Retired Nathan Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan in 2017 played 22 games and averaged 7 disposals.
Season Review: Nathan Brown http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-10-01/season-review-nathan-brown via @stkildafc
da7f6ceb4eed2fc7561157b00a0e0372.jpg

Last edited:
He had a good year but possibly tired towards the end . However he tried hard throughout the season . Didn't miss a game which would have surprised a lot of Collingwood supporters.
b8402fe84d1205045f12cead7b279ebc.jpg
Sorry for the intrusion but I’ve always been a huge backer of Brown and was disgusted that we didn’t match your offer last year.

Besides Buckley inexplicably making him a scapegoat after our loss to West Coast last year Nathan has actually been quite durable. Shoulder injury suffered early in 2014 and his knee reconstruction in 2011 being the primary source of all of his games missed.

Quick and strong and exactly what we need - but thank god Dunn had a super year because we would’ve otherwise been in trouble. Hope to see him continue to do well.

Sorry for the intrusion but I’ve always been a huge backer of Brown and was disgusted that we didn’t match your offer last year.

Besides Buckley inexplicably making him a scapegoat after our loss to West Coast last year Nathan has actually been quite durable. Shoulder injury suffered early in 2014 and his knee reconstruction in 2011 being the primary source of all of his games missed.

Quick and strong and exactly what we need - but thank god Dunn had a super year because we would’ve otherwise been in trouble. Hope to see him continue to do well.

He's only missed 7 games in the last 3 years now. That's not too shabby for an 'injury prone' tall.

Was consistently consistent throughout the year and rewarded with a top 10 finish in the B&F.

1. Seb Ross 159 votes
2. Dylan Roberton 124 votes
3. Jarryn Geary 121 votes
4. Jake Carlisle 119 votes
5. Jack Billings 110 votes
6. Jack Steven 108 votes
7. Jimmy Webster 88 votes
8. Jack Newnes 83
9. Jade Gresham 81 votes
10. Nathan Brown 78 votes

Stoked to have him. Exudes leadership and I reckon he's played a massive role in Snake, Gears and particularly Robbo having awesome seasons (in terms of physically being in the side and also his work off field).

I was so surprised when Collingwood let him go , I’ve always rated him as a very good full back . Was so happy when we got him although I didn’t understand the lack of fight by Collingwood. To be honest I thought we would make an offer and Collingwood would match it so I didn’t expect us to actually get him . Lucky for you guys that Dunn played well too but it was a huge risk to let him go and then to hope to get Dunn as well .

fc3e0cf69af395e2e6ea71faacbf54f4.jpg

Last edited:
St Kilda full back Nathan Brown has been in the game for longer than almost every player at Linen House Centre, but that doesn’t make January any easier for the premiership defender.

After crossing from Collingwood at the end of 2016 as an unrestricted free agent, the 29-year-old played every game in his first season at the Saints.

Speaking from St Kilda’s weeklong training camp at Geelong Grammar, Brown said a combination of the workload and the weather made the first month of the year the toughest month of the pre-season.

“It’s by far the hardest month,” Brown told saints.com.au from Geelong Grammar.

“The conditions are really hot and dry. Typically you do a lot of running to a high standard and introduce tackling, high speed and game simulation as well.

“So you’re getting a bit of a taste of footy, while still getting those big running sessions in so it’s definitely tough.”

After taking last year to adapt to St Kilda’s training program and game style, Brown said himself and the clubs other recruits from the 2016 trade period – Koby Stevens and Jack Steele – have been able to leave their mark this summer.

“Coming across to the Saints, the training program is a lot different to what I’m used to and others too (Stevens and Steele),” he said.

“Last year was that transitional year where you try and get up to speed with the St Kilda style of play; the quick bursts; running type of game.

“Whereas this pre-season, I feel we’re up to speed with the rest of the boys and we can lead from the front and be confident in the way we play and our fitness level."

Brown, who finished 10th in the Trevor Barker Award last season, is at the back end of his 12th pre-season and knows if he can complete the majority of the summer it will set him up for the year ahead.

“For me, it’s about ticking off every session and feeling great with the body,” he said.

“I find that if you tick off sessions – you don’t have to be a superstar in every session – you generally don’t get injured throughout the year. Touch wood when I say that, but that’s my mantra.

“The more you’re amongst the boys and amongst the hard work and the more you get to practice the game plan, the more confident you go into the season.”

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

St Kilda key defender Nathan Brown says an important ingredient for success this year will be self-belief, as the club looks to return to the finals stage for the first time since 2011.

Despite confidence building performances against eventual premiers Richmond, Greater Western Sydney and Hawthorn at their Tasmanian fortress, Alan Richardson’s men finished just outside the top-eight for a second consecutive season in 2017.

With so much experience departing in the past 12 months in the form of Nick Riewoldt, Leigh Montagna and Sean Dempster’s retirements, Brown says the next generation must find that inner belief in 2018 if the Saints are to return to September.

“With any young group that has a lot of potential, it’s about believing in yourself and knowing that you can actually win it and you’re actually a good side,” Brown told Melbourne radio station RSN on Friday morning.

“I think that’s half the battle; having the confidence and belief not only individually, but as a team.

“I think this year will be a bit about believing that we’re good enough and that we actually belong in the top eight and hopefully deeper in September.”

In his second pre-season season at Linen House Centre since crossing from Collingwood as an unrestricted free agent, Brown hasn’t missed a session and is now ready to phase the running out of the program as games approach.

“It’s been a fairly standard summer for me in terms of training,” he said.

“We’ve put a good block of training away over the summer and now it’s the most exciting part of the pre-season, when you put the jumpers on and start match sim and playing games.

“I think our prospects this year are pretty exciting, so that’s why I’m excited about the year ahead in my second year at the club.”

Brown finished 10th in last year’s Trevor Barker Award after playing every game in his first season in red, white and black.

Can’t wait for 2018 season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only criticism of Brown is he is so negative he hardly gets any of the ball himself.

That has historically been a defender's domain.

His old teammate Simon Prestigiacomo finished with just over 1600 touches in 233 games.

Nathan Brown missed the last fortnight of football through a knee injury, but a quicker-than-expected recovery could see him return to the side this weekend, pending how he gets through Thursday’s main training session.

With the absence of Jake Carlisle, the key defender’s size and experience would be a welcome return for the Saints, who have relied heavily on strong performances from youngsters Logan Austin, Bailey Rice and Brandon White.

Go Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back