Retired Nathan Brown

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Nath showed us what he will bring to the table at the intraclub tonight. He is a no nonesense fullback who just gets sht done. What I noticed most was his clever, subtle use of the body in aerial contests to slightly turn his opponent. Also reads the footy in flight early. Didn't get much of the pill and when he did it was often a quick kick under pressure. Got caught in a big tackle by Battle but aside from that was pretty much mistake free from what I saw. Wasn't overly vocally but was often pointing and instructing his co-defenders on where to set up.

I think the other reason Nath is going to be a real asset to us is his work on the training track and in meetings. The forwards will benefit from trying to get away from him and the backs will learn from his experience and knowledge of the craft. Also a leader and gun bloke. Rapt to be his advocate this year! Welcome to the Club Nathan!

Haven't had a chance to post about Nath much but after catching up and watching the game today I wanted to give him a pat on the back. Had a below par game in round one against Melbourne - albeit without much (read nil) help from the midfield - but bounced back strongly on one of the best in the business in Josh Kennedy. By my count was only beaten three time - once after a quick WCE clearance in the second quarter and Josh's second and fourth goals when as Richo said the dam wall had been broken. It's a bit disappoting that Kennedy ended up with the four as it doesn't truly reflect the contest between the two. Was particularly impressed with Nath's one on one body work and spoiling.
I think after two rounds we have seen what we can expect from Browny. While he's not Stephen Silvagni unless our midfield gets belted Nathan can be relied upon to compete well with the gorilla.

A very good get. No, he's not Daniel Talia, but he will compete damn hard and not give his opponent any breathing space. Will be a very good cog in our machine if we can get each area working in synch.

Another really good game from Nathan. His first kick was a nervous moon ball but after that he was faultless. Played his role in a really strong performance by the back 6. Played mainly on Darcy Moore who received Bronx cheers when he took a mark in the third quarter. In my opinion, Dylan Roberton's red hot form can be partly attributed to Brown and Carlisle giving him added confidence to attack. 14 touches at 85% and zero goals kicked on him. 3 from 4 now for Brown.

Another really good game from Nathan. His first kick was a nervous moon ball but after that he was faultless. Played his role in a really strong performance by the back 6. Played mainly on Darcy Moore who received Bronx cheers when he took a mark in the third quarter. In my opinion, Dylan Roberton's red hot form can be partly attributed to Brown and Carlisle giving him added confidence to attack. 14 touches at 85% and zero goals kicked on him. 3 from 4 now for Brown.
His kicking is better than what I thought it was. Not that his a great kick but he knows his limits and doesn't turn it over much. Been a good addition to the team.

All those people who questioned whether he should be in the side just look back to the last three games. Ok Josh Kennedy got 4 on him . 2 of those was when our side ran out of legs . Don't know who he was playing on in the Brisbane game which says something straight away doesn't it. He also put Darcy Moore out of the game . He might have been struggling at Collingwood the last few years but he wouldn't be the first to win a premiership early in their career then struggle later. Best thing he could have done was to move on when he did. You can just tell he's got a new spring in his step at the Saints.

Sent via HAL

Nathan Brown must be high up in our best and fairest for this year . He played on the Suns champion Lynch on the weekend and held him goalless in a great display of defensive back playing.

Sent via Imagination, HAL traded.

Another great performance by Nathan at full back against the Dockers . He gave their full forward a real bath . Been a great year by Nathan , he has rarely been beaten . Not many predicted him to do that well this year . He has been one of the form full backs in the AFL this year.

Completely snuffed out Jack Reiwoldt he kicked one goal after the final siren . Another great performance by Brown , has been a super pick up for the Saints , plays week after week with no fuss and is beating all forwards. Probably one of his best seasons ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brown followed Reiwoldt out to chb and beat him there too . Just when you think he's not fast enough to play there he proves you wrong. What a year he's having.

Nath is deceptively quick. Good closing speed. His best attribute IMO is his "backline craft". The subtle way he turns his opponent, puts pressure on the arm etc without giving away a free kick. When you watch him closely as I have you notice his class in this area. Only real weakness is confidence with ball in hand. Is a reliable left foot at training but on game day kicks up and unders if he can't handball. Outstanding first season to date at the Saints. In our top 5 most important players IMO. I get the feeling you love Browny, BT66?

Nath is deceptively quick. Good closing speed. His best attribute IMO is his "backline craft". The subtle way he turns his opponent, puts pressure on the arm etc without giving away a free kick. When you watch him closely as I have you notice his class in this area. Only real weakness is confidence with ball in hand. Is a reliable left foot at training but on game day kicks up and unders if he can't handball. Outstanding first season to date at the Saints. In our top 5 most important players IMO. I get the feeling you love Browny, BT66?

I never realised he was this good , I remember in the grand final he played well but after that I didn't realise notice him , was he playing well for Collingwood over the last few years ?

I never realised he was this good , I remember in the grand final he played well but after that I didn't realise notice him , was he playing well for Collingwood over the last few years ?

Nah this is no doubt his best season for a few years. Lost confidence and had some injuries towards the end at Collingwood. He thinks St Kildas S+C program has helped him regain some zip and power.

Apart from a couple of poor games , he has been a good pick up for the Saints this year. They will easily get another year or two out of him . By the time he finishes hopefully Goddard will have some form and fitness to take his place . So in a year or two we may have the bookends of Paddy and Goddard that we all hoped for .

Didn't expect him to have such an injury free run!

If you'd asked me whether Carlisle and Brown would play 20 games in 2017 at the start of the year I'd have been pretty likely to say no.

Both been super reliable on field and very well managed by the looks of it.

He had a good year but possibly tired towards the end . However he tried hard throughout the season . Didn't miss a game which would have surprised a lot of Collingwood supporters.
b8402fe84d1205045f12cead7b279ebc.jpg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back