List Mgmt. Nathan Brown to play elsewhere in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

"I couldn't believe how fit the blokes were her when I arrived. Definitely the hardest preseason I've had" usually gets a run.
I did get a good chuckle when both Beams and Crisp threw out that line when they were traded!

I did get a good chuckle when both Beams and Crisp threw out that line when they were traded!

Guess they all say it when they go to a New Club. As saying the Opposite would be Dumb

I've read the last couple of pages and came to a conclusion Browny was a money hungry useless shitcampaigner that couldn't get motivated in a brothel.

bigfooty, I dip my hat to you

I've read the last couple of pages and came to a conclusion Browny was a money hungry useless shitcampaigner that couldn't get motivated in a brothel.

bigfooty, I dip my hat to you

Welcome to bigfooty PieBeast.

He has been a good servant and this will be his last major contract so fully support his decision with no ill feelings.

He was critical in 2010 and for that I will always think fondly of Browny.

Why not comapriable? Williams will be gone as well so it kinda is comparable

Because Williams is five years younger than Brown and would have been delisted this year except for North giving him a lifeline. StKilda on the other hand secured Brown as a free agent because they rated him and decided they wanted him.

Not comparable in any meaningful way.

Not entirely sure StKilda even need him given they also get Carlisle back this year. But thats their issue. Good luck to him, hes been a solid servant and its sad to see him go.
Yeah we badly needed a 2nd key defender , fisher retired so would of left us with Dempster playing on the second tall. I think everything just aligned timing wise for us to make a play at Brown. Godard has a bad injury the other key defenders on the market I don't believe had the credentials of brown and we have plenty of cap space and we didn't have to trade for him. For us I think it was abit of a no brainer. Not sure what his intentions were however .

He'll be 30 in two years so retirement is a possibility. Has a three year contract iirc with stkilda and no reason to think he won't play out the full three years. Not remotely comparable to Marley.

Club had told Marley that he was Gone and He should look for a New Club

(Log in to remove this ad.)

YES - IF they had offer earlier to him. Why wait?
Because we offered a scrub like Mayne (I've watched most Freo home games live for the past two years, feel entitled to have that opinion of him) $500k a year and he probably rightly felt he deserved more?

Why should he have taken unders? All the best to him at the Saints, he'll smash it for them.

Yeah we badly needed a 2nd key defender , fisher retired so would of left us with Dempster playing on the second tall. I think everything just aligned timing wise for us to make a play at Brown. Godard has a bad injury the other key defenders on the market I don't believe had the credentials of brown and we have plenty of cap space and we didn't have to trade for him. For us I think it was abit of a no brainer. Not sure what his intentions were however .

Fair enough I'd overlooked Goddards injury. Surely Dempster could cover until Goddard returned but each to their own. Carlisle and Brown will be good together, I just wonder if a key back should have been StKildas priority in the off season.

Last edited:
Not entirely sure StKilda even need him given they also get Carlisle back this year. But thats their issue. Good luck to him, hes been a solid servant and its sad to see him go.
Apparently the plan is for Brown to play the shutdown role at full back on the other side's "big banana", freeing up Carlisle to play more across half back, in an intercepting role.

Carlisle was also pencilled in to do the back-up rucking last season prior to his suspension, so he will presumably be doing that this year as well, as Bruce sucks at it!

It also means Dempster is freed up to play the role he's best suited to again, which is more about going 3rd-up to help out, taking intercept marks, rebounding and so-on.

Ideally we'll want Goddard to be putting huge pressure on Nathan by the end of the year though, once he's fully recovered from his ruptured achilles.

It frees up Carlisle to be an attacking intercept marking chb instead of a dour shut down full back.

Fair enough I'd overlooked Goddards injury. Surely Dempster could cover until Goddard returned but each to their own. Carlisle and Brown will be good together, I just wonder if a key back should have been StKildas priority in the off season.

KPD was their most pressing need. Have good forward and midfield coverage. What do you think was a higher priority?

We were stupid to let Brown go. We weakened ourselves and strengthened an opponent. We've taken a big gamble that Keeffe will turn out well for us after his hiatus. I can't see the logic in the decision outside of perhaps really valuing kicking skills in all our defenders. Personally I feel we could have carried one limited kick at full back for the defensive and structural stability Brown would have offered the side. Smart recruiting by St Kilda who I think will be tough this year.

We were stupid to let Brown go. We weakened ourselves and strengthened an opponent. We've taken a big gamble that Keeffe will turn out well for us after his hiatus. I can't see the logic in the decision outside of perhaps really valuing kicking skills in all our defenders. Personally I feel we could have carried one limited kick at full back for the defensive and structural stability Brown would have offered the side. Smart recruiting by St Kilda who I think will be tough this year.

Agree completely.

I'm still gutted that it happened too, didn't think he would actually leave, was one of my favourites.

People under-valued him.

I think Saints will be tough this year also,they are along with the Demons are our biggest threat among victorian teams to playing finals this year.

I don,t feel the angst so much at Brown leaving as him joining a club we will be battling against and I think the Saints definitely needed KPD,s.

But we got lots of young KPD's coming through.. like that Marsh kid... and ugh.. Moore can play there right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back