Nathan Buckley, An underrated coach ?

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I think so, got an severely injury depleted Pies side into the top four this season (admittedly a few cards fell their way in the final round) and the Jaidyn Stephenson betting suspension for 10 weeks hurt them a lot too. But somehow, Buckley manages to grind results and wins from extraordinary circumstances.

I honestly don't think the Pies is that talent laden, yet somehow Bucks has kept to mould them into a legit flag threat despite all perceived criticism from from internal and external sources..

Not sure if Bucks gets the credit be deserves both from The Media and Pies fans. I think his stock as a coach has risen considerably the past 18 months.

Nov 8, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Buckley shipped off some of the bigger personalities and rebuilt the list and culture of a club and got within a goal of the ultimate prize last year. He did something in the medium rather than short term interest of the club helped by having very solid support from the president of the club. He also did this after taking the reigns from one of the most successful coaches ever.

He does deserve credit. I rate him much higher than premiership winning coaches like Worsfold or Longmire.

I still get the feeling that purely for the lols he will keep falling short of that elusive premiership in heartbreaking fashion.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
I think so, got an severely injury depleted Pies side into the top four this season (admittedly a few cards fell their way in the final round) and the Jaidyn Stephenson betting suspension for 10 weeks hurt them a lot too. But somehow, Buckley manages to grind results and wins from extraordinary circumstances.

I honestly don't think the Pies is that talent laden, yet somehow Bucks has kept to mould them into a legit flag threat despite all perceived criticism from from internal and external sources..

Not sure if Bucks gets the credit be deserves both from The Media and Pies fans. I think his stock as a coach has risen considerably the past 18 months.

Started off with five years of consistently declining results before things came together last year. So needs to do a fair bit to overcome his start, a couple of good years isn't enough, he needs a flag.

Goomba1973

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
New York Mets
Yep
2018 GF ( very close to a premiership )
2019 Nursed an injured pies to a top 4 spot
2020 will be overrated is he doesn't get the cheque book out and give Grundy a 5 year deal

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
To a certain extent. I do think that it took too long for Collingwood to get going. From when he took over to 2018 they were on a downward trajectory. Collingwood were extremely patient with him.

Having said that, the players clearly like him which is what I think saved his job in 2017. And he has done well.

At the end of the day, it’s hard to make a case for a coach if they don’t won the flag.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
Started off with five years of consistently declining results before things came together last year.

To a certain extent. I do think that it took too long for Collingwood to get going. From when he took over to 2018 they were on a downward trajectory. Collingwood were extremely patient with him.

Having said that, the players clearly like him which is what I think saved his job in 2017. And he has done well.

At the end of the day, it’s hard to make a case for a coach if they don’t won the flag.

Some still have a complete misunderstanding of where the list was at when Buckley took over, and how things went during his first couple of seasons as head coach.

Look at the 2011 GF side (which is just before Buckley took over the head role), and then where the list was at age and injury-wise after the 2013 EF. 10 out of 22 players from the 2011 GF were 28 years or older by the time the 2012 season started (and Leigh Brown retired in the off-season). Literally half the side from that GF (11 players) had left the club by the end of the 2013 season, and a further three had left by the end of 2014. Many of those had major injuries during that 2-3 year period, and were either traded or (mostly, 9 of the 14) retired.

Buckley wasn't working with a list on the up. They'd hit their peak (mid-2010 to mid-2011), and were coming down the other side of the mountain. There was no deliberate destruction or disassembly of a "dynasty" for the sake of ego, or wastage of a prime list. Yes, the Pies still had some good younger players to work with, but the list was in a very different place 2-3 years into his tenure, and did need to be rebuilt to stay competitive and push towards another flag.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Buckley shipped off some of the bigger personalities and rebuilt the list and culture of a club and got within a goal of the ultimate prize last year. He did something in the medium rather than short term interest of the club helped by having very solid support from the president of the club. He also did this after taking the reigns from one of the most successful coaches ever.

He does deserve credit. I rate him much higher than premiership winning coaches like Worsfold or Longmire.

I still get the feeling that purely for the lols he will keep falling short of that elusive premiership in heartbreaking fashion.

I can tell you Wooshas 2 GFs (v Roosy) were with a list he built - for example he left Embley & Fletcher out of an elimination final over having a wine with lunch. Either Woosha or Roosy could have been a 2 time premiership coach given luck in the running.
There are 2 sorts of coaches, the short list is the premiership coaches.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Probably my favourite coach in the league. He's always been far more honest and raw with the media than most. He's happy to discuss his own shortcomings and what he's done to improve them.

For everything he's copped for being 'FIGJAM', he's done a lot to overcome it and show more humility than most other coaches.

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2005
La Côte d'Azur
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Everton FC
the richmond supporters are going to love this
Why would you say that? I think Bucks has done an excellent job and he does have exceptional talent on the list.. Sidebootowm, Pendulbury, OfSpeed, Grundy, Thomas, Elliot, that guy who's out for betting, that guy who's out for drugs. Miohcheque.

From afar I rate Bucks as a coach, man and mentor. Reckon he will snag a flag... possibly this year.

I think since he read Konrad Marshall's book he has improved out of sight.

Daka

Premium Platinum
Nov 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
He certainly has improved as a coach, when most people thought he would be sacked & they kept him as coach the Pies players say he changed his ways.

I think most coaches today that are successful are more "Man Managers" this is why young coaches can relate more to players and less dinosaur sprays Buckley was certainly very angry early days in the Box & probably took it out on the players a bit too much he def learnt that off Malthouse who was an old school coach.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Why would you say that? I think Bucks has done an excellent job and he does have exceptional talent on the list.. Sidebootowm, Pendulbury, OfSpeed, Grundy, Thomas, Elliot, that guy who's out for betting, that guy who's out for drugs. Miohcheque.

From afar I rate Bucks as a coach, man and mentor. Reckon he will snag a flag... possibly this year.

I think since he read Konrad Marshall's book he has improved out of sight.
No coincidence he changed his entire approach in 2018. Followed the exact process of a previous premiership winning coach. Bigfooty amnesia at its finest.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
He's achieved less than Ross Lyon to this point in time. Do people think Lyon is under-rated?

That said I like Bucks. Honest, forthcoming, frank. I actually wanted him at Richmond to replace Wallace.

pablo668

Premiership Player
May 3, 2007
Claremont
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
I'm really not sure about where he is rated, but I do think he has groen to be a very astute coach.
Came really close last year.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Some still have a complete misunderstanding of where the list was at when Buckley took over, and how things went during his first couple of seasons as head coach.

Look at the 2011 GF side (which is just before Buckley took over the head role), and then where the list was at age and injury-wise after the 2013 EF. 10 out of 22 players from the 2011 GF were 28 years or older by the time the 2012 season started (and Leigh Brown retired in the off-season). Literally half the side from that GF (11 players) had left the club by the end of the 2013 season, and a further three had left by the end of 2014. Many of those had major injuries during that 2-3 year period, and were either traded or (mostly, 9 of the 14) retired.

Buckley wasn't working with a list on the up. They'd hit their peak (mid-2010 to mid-2011), and were coming down the other side of the mountain. There was no deliberate destruction or disassembly of a "dynasty" for the sake of ego, or wastage of a prime list. Yes, the Pies still had some good younger players to work with, but the list was in a very different place 2-3 years into his tenure, and did need to be rebuilt to stay competitive and push towards another flag.

Seen this post many times before. It doesn't change the fact that Buckley took a side backwards for five years before having now two good years, and ergo he doesn't get as much credit as he might terms of his coaching performance over the past couple of years.

Back