Nathan Buckley, An underrated coach ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seen this post many times before. It doesn't change the fact that Buckley took a side backwards for five years before having now two good years, and ergo he doesn't get as much credit as he might terms of his coaching performance over the past couple of years.
What direction can you take a side from Premiership and Grand Finalist? Up...?

Seen this post many times before. It doesn't change the fact that Buckley took a side backwards for five years before having now two good years, and ergo he doesn't get as much credit as he might terms of his coaching performance over the past couple of years.

You've seen it before, but apparently the reasons for the list changing and the results "going backwards" don't quite seem to be registering with you.

He is probably the most professional coach out there. Love how he goes about it.

Took a bit to get going but Collingwood made the right call not to sack him when the media was putting on pressure.

I rate him. Collingwood could have turfed him after 5 years but they stuck with him and now they are reaping the benefits of a naturally improved, experienced coach. I enjoy hearing him talk on the radio and tv too. I think the Collingwood players are very fortunate to a have a mentor/coach like Buckley there.

8 years coaching for:
prelim 2012
semi final 2013
4 years no finals 2014-2017
grand final 2018
top 4 so far 2019

So i don't have to respond to the idiotic he took over a GF team and went 'backwards' ....he took over a team that had been contending since 2007.

The man can coach. Like a lot of good coaches, not all mind you, it takes a couple of poor seasons to find your mojo, and he sure has. Needs to win a flag though.

How many coaches won flags first year? Off the top Joyce, Scott...

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think so, got an severely injury depleted Pies side into the top four this season (admittedly a few cards fell their way in the final round) and the Jaidyn Stephenson betting suspension for 10 weeks hurt them a lot too. But somehow, Buckley manages to grind results and wins from extraordinary circumstances.

I honestly don't think the Pies is that talent laden, yet somehow Bucks has kept to mould them into a legit flag threat despite all perceived criticism from from internal and external sources..

Not sure if Bucks gets the credit be deserves both from The Media and Pies fans. I think his stock as a coach has risen considerably the past 18 months.

No offence but it's not just Buckley it's the whole footy department that have brought about culture change after the 2017 season.

Inside that you can credit him for relaxing his "my way or the highway" attitude.

In reference to the injuries, the reason it's been successful is because they're a system based team - they're not personnel reliant (largely). Their style in simple terms is a swarm and spread combined with structuring goal side and behind the ball - it reduces the need for two way running and reduces the risk if the contest / stoppage is lost.It's tactically brilliant, certainly you can credit Nathan for that.

As far as the question goes I don't think he is underrated.

Bucks is the ultimate professional. I think its a bit harsh to say the list isn't talent laden. Lots of talent there, particularly in the midfield

Because they've developed well, IMO the list we have is not a wc or giants. Lots of workman like obedient to the cause type players with varying tricks up there sleeve with half a dozen or so blue chip types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take...

He strikes me as a bit of a narcissist and the “nice guy” act comes across as disingenuous. It seems a bit coincidental that he all of a sudden became some fun-loving jovial guy right after Hardwick was lauded for exactly that in 2017, so I definitely have to question the sincerity of it all. He essentially turned into a good bloke overnight and I don’t buy it.

From a pure coaching perspective, it’s pretty obvious last year he was riding on the coattails of Richmond’s success in 2017 and he was unable to develop and implement his own philosophy. He then experimented with West Coast’s gamestyle this season but seemingly couldn’t pull it off consistently. It’s a shame he never credited Hardwick for their resurgence in 2018, because a lot of Collingwood players were quite vocal about taking elements from our premiership winning team and bringing them across to The Holden Centre.

There are also massive question marks surrounding the culture at Collingwood so I’m not really sure what legacy Buckley has built there exactly. Collingwood tend to put up a facade and act like it’s all dandy behind the scenes, but the constant rumours of infighting and player fall out never seem to go away. The reality is that club has been in damage control due to off-field incidents for a large part of Buckley’s reign, so you do have to question his leadership qualities and what type of show he is running there.

One thing I will give him credit for is that he refuses to use injuries as an excuse for their performances. He’s an intelligent man and he’s aware that Collingwood’s top ten players have been available for the majority of the season. Most of their injuries have been to role or depth players and Buckley acknowledged after the Richmond game that it was a structural problem and not a personnel problem. After their win against Adelaide, we never heard about how much they missed Daniel Wells, Lynden Dunn, etc. Injuries is just a convenient excuse for Collingwood fans to use when they don’t play well, so kudos to Buckley for rising above that crap. He knows how underwhelming they have been throughout most of the season.

In summary, the guy is a good ordinary coach who loves talking to the media as he considers himself a respected voice in the game. Personally, I could reel off a dozen more coaches I would rather listen to than him, but good on him for giving it a crack. Unfortunately I never see him winning that elusive flag as Collingwood just aren’t that good a side and Buckley doesn’t have the tactical nous to go all the way. I actually think they’ve underachieved especially when you consider their star studded midfield which was dubbed “the greatest of all time” in some parts of the football world.

Collingwood aren’t that good a side hey and you can’t see them winning a flag.

Interesting comments coming from a supporter of a team that got creamed at their prime last year in a PF. Further to this, why would he give credit to a coach he dismantled on that given evening. Emulated? Lol. Surpassed more like it.

With regards to not winning a flag, let’s just say “what if” that block on Maynard was rewarded as a free kick?

Your foresight is questionable.

Bucks sacrificed his position by off loading what he perceived to be troublesome players, some which oozed talent. He knew there would be some regression by doing this, but he persevered and has now gained a lot of respect.

“In Bucks We Trust”

Their midfield has always been very strong in his tenure but over the last 18 months he's restructured the forward line to embrace 'small ball' which is probably inspired by richmond to an extent but every team borrows tactics from successful sides. he has to take a lot of credit for evolving the team to where it as this point.

Unleashing cox in the prelim last year was something no one expected and richmond had no answers for it and that's why it worked so well. But I reckon they've put too much stock in that performance which has maybe derailed the forward line at times this year.

Off the field i think he's the pretty much flawless. Says all the right things without sounding robotic and resorting to cliches and it's pretty obvious the players love him.

In short i think he's easily the second best coach in the AFL behind David Teague.

He never seems to lament or feel sorry for himself. He gets on with the job and turns everything into a new challenge with very little negativity.
You really get a glimpse into the psyche every time he speaks. The mind of a champion and his footballing career proves that.

My take...

He strikes me as a bit of a narcissist and the “nice guy” act comes across as disingenuous. It seems a bit coincidental that he all of a sudden became some fun-loving jovial guy right after Hardwick was lauded for exactly that in 2017, so I definitely have to question the sincerity of it all. He essentially turned into a good bloke overnight and I don’t buy it.

From a pure coaching perspective, it’s pretty obvious last year he was riding on the coattails of Richmond’s success in 2017 and he was unable to develop and implement his own philosophy. He then experimented with West Coast’s gamestyle this season but seemingly couldn’t pull it off consistently. It’s a shame he never credited Hardwick for their resurgence in 2018, because a lot of Collingwood players were quite vocal about taking elements from our premiership winning team and bringing them across to The Holden Centre.

There are also massive question marks surrounding the culture at Collingwood so I’m not really sure what legacy Buckley has built there exactly. Collingwood tend to put up a facade and act like it’s all dandy behind the scenes, but the constant rumours of infighting and player fall out never seem to go away. The reality is that club has been in damage control due to off-field incidents for a large part of Buckley’s reign, so you do have to question his leadership qualities and what type of show he is running there.

One thing I will give him credit for is that he refuses to use injuries as an excuse for their performances. He’s an intelligent man and he’s aware that Collingwood’s top ten players have been available for the majority of the season. Most of their injuries have been to role or depth players and Buckley acknowledged after the Richmond game that it was a structural problem and not a personnel problem. After their win against Adelaide, we never heard about how much they missed Daniel Wells, Lynden Dunn, etc. Injuries is just a convenient excuse for Collingwood fans to use when they don’t play well, so kudos to Buckley for rising above that crap. He knows how underwhelming they have been throughout most of the season.

In summary, the guy is a good ordinary coach who loves talking to the media as he considers himself a respected voice in the game. Personally, I could reel off a dozen more coaches I would rather listen to than him, but good on him for giving it a crack. Unfortunately I never see him winning that elusive flag as Collingwood just aren’t that good a side and Buckley doesn’t have the tactical nous to go all the way. I actually think they’ve underachieved especially when you consider their star studded midfield which was dubbed “the greatest of all time” in some parts of the football world.

I read your name, then suspended, then Richmond. What you typed is not worthy of my time. I know it still hurts that PF last year, I would very much like that it is repeated again this year in a GF. Your a hateful little person. Footy is to be enjoyed from all angles, you have no idea what the game is about.

I dunno, are they overperforming with the talent they have? They do seem to move the ball well, a lot of elite ball users like Sidebottom and Pendlebury, and I'd say their system has definitely helped that. Bucks deserves a lot of credit for that. I rewatched the 2017 Queens Birthday Match, which I saw live but have never seen on telly, and Collingwood were just so much cleaner with the ball than Melbourne. Melbourne just brought superior pressure to bear. When their structures break down they do seem to lose badly, though, like against North. I'm not sure Bucks gameplan is the most flexible, but it's not the least either (looking closer to home...).

Buckley shipped off some of the bigger personalities and rebuilt the list and culture of a club and got within a goal of the ultimate prize last year. He did something in the medium rather than short term interest of the club helped by having very solid support from the president of the club. He also did this after taking the reigns from one of the most successful coaches ever.

He does deserve credit. I rate him much higher than premiership winning coaches like Worsfold or Longmire.

I still get the feeling that purely for the lols he will keep falling short of that elusive premiership in heartbreaking fashion.
Not sure about Worsfold because Eagles were pretty terrible but Longmire for sure. Amazing list with the best player in the AFL during his prime for free outside of the salary cap (almost) and still not to win a flag. Horrible.

My take...

I am very, very disappointed.
Not with the five paragraphs of complete dibble you have written but for the fact that I kept reading it to the end.
As the post was set out well, I was hopeful of finding some useful insight hidden somewhere in-between the self indulged crap, that just kept giving.
Sadly I was mistaken and that wasted time, I will never get back again.

I dunno, are they overperforming with the talent they have? They do seem to move the ball well, a lot of elite ball users like Sidebottom and Pendlebury, and I'd say their system has definitely helped that. Bucks deserves a lot of credit for that. I rewatched the 2017 Queens Birthday Match, which I saw live but have never seen on telly, and Collingwood were just so much cleaner with the ball than Melbourne. Melbourne just brought superior pressure to bear. When their structures break down they do seem to lose badly, though, like against North. I'm not sure Bucks gameplan is the most flexible, but it's not the least either (looking closer to home...).

Sidebottom has become so overrated as a ball user and footballer it's not funny. Loves an OOTF or a dinky hospital handpass or kick. I wish he'd stop mucking around and just take the direct, damaging route more often. He's got the tools to be a much better player than he is. Fitness has never been an issue (he's been among the top 2-3 runners at Collingwood seemingly forever), so it's either usage/coaching or mindset.

His best footy was from 2012-2016, yet since then, all the Brownlow votes and B&Fs and recognition and plaudits have come. It's like he was so underrated and overlooked for so long that people are doing too much to redress it now, causing to overrate him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back