Mega Thread Nathan Buckley coaching Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting read...

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley blunders on Maxwell, Keeffe

Nathan Buckley's virtuosity as a media performer, willingness to face the cameras, make hard calls and even to accept blame on occasion have worked in his favour. Photo: Getty Images

Nathan Buckley has rightly put his players on notice for what was probably the low watermark for Collingwood since he succeeded Mick Malthouse. The coach said the players had placed themselves ''in the danger zone'' regardless of ''who you are, where you've been or what you've done''.

But Buckley shouldn't spare himself and his coaching panel when examining the carcass of Collingwood-on-Sunday, either. While the performance was awful enough for the coach to question the collective effort, at least one mystifying selection call contributed to the scale of the 64-point defeat that has confirmed a sharp descent from a team that had harboured delusions of top-four grandeur.

Specifically, Buckley erred at selection by dropping Lachie Keeffe and in asking Nick Maxwell to play on Essendon's rangy key forward Jake Carlisle. Jake has been receiving advice from Wayne Carey, but no one could have imagined he would produce Carey-like numbers (19 marks, eight contested, four goals) for the first time in his fledgling forward career. In a match in which the teams had almost equal forward entries, Carlisle turned a likely arm wrestle into a rout.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...well-keeffe-20140714-zt737.html#ixzz37UCw4VU4

Interesting read...

Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley blunders on Maxwell, Keeffe

Nathan Buckley's virtuosity as a media performer, willingness to face the cameras, make hard calls and even to accept blame on occasion have worked in his favour. Photo: Getty Images

Nathan Buckley has rightly put his players on notice for what was probably the low watermark for Collingwood since he succeeded Mick Malthouse. The coach said the players had placed themselves ''in the danger zone'' regardless of ''who you are, where you've been or what you've done''.

But Buckley shouldn't spare himself and his coaching panel when examining the carcass of Collingwood-on-Sunday, either. While the performance was awful enough for the coach to question the collective effort, at least one mystifying selection call contributed to the scale of the 64-point defeat that has confirmed a sharp descent from a team that had harboured delusions of top-four grandeur.

Specifically, Buckley erred at selection by dropping Lachie Keeffe and in asking Nick Maxwell to play on Essendon's rangy key forward Jake Carlisle. Jake has been receiving advice from Wayne Carey, but no one could have imagined he would produce Carey-like numbers (19 marks, eight contested, four goals) for the first time in his fledgling forward career. In a match in which the teams had almost equal forward entries, Carlisle turned a likely arm wrestle into a rout.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...well-keeffe-20140714-zt737.html#ixzz37UCw4VU4

Glad a Jurno Tell’s the Truth

If the Voss saga is any indication, the media will howl for you to sack Buckley and then pan you mercilessly if you do it.

Easy to scapegoat the coach... plenty of my fellow supporters were doing it last year but when your team is struggling it is easy to overestimate the effect of a quick fix. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Once they're gone, there is no undo button.

I don't know enough about your club and your list to comment more deeply than that, but I hope your admin are looking at the full chess board rather than responding to reactionaries.

If the Voss saga is any indication, the media will howl for you to sack Buckley and then pan you mercilessly if you do it.

Easy to scapegoat the coach... plenty of my fellow supporters were doing it last year but when your team is struggling it is easy to overestimate the effect of a quick fix. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. Once they're gone, there is no undo button.

I don't know enough about your club and your list to comment more deeply than that, but I hope your admin are looking at the full chess board rather than responding to reactionaries.

Thanks for that input... one of the things that I have liked about Collingwood compared with other clubs is that we have given coaches time to build the list. There were countless times after 2004 that the media and AFL public (including Magpie fans) were calling for Mick's head, even at the start of 2010 - instead Collingwood kept an eye on the bigger picture/future and it eventually came good.
I feel the same about Bucks - there are clearly better coaches in the AFL, but many who would be on par, or worse, than Bucks. You don't achieve anything by sacking someone early in their tenure just to replace him with another inexperienced coach who could be a bigger risk. The best thing about Bucks is that he, for the most part, has put faith in the younger brigade - we really have to see how the continued development of these guys go before throwing him under a bus. (I would say at least another off-season and until mid-next year to get a good gauge of what this list could do)

I wouldn't have any fear. There will be no lynch mob at Collingwood.

So pleased to see so many of our supporters having such insight into the exact reasons for specific selection decisions by the club. You have to love a coach with such an inclusive coaching style. Where would we be if BF posters didn't know all there was to know about every selection and coaching decision.

Honestly, some people here need to get a grip if they really think they know that stuff. This is getting more and more like kindergarten every day.
Too many chiefs, not enough Indians.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...or too many who think they're chiefs but in reality know less than the indians.
or it could be that there's too many Indians who really should be chiefs or at least deputy chiefs or in the chief leadership group or maybe there's too many chiefs who really want to be Indians but they can't because there's already too many Indians.

I said at the end of last year that I would judge Buckley on how the team he has asked for and got plays under him this year. If we were to see the desperation and willingness to play for each other that we saw 2010/11 I would be happy, even if we weren't top 4/6. Fair to say he has failed this test.

When was the last time we won a game we shouldn't have, or where we clearly worked harder, were more willing and desperate than the other side? Maybe the first Carlton game we were more desperate and willing than them, but we were always expected to win that one. The Bulldogs, Suns, hell even Melbourne are showing more than we are.

I have nagging doubts about Buckley as a coach. He was a brilliant footballer, and has an incredible understanding of the game. But I question whether he has the ability to relate to those less brilliant and dedicated than he was. I can't think of a player who has come on under him (apart from completely new players like Langdon, Frost etc).

Respond to this week's debacle by winning 5 of the last 6 and a final and I will believe again.

So pleased to see so many of our supporters having such insight into the exact reasons for specific selection decisions by the club. You have to love a coach with such an inclusive coaching style. Where would we be if BF posters didn't know all there was to know about every selection and coaching decision.

Honestly, some people here need to get a grip if they really think they know that stuff. This is getting more and more like kindergarten every day.
What are you on about?:confused:

I was just watching the Anzac day game & watching Carlisle do bugger all on Keeffe.
It just reinforced what a bewildering decision it was to drop him for last weeks game. It was a matchup keeffe had already done well at in the past.

I was just watching the Anzac day game & watching Carlisle do bugger all on Keeffe.
It just reinforced what a bewildering decision it was to drop him for last weeks game. It was a matchup keeffe had already done well at in the past.

Agree - Was Total Idiotic design by Bucks

Looks like you've caught it too.
that was a joke post.. tongue firmly in cheek following up another poster joke about dropping him to the VFL... then you chime in all serious... who's the stupid one.. mate??just.. Koff!

To be fair, though, Carlisle started off the season in poor form and has only started to turn things around in the last 3-4 weeks, and Keefe had a shocker last week; he wasn't that illogical an out. (I am a bit biased, though, I thought he would be in the outs after last week.)

In hindsight, maybe we could have backed him in, but - in my case, at least - that's with the benefit of knowing how well Carlisle played.

What are you on about?:confused:
Pretty obvious isn't it? Some of the brain-dead posts on this board since the weekend declaring an understanding of what goes on inside the club from selection to coaches box from people who clearly wouldn't have the slightest clue are just embarrassing. Some of the loons even suggesting we should sack Bucks! :rolleyes:

I don't speak for anyone else here but right now, reading some of the utter dribble on this board makes me almost ashamed to be a Collingwood supporter. I get that people are disappointed and I'm quite used to some people just lashing out whenever there's something that doesn't go to plan but any AFL player or coach will tell you that there are a hell of a lot of factors that go into ultimate success and so many of them revolve around having a bit of luck. It's an insult to people's intelligence to suggest, without any understanding of what happens inside the club in relation to injuries or player management strategy, that the problem lies in one particular area whilst ignoring the bleeding obvious. I'm usually quite proud of this board as one of the more level headed places on BF but this week I'm struggling to find too much to be proud of. Right now, collectively we make Richmond supporters look like the most level headed supporters getting around!

To be fair, though, Carlisle started off the season in poor form and has only started to turn things around in the last 3-4 weeks, and Keefe had a shocker last week; he wasn't that illogical an out. (I am a bit biased, though, I thought he would be in the outs after last week.)

In hindsight, maybe we could have backed him in, but - in my case, at least - that's with the benefit of knowing how well Carlisle played.

Carlisle had 10 disposals & took 3 marks the week before. He also nabbed 2 goals with both Alipate Carlisle & Trengove injured for Port. Nothing like the 19 marks he took against us. Any way you look at it we were going to give either Daniher, Carlisle or Ryder a day out in their forward line due to a silly selection error. As i said earlier Bomber Thompson even conceded they were going to play carlisle in defence until they learned we had not picked Keeffe. I bet they couldn't believe their luck when the teams were announced.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back