Universal Love Nathan Buckley - The Greatest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty doesn't burst from center and bang them home on the run from 65m on the full as consistently as Buckley did.

Also imo Bucks more versatile, finds more of it and better field kick. Didnt see Martin manning up at CHB on T.Cloke like Bucka did on Carey! 😉

People also forget in the later 90s Bucks had a few games where he kicked 4 or 5 goals as a midfielder from midfield (not resting fwd).
Him and Willo had a few games there that stand out.
Too many drinks, meant Dusty was Bucks lite.

Wow, what great video clips loki!

It's been such a huge privilege to have this man dedicate 27 years of life to the Pies. His loyalty and commitment to the black and white has been beyond measure and unwavering through both better and poorer times. For that alone, he deserves the label of "Collingwood great".
Added to this, his superb football ability, astute football brain and impressive personal qualities have made him my personal hero. Recent events have not tarnished my perception of him as such.
Go well Bucks and thank you.

No worries mate, its heartfelt and genuine. Buckley has done so much for our club and all of us supporters over the journey, sometimes, we all lose sight of the brilliance and joy he gave us over the years.

Would love to see a savvy person with old pies games make a new "highlights" showing different goals, midfield breaks and hitting fwds on the title, some of his tougher work inside, etc

He wasn't just a once in a generation player he was a once in a lifetime!

the best and fairest should be named after bucks without a doubt, no one cares what Copeland did in the 1890s

It’s going to be an emotional day on Monday. Already tearing up thinking about it.

Love you Bucks.

I’m going to be switching on right as the ball is bounced. Can’t deal with the TV network’s hamfisted manner of dealing with this stuff.

I recall watching this game and Tony Shaw moving Bucks onto Wayne Carey.
If there is a list of his best games this would have to be included.
I was there, and he gave Carey a bath.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was lucky enough to see a fair bit of Bucks play
He dragged lesser teams on his back, was the equal of every great from his era ( yes near impossible to quantify) and one of the best kickers of a football I have had the pleasure to watch.
Coaching wise... a mixture of really crap luck injury wise/ not good enough assistants and game plan/ The umpire with a blind Labrador/and then for whatever reason to look backward instead of forward after 2018...
So very Collingwood.
Maybe a medal that celebrates the art of field kicking accuracy/disposal in Bucks name over the course of a year would be fitting?
It would be a good one for the players to aspire to..
Thanks Bucks!

Thinking about this more and more, he should have been allowed to at least coach one or 2 final games in Melb. Its irking me more and more that we don't have an opportunity to say thanks. Maybe its dawning on me that this time tomorrow he'll no longer be our coach.

The club could have continued to search for a coach given the announcement was already made.

Buckley was a champion, but jeez Len Thompson and Peter Daicos were a fraction better, and i didn't have the pleasure of seeing Bob Rose or Gordon Coventry.

Buckley was a champion, but jeez Len Thompson and Peter Daicos were a fraction better, and i didn't have the pleasure of seeing Bob Rose or Gordon Coventry.
Can't comment on Thompson as I'm only going by his stats, however I think Buckley shades Daicos mainly due to his consistently higher level.

Don't get me wrong Daics is my all time favorite, however Bucks was more even week on week (year on year) IMO, probably owing to the fact he wasn't injured as much. If Daics played as a full time mid as he did in 88 and a few other years and had less injuries it might be a different outcome. But he did miss a lot and then played up forward more where he was just brilliant. I'd say he was more mercurial and exciting to watch but that's just my humble opinion and an argument can be made either way.

As for Coventry, I'm surprised he's not spoken more in terms of our greatest ever particularly when you consider his goalkicking record, in that era year after year. Is it possible that record is underrated? I guess even when you look at best and fairests, forwards rarely win them.

The one farce is that none of our stars were in the afl team of the century, chosen by a panel which had a carlton flavour.

Really nice piece on the club website reflecting on Bucks influence and legacy at the club. Absolute legend of our club, and look forward to the club being able to farewell him appropriately.
Really hoping the boys can send him off with a win today, as that would be the perfect final act as the curtain drops on his career at the Pies....well done Bucks on a great career.

the best and fairest should be named after bucks without a doubt, no one cares what Copeland did in the 1890s

Not sure the club would steer away from the name Copeland. Maybe the club could have the best first year player win the Nathan Buckley award. I know we currently have the best young player award, but maybe make an award for just those in their first year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back