Universal Love Nathan Buckley - The Greatest.

Not sure the club would steer away from the name Copeland. Maybe the club could have the best first year player win the Nathan Buckley award. I know we currently have the best young player award, but maybe make an award for just those in their first year.
Maybe they could have a professionalism award named after Buckley, for the player who prepares himself the best. Effort at training, diet etc.

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
Maybe they could have a professionalism award named after Buckley, for the player who prepares himself the best. Effort at training, diet etc.
I was thinking something similar also as in most dedicated but there's an award after Gavin Brown, leading desires indicator. Seems like most bases are covered. Perhaps most brownlow votes in a season, not sure that has the same ring to it.

I wonder if they would ask for his input before naming an award after him. Although I’m pretty sure whatever it was for he’d decline.
You'd think he'd turn it down, but it'd be a shame if he's not recognised with something. Maybe something at the holden centre, though it wouldn't be seen widely.

Gaspard

Team Captain
Apr 27, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
The support for Buckley now that he has been dumped leaves a sour taste. Where was the support when he was struggling to make a team that the administration had put into rebuild competitive?

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
I can’t believe this isn’t at the mcg infront of 80,000 with Buckley waving goodbye.
Imagine the roar at 3/4 time when he finishes his final address let alone after the game. Everything in terms of his departure has been handled well, largely because of his team first approach, but not allowing him a final game in Melbourne is poor.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
The support for Buckley now that he has been dumped leaves a sour taste. Where was the support when he was struggling to make a team that the administration had put into rebuild competitive?

This is a celebration of Buckley whole career at Collingwood. The player, the man and coaching together.

Discussion on coaching merits and his continued reign in the role has its own thread, people can separate the 2.
You can think the time for change was right and also celebrate everything he has done for the club especially his playing career, what a player he was.

Aug 29, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Man I miss players kicking long bombs! Players refuse to kick long range running goals these days, which makes no sense, when you consider the forward line is clogged with 20+ players all too often.

Do they refuse or is it coaching instruction in case they miss?

I remember a few players over the last 10 years from various teams, saying the player X had a licence to go for it outside 50m but others in the team were instructed to look for an option.

Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely love Bucks, but all good things must come to an end and no one can say he didn't get a go at it, it's not often coaches last 10 years.

Great player and a decent coach just not quite good enough, good luck to what ever is next bucks, I can see him becoming involved in a role at the club in the future, maybe head of footy.

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
I just want to say thanks to Nathan.

As long as I've followed the sport, which isn't really that long, he's been my 2nd favorite player. His book inspired my son in so many ways and helped set a standard for the way he plays the game now and how he goes about his life. Just a pity the game couldn't be played in Melbourne, but I'm sure the Sydney fan base will give him a great farewell and hopefully we can say all the best some time down the track.

Good luck to the whole team today. A win would be appropriate for such a champ.

hellfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 21, 2007
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
FC Barcelona
Imagine the roar at 3/4 time when he finishes his final address let alone after the game. Everything in terms of his departure has been handled well, largely because of his team first approach, but not allowing him a final game in Melbourne is poor.

I’m looking forward to the roar when he pulls on a jumper at 3/4 time and runs down to full forward to get us over the line.

I can dream, can’t I?

ANewDawn

All Australian
Jun 10, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was thinking something similar also as in most dedicated but there's an award after Gavin Brown, leading desires indicator. Seems like most bases are covered. Perhaps most brownlow votes in a season, not sure that has the same ring to it.

You'd think he'd turn it down, but it'd be a shame if he's not recognised with something. Maybe something at the holden centre, though it wouldn't be seen widely.
What are 'leading desires' and how are they indicated? Who won the award last time?

Trickster

Cancelled
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
New Orleans Saints
What are 'leading desires' and how are they indicated? Who won the award last time?
Good question. I'd suspect they'd be 1 percenters etc, the old wrecker award maybe from 1990... Either way, with Bucks finishing and Pendles to retire soonish, they need to find a couple more awards or something else to honour them.

More into motor sport apparently but he plays school footy at St Kevin’s

Major blunder then, by the recruiting staff. Should have insisted he be named Sherrin, or Punt, or Torp. But no!

If we were to honour a player every year for recognition of their professionalism and application to training, diet etc surely that would be named after Swannie. :)

Back