nathan burke should retire.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 10, 2000
melbourne (saints)
Originally posted by HTB Saints

I haven't included Burke, as he won't see any more action this year.

this begs the question as to whether any or all of the big 3 should retire at the end of the year. pecko also.

i now believe burke should be retired at the end of the year and offered an assisting coaching role. injury over the last 2 years has knobbled him and he won't be able to play on the ball to the same effect as he used to. if he does play he would only be useful as a small forward in a position where we could be developing a clarke, dal santo or ball.

harvey has been my favorite player for 10 years but there is no escaping the fact that he is a crock. he hasn't been able to string together a decent number of games since 1998. if he could get fit he would still be able to play great football, if.

loewey is getting on in years and his influence in the forward line has waned considerably. in his favour is his height and bulk which could be used up forward to assist with the development of reiwoldt and his ruck work is also quite good. i would prefer to keep stewie than capuano.

peckett is a front running footballer who has been servicable in the past but can easily be replaced with any number of running midfielders.

the club could make the hard and painfull decision to retire them all or 3 out of 4. sure it will deprive the team of valuable experience but it would also be a symbolic gesture that the ownership and responsibility of the team is now in the hands of a completely new group, a changing of the guard.

Loewe - can't see going on - probably should retire at end of 2002
Burke - big ask to come back again, I'd love to see him play on though, as he would still be part of the best 22.
Harvey - dumb question.
Peckett - depends on what his salary is, what do we gain by retiring him from salary cap relief. Otherwise a handy player to have around.

It would be in the players best interests to retire from St Kilda, after all Carlton will have some early draft choices and I'm sure they still see 5 years in Loewe and Burke. ;)

one of loewe or burke will have to retire to allow the club to put harvey onto the veterans list. we will need plenty of coin and salary cap room to sign reiwoldt and kossi to new contracts. i think loewe would offer the team more in the forward line and ruck than burkey would playing out of a forward pocket.

so for mine it is peckett and burke off to carlton for their first round draft pick. :D

It's not an easy topic to discuss.

Apparently we have reduced our total player payments down from 100% of the salary cap last year to around 97% this year. I realise that is more about reducing costs to help remain as financially competitive as we can than as a means to re-signing the likes of Riewoldt and Koschitzke but the flexibility to offer them more lucrative contracts is hopefully there.

Burke is still contracted for another season. He's been such a fantastic stalwart of this club that he deserves every possible chance to play next season. If he is fit he is definitely a part of our best side.

Stewie is a harder one. There's 12 games remaining this season and the ball is in his court to prove that he can cut it for another year. If he was to play another season, you'd think he would have to make way for Harvey on the veterans list and would need to be prepared to play for a lot less money. With the likes of Everitt, Hamill and Riewoldt as other tall options with Milne and Clarke getting the crumbs there's a real chance for Stewie to get the smaller and younger defenders and hopefully exploit them.

Frankie Peckett is a very good player when he's playing well. W Describing him as the "barometer" of the team is probably a fair description. If he can string together 12 consistent games to finish off the season then he should be kept. I suppose if it did come down to a salary cap issue and a few players needed to be sacrificed for the likes of re-signing Riewoldt or Koschitzke then he may be a little vulnerable but I'd hope that wouldn't be the case.

If we were to get rid of Robert Harvey then there would be 15 other clubs waiting with their chequebooks open. It's hard to take seeing such a great of the game struck down with soft tissue injuries. We've just got to have faith that he can get over them, I couldn't imagine anything worse than seeing Harves run around with another team.

I find if hard to seperate the emotion of the decision with the reality that this is a cut-throat business and requires the best thing possible for the club to be done.

At the same time there are quite a few other players that are battling to save their careers. Once you get rid of a past champion player, you have lost them forever.

Originally posted by sainter

Stewie is a harder one. There's 12 games remaining this season and the ball is in his court to prove that he can cut it for another year. If he was to play another season, you'd think he would have to make way for Harvey on the veterans list and would need to be prepared to play for a lot less money.

Which would mean Stewie has to be de-listed in order to do that.

If he's delisted we go through a situation that if we want him to play on then he's going to have to be re-drafted in the national draft.

Would the club bother in that situation? A hard one...

Realistically if the old blokes are capable they should have one last tilt at a finals campaign next year. Loewe as shown his importance with good performances v Freo, Rich & W.C and Burkes hardness should complement the skills of Clarke, Ball, Dal Santo etc. Harvey is still in the best 3-4 players in the team but has to get soft tissue injuries out of his game. Realistically 15 games each next year could be important.
Peckett needs more games like WC's to survive.

What I think, is that the club need to lose 4-5 players for next years draft,the ones in the mix to go are;
Plapp-gone
Begley-tough call to give him one more chance but seems to be in the Daniel Healy mode
Beetham-only just turned 20 but decision making/disposal is terrible
Capuano-good floating across the back line, but Loewe is better elsewhere, he is only 26 though
Wulf-needs improvement.
Peckett, Davis, both good in good teams
Burke and Loewe.

The question is do you go Beetham, Begley & draft pick for a Leppitsch/Richo,
is Carey an option instead of Loewe (3 yrs in Carey?)
Continue with the youngsters?

I can't see us in the market for a Leppitch / Richardon / Carey, as we will not have the salary cap room. Nick / Kosi will be looking for enormous increases at contract renewal time, and we have cast our lot with Gehrig & Hamill as big money recruits. You can't keep doing that.

You do need to keep turning players over though. Beetham loses value by the week as trade bait. Capuano is expendable, as we should be using Knobel as the back up

A very trickey subject

Burke will stay on next year...perhaps he shouldn't, but he will. If there is no solid reason to get rid of him (i.e. salary cap etc.) then keep him. We still need some wise old heads around!

Loewe will most likely go, although our lack of tall reserves is his best chance of staying

Harves will stay

Peckett will stay for one more season I suspect. An old hand in defence is still needed, although Burke, Leowe and Pecko may not get too many games if everybody is fit.

Plapp unlikely to survive

Remove this Banner Ad

Back