Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nathan Freeman
Sandringham Dragons
Height: 181cm
Weight: 85kg

"NATHAN Freeman has always been fast. As a junior he would be quicker than every other player on the ground, burst from packs, dash away and do it over and over again.

His dad David was a 100-metre hurdle schoolboy champion, and Nathan inherited the speed gene.

Freeman had only days earlier tested as the best all-round athlete at the under-16s carnival, in an AFL innovation which totals scores for running, jumping and other measures."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-15/freeman-a-dasher

"Freeman showed his burst ability in that test by claiming top honours, running 23.62 seconds for the six sprints.

It followed his second placing in the 20-metre sprint, where the Victorian midfielder ran 2.81 to finish behind Marsh.

Freeman pushed himself further into top-10 draft calculations with his test, confirming him as the midfielder with the most pace at the top end of this year's pool."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-03/freeman-marsh-blitz-combine-field-in-sprints

#13 – Nathan Freeman (VIC – Mid)Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 16/06/1995
Recruited from: Sandringham Dragons
Style: Luke Shuey
Player comparison:
Range: 5-20
Profile: Freeman is an absolute dynamite midfielder. He has that Patrick Dangerfield and Chris Judd type explosion inside the contest. He’s an above average contested ball winner. He’s a guy who has that rare combination of inside game and extreme explosiveness with his pace, agility and sidestep all as good as you’ll see. In addition to that explosiveness Freeman has a real hardness to him with the way he attacks the footy and contest. Also features of Freeman’s game are his ability to take grabs overhead and his 1v1 ability. He can push forward and hit the scoreboard in a big way particularly enjoying those finishes on the run streaming into goal or running to the 50 and going long for the goal. As well as this he’s also an excellent field kick to a target with the ability to hit his targets over a variety of distances knowing his limitations but also at the same time doing some big damage. In short this guy has all the tricks and other than Jack Martin is that only other midfielder I see as a genuine game changer. To improve Freeman needs to firstly find the footy more consistently, he can find 25 disposals one game and less than 10 the next. He can also continue to improve his hands in close and become more of an inside distributor by hand instead of just jamming into onto his boot in close, so he does need to be more aware of what is around him in traffic in those situations where he can’t just burst away. Additionally he also needs to add more of an outside game so that he can find more easy ball outside the contest to boost his disposal numbers.
13 - Nathan Freeman (181cm, 85kg midfielder - Sandringham)

Nathan Freeman developed quite the bandwagon a couple of months ago, with some calling him the best midfielder in the draft and it seems as though it has kicked off again now that the Draft Combine is complete. I've never really seen that. I think if you're picking Freeman, you're picking him based on what he could become - not what he is right now. He isn't the most consistent or dangerous midfielder in the TAC Cup, or even for Sandringham. He isn't a big goal kicker, often not having as much of an impact as he could forward of centre. And I personally don't think he is as good a kick as some make him out to be. But, he has flashed potential throughout the season. He has shown that he can kick goals, he has shown he can rack up the disposals with the best of them and he has shown excellent vision and decision making with his kicking. He just doesn't do it enough at this stage for me. What he does offer already though, is a strong body and excellent speed. And that is why he will go in the first round, somewhere in the 10-15 range in my opinion.
FREEMAN1620x370-2nd.jpg

Can't wait to see some footage.

That article makes him sound like an impressive young man.

Looks just like Shuey on field. Shuey went 18th in a fairly weak first round. So I'd expect Freeman to go 10-20

Melbourne have told him they will select him at 9 if available.

Did you call the 08 first round weak?

Yes. For me only 3 A+ Grade players. Naitanui, Hartlett and Sidebottom

Only 4 duds atm (Jack Watts,Lewis Johnston ,Ayce Cordy and Sam Blease) so if you judge a draft by the lack of misses then it isn't weak first round

I can understand your comment on the basis of that perspective

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only 4 duds atm (Jack Watts,Lewis Johnston ,Ayce Cordy and Sam Blease) so if you judge a draft by the lack of misses then it isn't weak first round

Extremely strong draft. NN, Harlett, Sidebottom all look to be potential A graders.

Rich, Hill, Ziebell, Hurley, Davis and Shoenmakers all look to have B to B+ grade potential.

The jury is still out on Yarran, Lynch and Vickery.

That is as strong as any draft, better than all bar 2001 during the last decade and the equal of 2005.

Comfortably one of the strongest first rounds of all time. Your call is certainly strange.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back