Toast Nathan Fyfe - The next captain of FFC

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry for the intrusion lads, especially when I've only been following this with him leaving via FA in mind.

But, does this mean the rumours about him being so widely disliked were unfounded? Was that Mundy's first season as captain also?

You would think they would have to be very, very confident of him staying now otherwise it wouldn't have been a great look for your mob.

Also, pumped for Walters... come a long way in the last couple of years.

As the Captain is voted on by all players (except first years) and they have to read out their votes, yeh you could say it was media beat up.

As the Captain is voted on by all players (except first years) and they have to read out their votes, yeh you could say it was media beat up.
With all due respect, it's not as strong an indication as it would be if it were a secret ballot.

Good luck to Fyfe - hopefully he can stay on the park. Getting sick of great players having long-term injuries. Walters is an inspired choice, and Lachie was always going to be included given he's the young midfield general and had a stellar 2016.

With all due respect, it's not as strong an indication as it would be if it were a secret ballot.

Good luck to Fyfe - hopefully he can stay on the park. Getting sick of great players having long-term injuries. Walters is an inspired choice, and Lachie was always going to be included given he's the young midfield general and had a stellar 2016.
So are you saying our players are a bunch of pussies that need to hide behind a secret ballot vote to show that they 'dislike' Fyfe? I might as well pack up and hand in my membership if that's the case. They're all grown men and should have the balls to say how they feel to another person's face. I reckon that would be a big part of the club's culture, to speak your mind and get everything out in the open among the group.

Why not? It seemed to be the previous year.

I never mentioned last year and tbh I was not aware that it was not a secret ballot last year.

So are you saying our players are a bunch of pussies that need to hide behind a secret ballot vote to show that they 'dislike' Fyfe? I might as well pack up and hand in my membership if that's the case. They're all grown men and should have the balls to say how they feel to another person's face. I reckon that would be a big part of the club's culture, to speak your mind and get everything out in the open among the group.
Calm your farm mate, gee.

My statement is more of a universal truth - this is the reason we vote at a secret ballot when electing political leaders. If your vote is not secret, you are in theory open to being swayed by the potential for opprobrium from others.

Do you go around telling everyone you meet how you voted at every election?

You are the one saying players would be pussies for being subject to the pressure of group think, not me - it is a universal psychosocial phenomenon. In my opinion, it'd make them human. And by the way, I am not saying this was the case at the vote today.

Fyfe is the best choice for Fremantle going forward, no doubt. No leader is perfect, and I believe he has room to grow into the role. He is the best player on the list, intelligent and very vocal; but this captaincy has the potential to improve his ability to temper his message to the listener ie. the other players. This will improve the degree to which the message is heeded, thereby improving the effectiveness of his leadership.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I never mentioned last year and tbh I was not aware that it was not a secret ballot last year.

Calm your farm mate, gee.

My statement is more of a universal truth - this is the reason we vote at a secret ballot when electing political leaders. If your vote is not secret, you are in theory open to being swayed by the potential for opprobrium from others.

Do you go around telling everyone you meet how you voted at every election?

I am not saying players would be pussies for being subject to the pressure of group think - it is a universal psychosocial phenomenon. You are the strange one saying that if they were that they'd be pussies. In my opinion, it'd make them human. And by the way, I am not saying this was the case at the vote today.

Fyfe is the best choice for Fremantle going forward, no doubt. No leader is perfect, and I believe he has room to grow into the role. He is the best player on the list, intelligent and very vocal; but this captaincy has the potential to improve his ability to temper his message to the listener ie. the other players. This will improve the degree to which the message is heeded, thereby improving the effectiveness of his leadership.
Very different situation here. A lot of high level sports management theory indicates that transparency is really effective in building trust and openess between players when leadership is being allocated. Freo does it this way and has for a while now.
It's not political which is pretty obvious. No secrets in our rooms. My farm is calm.

Very different situation here. A lot of high level sports management theory indicates that transparency is really effective in building trust and openess between players when leadership is being allocated. Freo does it this way and has for a while now.
It's not political which is pretty obvious. No secrets in our rooms. My farm is calm.
Fair call and good reply :thumbsu:

I just object to the notion of men being called pussies for acting human - it has old-school sexist overtones, similar to "real men don't cry". And that's coming from someone who's largely anti-PC in social spheres. I'm also pro-transparency in the operations of businesses.

I was resigned to him leaving but this is very, very interesting. It would be quite some move – and a bad look for him – if he ended up leaving after this. I understand he is heavily respected at the club but not really good mates with many of the boys anymore, so maybe they've been mature and simply voted in Fyfe as the best possible captain of a football club, not a popularity contest.

That, or they wanted him to stay and voted for him.

That, or the board chose this.

All my first reactions.

Interesting times ahead, but this should have happened a year ago really. Mundy probably doesn't care, probably got some nice financial bonus and lost no fans during that last year as captain, but it is odd.

I was resigned to him leaving but this is very, very interesting. It would be quite some move – and a bad look for him – if he ended up leaving after this. I understand he is heavily respected at the club but not really good mates with many of the boys anymore, so maybe they've been mature and simply voted in Fyfe as the best possible captain of a football club, not a popularity contest.

That, or they wanted him to stay and voted for him.

That, or the board chose this.

All my first reactions.

Interesting times ahead, but this should have happened a year ago really. Mundy probably doesn't care, probably got some nice financial bonus and lost no fans during that last year as captain, but it is odd.
Pav has spoken a bit about his relationship with the team mates being the same. Respect but having some distance. After the words Fyfe said today and previously it would be a major turn to leave. Would go against everything we have seen and heard from him and those close to him so far. Not impossible but highly improbable.

Can't help but feel the club this year made sure it ended up with him.

The open nature of voting is rubbish, you speak your mind and enemies are created.

I just hope the captain responsibilities doesn't distract Fyfe.

Pav has spoken a bit about his relationship with the team mates being the same. Respect but having some distance. After the words Fyfe said today and previously it would be a major turn to leave. Would go against everything we have seen and heard from him and those close to him so far. Not impossible but highly improbable.
I think that's because Pav was a fair bit older. I know for a fact he was well liked even though he was someone who once his genuine friends retired, ala Hase and Belly, he toned it down a bit (which is way more than fair). Fyfe's best friends were Sutty and they don't get on much anymore. It isn't like this is new to Fyfe either... he did this at 23.

This is coming from an ex-player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back