Nathan Fyfe v Elliot Yeo

Nathan Fyfe or Elliot Yeo

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Fyfe is a top 5 player and has been for 6 or 7 years.

Yeo is like a top 30-40 player who pops his head into the top 20 every now and again.

Fyfe will likely go down as a dual/triple Brownlow winner and probably one of the best WA players ever.
(Premierships won should never be used to say one player is better than another. Some legends have won none and some crabs have won one or two.)

Yeo is a good player (needs better consistency to be considered a great player) but the comparison is laughable.
Yep.

Fyfe will likely go down as a dual/triple Brownlow winner and probably one of the best WA players ever.

Premierships won should never be used to say one player is better than another. Some legends have won none and some crabs have won one or two.
Could say the same thing about Brownlows, really

63f6e.MatthewsLeigh1.jpg
ss0bRhk29O9b2ApjMzrjdm8XGyNdIizLYt19AU1I.png

I only see Fyfe play 'live' in derbies
very underwhelming
Yeo absolutely owns and dominates him when they go head to head

I only see Fyfe play 'live' in derbies
very underwhelming
Yeo absolutely owns and dominates him when they go head to head
In the last two years when Yeo has moved in to the midfield, Fyfe and Yeo have both played together in just 2 Western Derbies (they have played in 7 Western Derbies together in total).
The Contested Possession count for those 2 games is 26 to Fyfe and 18 to Yeo. So how exactly has Yeo owned and dominated Fyfe in their head to heads?
If you want to include 2017, when Yeo was still playing off Half Back but he did check Fyfe at stoppages when close by, then that was Yeo's best game when both have played ... but even in that game, they both had 8 Contested Possessions. Most of Yeo's possessions were in his typical half back role with 4 of those 8 CP's coming from Contested Marks or Free Kicks (Fyfe had 1 of his 8 from those stats, and if you include that 2017 game, Fyfe has had more CPs, i50s & Clearances in total than Yeo for those 3 games).

Having said all that, there is no doubt that Fyfe has not played his best football against West Coast in recent seasons, but if you are going to only use those games as your sample data, then that is simply cherry picking data ... especially when Fyfe was clearly the better player in the first 4 Western Derbies in which both players played together (2014-2016).

In the last two years when Yeo has moved in to the midfield, Fyfe and Yeo have both played together in just 2 Western Derbies (they have played in 7 Western Derbies together in total).
The Contested Possession count for those 2 games is 26 to Fyfe and 18 to Yeo. So how exactly has Yeo owned and dominated Fyfe in their head to heads?
If you want to include 2017, when Yeo was still playing off Half Back but he did check Fyfe at stoppages when close by, then that was Yeo's best game when both have played ... but even in that game, they both had 8 Contested Possessions. Most of Yeo's possessions were in his typical half back role with 4 of those 8 CP's coming from Contested Marks or Free Kicks (Fyfe had 1 of his 8 from those stats, and if you include that 2017 game, Fyfe has had more CPs, i50s & Clearances in total than Yeo for those 3 games).

Having said all that, there is no doubt that Fyfe has not played his best football against West Coast in recent seasons, but if you are going to only use those games as your sample data, then that is simply cherry picking data ... especially when Fyfe was clearly the better player in the first 4 Western Derbies in which both players played together (2014-2016).

Its not cherry picking at all. Its a poll comparing Fyfe to Yeo.. Playing on each other is perfectly valid and more accurate for comparison
You and other freo noobs have clearly stated that Fyfe is far far better, 'ridiculous' comparison, 'Fyfe by a country mile' and other fantasy gems..funny when they play on each other though a more 'factual' comparison results

Its not cherry picking at all. Its a poll comparing Fyfe to Yeo.. Playing on each other is perfectly valid and more accurate for comparison
You and other freo noobs have clearly stated that Fyfe is far far better, 'ridiculous' comparison, 'Fyfe by a country mile' and other fantasy gems..funny when they play on each other though a more 'factual' comparison results
The only facts given here are those that show when you think Yeo is owning and dominating Fyfe, Fyfe is actually winning most of their contests.

Have fun trying to ignore other facts like; Fyfe won the 2019 Brownlow, was selected AA captain, won his clubs player and DOIG medals, was equal 1st in Champion Data's AFL Player ratings for 2019, finished in front of Yeo in every AFL awards and player ratings that I have seen for 2019, clearly won more contested possessions than Yeo in their only game against each other (14 to 9) ... while Yeo couldn't even win his own clubs award.

EDIT: And BTW, please show just one comment by me where I "clearly stated that Fyfe is far far better, 'ridiculous' comparison, 'Fyfe by a country mile' and other fantasy gems". This is the big problem in this thread, far too many comments by the Yeo supporters that are not backed up by facts.

Last edited:
The only facts given here are those that show when you think Yeo is owning and dominating Fyfe, Fyfe is actually winning most of their contests.

Have fun trying to ignore other facts like; Fyfe won the 2019 Brownlow, was selected AA captain, won his clubs player and DOIG medals, was equal 1st in Champion Data's AFL Player ratings for 2019, finished in front of Yeo in every AFL awards and player ratings that I have seen for 2019, clearly won more contested possessions than Yeo in their only game against each other (14 to 9) ... while Yeo couldn't even win his own clubs award.

EDIT: And BTW, please show just one comment by me where I "clearly stated that Fyfe is far far better, 'ridiculous' comparison, 'Fyfe by a country mile' and other fantasy gems". This is the big problem in this thread, far too many comments by the Yeo supporters that are not backed up by facts.

as I stated Fyfe is very underwhelming in derbies because Yeo owns him. Funny how he can't win a RG medal if he is clearly better. Both are AA players yet one is 'apparently' vastly superior to the other. Its just one of those lies freo supporters have to 'cling' to..bit like little lachie leaving for money. Well known he left because of big head Fyfe and how everything at freo revolves around him. Ironic he wins the brownlow after he drove the only competition he had out of the club..Easier for Fyfe to stand out more in a field of potatoes. But still cant dominate a derby..Nothing to do with Yeo though

as I stated Fyfe is very underwhelming in derbies because Yeo owns him. Funny how he can't win a RG medal if he is clearly better. Both are AA players yet one is 'apparently' vastly superior to the other. Its just one of those lies freo supporters have to 'cling' to..bit like little lachie leaving for money. Well known he left because of big head Fyfe and how everything at freo revolves around him. Ironic he wins the brownlow after he drove the only competition he had out of the club..Easier for Fyfe to stand out more in a field of potatoes. But still cant dominate a derby..Nothing to do with Yeo though
Thanks for the laughs. Almost as good as listening to Brad Hardie on 6pr.

You do understand that Brownlow votes are awarded for the best players in a game ... like when Fyfe got 3 votes in Round 10 against Brisbane Lions (& Neale got 0). Nevermind the fact that Fyfe has been averaging over 1 Brownlow vote per H&A game while Neale has played in his side.
When, or I should say if, Yeo wins more contested football than Fyfe does when they go head to head, you'll have a case. Claiming Yeo owns and dominates Fyfe because Fyfe hasn't won best on grounds in their last few derbies is equivalent to Freo supporters saying Crowley was a better player than Ablett because Crowley impacted Ablett's performance when they both played. It's a deluded fantasy.

& BTW, what is an RG medal? Shouldn't that be a GA medal?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the laughs. Almost as good as listening to Brad Hardie on 6pr.

You do understand that Brownlow votes are awarded for the best players in a game ... like when Fyfe got 3 votes in Round 10 against Brisbane Lions (& Neale got 0). Nevermind the fact that Fyfe has been averaging over 1 Brownlow vote per H&A game while Neale has played in his side.
When, or I should say if, Yeo wins more contested football than Fyfe does when they go head to head, you'll have a case. Claiming Yeo owns and dominates Fyfe because Fyfe hasn't won best on grounds in their last few derbies is equivalent to Freo supporters saying Crowley was a better player than Ablett because Crowley impacted Ablett's performance when they both played. It's a deluded fantasy.

& BTW, what is an RG medal? Shouldn't that be a GA medal?

So we both agree Fyfe can’t perform in derbies
PEDs Crowley was a tagger.. yeo beats him one on one
And I will call the medal what it was christened.. not what it is named after Your salty club with an inferiority complex had a huge sook

I'm very late to the party but both are good players that I would love in my team, however only 1 is great - Fyfe. As for the Derby argument, wce fans should ask themselves this - does Fyfe go to Yeo or the other way around (the answer is clearly the later). Only the best get tagged.

I'm very late to the party but both are good players that I would love in my team, however only 1 is great - Fyfe. As for the Derby argument, wce fans should ask themselves this - does Fyfe go to Yeo or the other way around (the answer is clearly the later). Only the best get tagged.

lol tagged
is that code for 'gets owned by yeo'

All this talk about Yeo performing better in derbies then Fyfe, but what about the real big games? Yeo has played some abysmal finals over the years.

Yeo has become a really good player, but he’s no Fyfe.

All this talk about Yeo performing better in derbies then Fyfe, but what about the real big games? Yeo has played some abysmal finals over the years.

Yeo has become a really good player, but he’s no Fyfe.

abysmal lol
yes when they play against each other is irrelevant
a far better comparison is your strawman argument

thats fine is you believe fyfe is better..he certaintly is a good player and has credentials..I was initially responding to freo fans who believe there is no comparison..far superior..shits on yeo
you think he might actually be able to beat him at least once in a derby besides being an absolute non event

abysmal lol

How would you describe his 5 possession grand final? Or the 2016 elimination final when he had 13 touches and missed 2 set shots from within 20 metres? Abysmal seems a fair description to me.

Possibly, but West Coast might not have won as many games.

If Yeo played for the bulldogs or the dockers, they would easily be in the top 8. Carlton might be a leap too far, but they'd be an obviously better team.
Is that right thats funny considering that nathan fyfe doesn't like playing on him because fyfe and all the big players they dont do much at all i am a huge nathan fyfe fan but if he was in the eagles he would find it incredibly difficult to get a brownlow beacause of the great players we have fyfe wouldn't get mentioned every night in the news because we have more than 1 or 2 good players i strugle to think of 5 good players and to win a grandfinal u need a team not just a few my point is i would love to have fyfe but i dont let jealousy cloud my judgment i feel for nathan because he deserves a premiership and can't see that happening at fremantle

abysmal lol
yes when they play against each other is irrelevant
a far better comparison is your strawman argument

thats fine is you believe fyfe is better..he certaintly is a good player and has credentials..I was initially responding to freo fans who believe there is no comparison..far superior..shits on yeo
you think he might actually be able to beat him at least once in a derby besides being an absolute non event

Neutral fan here.

I like Yeo. He’s a wonderful player.

But Fyfe shits all over him.

Is that right thats funny considering that nathan fyfe doesn't like playing on him because fyfe and all the big players they dont do much at all i am a huge nathan fyfe fan but if he was in the eagles he would find it incredibly difficult to get a brownlow beacause of the great players we have fyfe wouldn't get mentioned every night in the news because we have more than 1 or 2 good players i strugle to think of 5 good players and to win a grandfinal u need a team not just a few my point is i would love to have fyfe but i dont let jealousy cloud my judgment i feel for nathan because he deserves a premiership and can't see that happening at fremantle
Lachie Neale got more Brownlow Votes in 2015-2018 than Yeo has got in his entire career.
Lachie then goes to Brisbane and comes equal third in the Brownlow and Fyfe wins.
So no, your deluded logic does not stand up to reality.

Last edited:
Back