Remove this Banner Ad

Stats
Fyfe 174 BL votes in 173 games...
Martin 176 BL votes in 224 games..

Leigh matthews trophy
Fyfe 2 v Martin 1

Fyfes never won a coaches award
Martin has the 1.

Martin a few norm smiths, Gary Ayres etc.

Basically in regular season per game Fyfe is more consistent.
Martin can turn it on every now and then and has more down games.
Finals Martins better, Fyfe hasn't had many opportunities but best case hes even with Martin in that domain.

Only way its really decided is Martin gets more consistent in regular season or Fyfe gets a crack at a few more finals.

For mine its hard to split, would be happy with either.

nah I think we will keep our boy, and you can keep yours

Stats
Fyfe 174 BL votes in 173 games...
Martin 176 BL votes in 224 games..

Leigh matthews trophy
Fyfe 2 v Martin 1

Fyfes never won a coaches award
Martin has the 1.

Martin a few norm smiths, Gary Ayres etc.

Basically in regular season per game Fyfe is more consistent.
Martin can turn it on every now and then and has more down games.
Finals Martins better, Fyfe hasn't had many opportunities but best case hes even with Martin in that domain.

Only way its really decided is Martin gets more consistent in regular season or Fyfe gets a crack at a few more finals.

For mine its hard to split, would be happy with either.
Brownlow votes are a not really a great guage as it is a midfielders award and Fyfe is pretty much a full time mid. Martin plays a fair % up forward, when was the last time a forward won the Brownlow. Also it is voted on by umpires who are in a great position to judge, but don't always do a great job of it.
Saying that in no ways diminishes Fyfe because he is one of the games best and as you say, happy with either.

At the end of the day everyone’s goal is premierships. I’ve seen Dustin Martin will his team to a few of them, having some monster finals - 6 goals, 2 norms, 2 best finals series player.
Dusty holds the title of perfect season in 2017 - flawless, never seen before. Now he primes himself for big games as that has been done.

Fyfe is an unreal player, very consistent with amazing aerial ability. For me, he lacks elite kicking which is an essential skill of a champion, and I’m yet to see that killer instinct and will in finals. I saw him fluff two perfect chances in a grand final at a critical time, showing the pressure gets to him.

If we are playing a grand final tomorrow (which is what we play for), and I need a superstar in my corner to ensure I win, I know which one I’m picking. Simple really, not sure how you can argue with that.

At the end of the day everyone’s goal is premierships. I’ve seen Dustin Martin will his team to a few of them, having some monster finals - 6 goals, 2 norms, 2 best finals series player.
Dusty holds the title of perfect season in 2017 - flawless, never seen before. Now he primes himself for big games as that has been done.

Fyfe is an unreal player, very consistent with amazing aerial ability. For me, he lacks elite kicking which is an essential skill of a champion, and I’m yet to see that killer instinct and will in finals. I saw him fluff two perfect chances in a grand final at a critical time, showing the pressure gets to him.

If we are playing a grand final tomorrow (which is what we play for), and I need a superstar in my corner to ensure I win, I know which one I’m picking. Simple really, not sure how you can argue with that.
Because you need to get to a Grand Final to win one and I think Fyfe consistently plays at the higher level.

I enjoy watching both players strut their stuff. However, I have Fyfe ahead of Martin due to the fact I think he has more versatility as a footballer. You could play him at any position up the spine and he'd do very well. Love watching him take a big contested mark and then follow up with a hard ball get or be the link player on the outside. Martin is very good and would hate to play against him one out but Fyfe for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Fyfe indeed went to Punt Road, imagine the goal kicking coaching he would get from Lynch, JR and Martin. It would take his game to another level, and he would start potting those shots in the big games, rather than duffing them.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's funny how everyone remembers that GF and conveniently seems to forget his dominant performances in the two finals preceding that.

You say Fyfe lacks the killer instinct ( in finals ), read what BJK#5 has written from a Hawks supporter perspective.

Over the weekend, I might do a research on these 2 players finals records. As I've said before, people have a good memory of what occurred this season, but past seasons and deeds fade from their memory. I'm no different, need a re-watch to remind me what occurred in past seasons.

No wonder they tape Fyfe's shoulders.

You say Fyfe lacks the killer instinct ( in finals ), read what BJK#5 has written from a Hawks supporter perspective.

Over the weekend, I might do a research on these 2 players finals records. As I've said before, people have a good memory of what occurred this season, but past seasons and deeds fade from their memory. I'm no different, need a re-watch to remind me what occurred in past seasons.

No wonder they tape Fyfe's shoulders.

Just my opinion. I am not potting Fyfe, these are the best 2 players in the game and we are splitting hairs.
We know they can both play football at an absurdly high level, but on the biggest stage of them all Fyfe has been found wanting, while Dustin has been BOG 2 out of 2.
That puts him ahead for me and I don’t know how you can argue otherwise, but hey that’s just my opinion.

There’s a reason Dusty is being talked about as the greatest ever finals player, of his last 8 - he has been best on ground in 7. The 8th, he was injured.

Just my opinion. I am not potting Fyfe, these are the best 2 players in the game and we are splitting hairs.
We know they can both play football at an absurdly high level, but on the biggest stage of them all Fyfe has been found wanting, while Dustin has been BOG 2 out of 2.
That puts him ahead for me and I don’t know how you can argue otherwise, but hey that’s just my opinion.

There’s a reason Dusty is being talked about as the greatest ever finals player, of his last 8 - he has been best on ground in 7. The 8th, he was injured.
How about you try and base it on more than just 2 games vs 1. It helps that in his two grand final appearances Martin was 26 and 28 years old, whereas in Fyfe's only GF he was 22. If you want proof of Fyfe standing up in big games, have a look at the preliminary finals he's played: best midfielder on the day and two crucial goals kicked against Sydney in 2013, and running around marking everything on a broken leg against Hawthorn in 2015.

It's funny how everyone remembers that GF and conveniently seems to forget his dominant performances in the two finals preceding that.
Fyfe was one of the best on ground in the 2013 GF. His set shot kicking has never been great.

I think it's telling that Richmond supporters feel the need to try talk down Fyfe in order to build up Dusty.

Deep down they know.
I don’t think there’s any need to build up Dusty. He won two Norm Smiths and Gary Ayres medals in our flag years. He extinguished the anguish of long suffering supporters. Fyfe had his chance to do it in 2013 and blew his opportunity. A champion player who never saw ultimate success. Robert Harvey would be a good comparison.

I don’t think there’s any need to build up Dusty. He won two Norm Smiths and Gary Ayres medals in our flag years. He extinguished the anguish of long suffering supporters. Fyfe had his chance to do it in 2013 and blew his opportunity. A champion player who never saw ultimate success. Robert Harvey would be a good comparison.
He didn't blow s**t in 2013, Freo were just not good enough as a team. Fyfe still has years left of good footy in him and it may be an unpopular opinion but i like the direction of the Dockers. Still has a chance to get that flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back