Nathan Fyfe vs Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

i think that martin is one of the few young players i would give a half a second's though to trading fyfe for. wouldn't do it, but would think about it! both clubs should be happy, and i think that its pretty impossible to compare them to each other, considering their very different skill sets and strengths etc. love watching martin play though!

i think that martin is one of the few young players i would give a half a second's though to trading fyfe for. wouldn't do it, but would think about it! both clubs should be happy, and i think that its pretty impossible to compare them to each other, considering their very different skill sets and strengths etc. love watching martin play though!
Maybe in the future coaches will put them head to head, wind back the clock to the GF when Bucks went with Voss mouth watering stuff.

Paul Roos often done it as well Goodes V Judd.

Cotchin and Swallow went head to head a fair bit up in Cairns recently and i noticed Cothcin was on fire early then when Swallow got on top of Cotch, The Suns got home mainly due to this.

objectively, i really like the metres gained stat that the sunday times does in its match reviews...i think it is a better measure than just the disposal effiency. martin seems to (and will do in the future) have that knack of bursting from packs and kicking a long accurate pass.

personally i think inside players are more important to team structure and to getting a team up and going.

however, subjectively fyfe is my favourite player in the game at the moment. kids in schools all over WA will be trying to take dangles in the schoolyard and yelling "fyyyfffe" as they do it.

you know you have a special player when this is happening

Imagine how good melbourne could have been with both these players.

There's no way I'd trade Trengove for Martin. Martin is more explosive and will have games where he impacts them greatly, but imo Trengove will be the better and more consistent midfielder.

I'd take Fyfe over the mercenary. I'd also take him over Martin. :thumbsu:

Hard pick, probably Fyfe although we have to remember Martin is playing in a weaker midfield

They are both outstanding talents and should develop into great players, I can't think of any club that wouldn't thrilled to have either of them on board.
I notice there is a trend by some of the media to compare Fyfe to Hird, I don't think that the way he plays is in anyway similar to Hird.
Be interested to read the comments of others re this comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How good is Fremantle's recruiting department? If Richmond threw their $3 million raised from the FTF and poached Freo's whole recruiting department I'd be as happy as I am watching Dusty run around in tiger colours.

just shows that a club can turn around their recruting woes. they were a laughing stock along with richmond for their recruting through the 90s and most of the 00s

turned it around in a big way since the dark days with barlow, fyfe, mzungu, hill.

just shows that a club can turn around their recruting woes. they were a laughing stock along with richmond for their recruting through the 90s and most of the 00s

turned it around in a big way since the dark days with barlow, fyfe, mzungu, hill.

you can add broughton and lower as mature age recruits.
we've set a pretty good example over the last three years that recruiting hard, known performers from state leagues can pay off. it boggles the mind that the standard used to be that unless you're drafted as a kid, your footy career is essentially gone, especially as a lot of those kids don't end up realising their potential. The advent of GWS and GC has been a boon for those late developers or overlooked who can slot right into an AFL side and contribute. hopefully this remains the standard now and club recruiting departments throw their nets wider.

I can see Fyfe having more upside than Martin.

Martin will be a very very good player but to me Fyfe is a match winning type... an Adam Goodes spec. competitor. He can do absolutely everything.

This year Fyfe has definitely been better than Martin. He has been more consistent in my opinion and has an overall bigger influence on games.

However, I think both of these guys are going to be challenged as the "next big thing" by a few others that are slowly become more consistent and game influencing:
- Dyson Heppell
- Luke Shuey
- Nic Nat

I think these 5 players all have what it takes to be come the next "premier" players of the league.

you can add broughton and lower as mature age recruits.
we've set a pretty good example over the last three years that recruiting hard, known performers from state leagues can pay off. it boggles the mind that the standard used to be that unless you're drafted as a kid, your footy career is essentially gone, especially as a lot of those kids don't end up realising their potential. The advent of GWS and GC has been a boon for those late developers or overlooked who can slot right into an AFL side and contribute. hopefully this remains the standard now and club recruiting departments throw their nets wider.

yes the freo recruiters have been great at giving the older player in the state leagues their big chance, you can almost credit freo with really getting the mature age recruit idea up and running.

things are looking very good for freo, well run club from the bottom to the top now. a very bright future ahead and will not be the little brothers in perth for much longer now

This. :thumbsu: I wouldn't trade Martin for Fyfe, but I doubt Freo supporters would want to trade Fyfe for Martin as well. Both two great young players, who will have bright futures in the game.

But let's just say Martin is better:p (even though I have Fyfe and not him in my SC team).

The two best kids in the league. What's interesting is that we took the same type of player as Martin with our #4 pick in Morabito.Richmond probably got the better of that as Mora did his ACL and has had a year off and the fact that Martin is a beauty.
They took Griffiths at #19 and let Fyfe slip to us at #20...I think we got the better second round pick !

However, I think both of these guys are going to be challenged as the "next big thing" by a few others that are slowly become more consistent and game influencing:
- Dyson Heppell
- Luke Shuey
- Nic Nat

I think these 5 players all have what it takes to be come the next "premier" players of the league.
Heppell is a great young kid, but he doesnt scream "game breaker" like the others.

The two best kids in the league. What's interesting is that we took the same type of player as Martin with our #4 pick in Morabito.Richmond probably got the better of that as Mora did his ACL and has had a year off and the fact that Martin is a beauty.
They took Griffiths at #19 and let Fyfe slip to us at #20...I think we got the better second round pick !

Only if you are prepared to write off a 19 year old KPP who has had 2 shoulder recos, I for one am very excited about the prospect of having Griffiths in the Forward line along side Riewoldt/Vickery.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back