Nathan Fyfe vs Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Martnis good but if you had to choose between the 2 to make your team a better all round side you'd have to take Fyfe.
Well it depends. Martin can go forward and kick multiple goals and break a game open, would kick a lot more if he played there more. Fyfe is a more dominant mid. Martin has a boot as good as anyone in the game, Fyfe marks the ball which is rare for a mid. So hard to split.

Don't think one makes the side better than the other, but dominant mids are talked about a bit more because they are in the middle and hence in the game all the time. That is why they win Brownlow's when they are often not the best players in the league, no reference to Fyfe there. Also Freo rely very heavily on Fyfe.

Apr 25, 2011
Launceston
AFL Club
Richmond
You should probably follow that up with something that IS a good way to judge someone's kicking then, rather than just throw stones.

Fact of the matter is, Fyfe's kicking ability has been greatly played down due to the first quarter of the 2013 GF.

Use your eyes and watch them play. Also look at what is used to calculate disposal efficiency and clanger stats.

Sully90

Premiership Player
Dec 24, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal
He is a good enough kick, Martin is a powerful kick, who occasionally hits a clanger. If Martin gets the ball anywhere near the 50m line from any angle he's a good chance of kicking it.
Agree completely on Martin. But you're underselling Fyfe. I've seen him slot it from the boundary on both sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Would be an odd criticism, having a go at a guy for playing a pretty good game 7 years ago when he was 21 years old.
Bigfooty 101.

"Everything is valid at all times. Anything to get 1 up on anyone."

May 11, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Ipswich Town FC, Leeds Rhinos
The gap between Martin's kicking and most of the comp is pretty big. That's not a knock on Fyfe.

Although we've now effectively had a page of comment about Dusty's biggest weapon (his kicking) as a means to knock Fyfe - who I would rate as a better than average kick, but it is probably his least capable attribute. Maybe we now do a page on how they compare against each other in marking or ground ball gets??

Or alternatively we just accept that with the ageing of GAblett we are trying to debate who is the better of the two players who in time will be regarded as genuine greats of the game. Many good to decent players have scored one Brownlow or one Norm Smith - but 2 x Brownlows or 2 x Norm Smiths puts the recipient in the highest echelons of the game - not just amongst the best players of a decade, but the best players of all time.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Moving forward we will see Martin more and more as a forward with stints in the middle imo. In fact it wont be long before hes considered a half forward or roaming forward more than a midfielder, if he isnt already.

I expect we will see a lot less 35 and 1 goal games from Dusty in the next 3-5 years and a lot more 20 and 3 goal games from him. Fyfe I think is still going to be in the guts 90% of the time as hes much more of a pure mid than Dusty.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Although we've now effectively had a page of comment about Dusty's biggest weapon (his kicking) as a means to knock Fyfe - who I would rate as a better than average kick, but it is probably his least capable attribute. Maybe we now do a page on how they compare against each other in marking or ground ball gets??

Or alternatively we just accept that with the ageing of GAblett we are trying to debate who is the better of the two players who in time will be regarded as genuine greats of the game. Many good to decent players have scored one Brownlow or one Norm Smith - but 2 x Brownlows or 2 x Norm Smiths puts the recipient in the highest echelons of the game - not just amongst the best players of a decade, but the best players of all time.
Some have knocked Fyfe's kicking, not me. A fair bit already about marking and ground ball gets, mostly leaning towards Fyfe. Hence some are in the Fyfe camp, some in the Martin. But right now I agree, they are the best 2 in the comp, and if they keep going for a few more years at that level, they will be talked of as some of the best players of the modern era.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
I'll just say this - I think Fyfe and Martin are the top 2 in the game (I choose - aaah, I'll think about it some more:cool:).

However, I think that Dangerfield's skillset sometimes lets him dominate an individual game to the highest level of all of them.

In other words - Fyfe is the most consistent, Martin more the brilliant match-winner, Danger capable of complete games that make you go 'wow'. Ok - maybe he does those games against GC, and never in finals etc - but when he's on, he's really on.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
I'll just say this - I think Fyfe and Martin are the top 2 in the game (I choose - aaah, I'll think about it some more:cool:).

However, I think that Dangerfield's skillset sometimes lets him dominate an individual game to the highest level of all of them.

In other words - Fyfe is the most consistent, Martin more the brilliant match-winner, Danger capable of complete games that make you go 'wow'. Ok - maybe he does those games against GC, and never in finals etc - but when he's on, he's really on.
Seems a little less damaging than he used to be. Lost a yard probably, because that explosiveness whilst no means gone is not quite what is was. One would think that it will continue to wane (pace), a bit like it did with Judd, who are probably the most explosive players ever. He like Martin goes forward more and is very dangerous. Right now they sit together, a year older maybe not, time will tell.

Andyy

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Fyfe is a better midfielder and defender.

Dusty is a better forward and therefore more damaging IMO.

Hard to split but I think Dusty's big stage efforts take the cake.

PHanevski

Debutant
Jul 5, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Fyfe is a better midfielder and defender.

Dusty is a better forward and therefore more damaging IMO.

Hard to split but I think Dusty's big stage efforts take the cake.

Mind you that is only because of the way each team uses them. Fyfe is more relied in Freo's midfield so doesn't play as much up forward. When Dusty plays mid he doesn't run into defence. A lot of the time who ever plays on Dusty follows the ball and leaves Dusty standing on his own forward of centre. That wasn't the case around 2015, 2016 when he played more as a normal mid and did get alot of the ball in the back line.

Who is best, depends on which teams supporters you ask. When you see one more than the other and have an emotional investment you will tend to favour your teams player.

All I know is I am happy with Dusty, but would love to have Fyfe running around in Richmond colours as well.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
leaves Dusty standing on his own forward of centre.

That's because Martin has not a single defensive side to the modern game to speak of. He often let's his opponents do as they like.
On the flip side, Richmond's defense is arguably the best in the game so they often win one-on-one's and pump back to a wide open Martin who then goes to work.

Back