Nathan Fyfe vs Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Martin is better.

He has turned finals, won premierships, was a catalyst of a 37 year premiership drought ending in a season he won the Norm Smith, Best and Fairest and Brownlow medal.

The fact this is a debate is more a stain of how unintelligent folks on the internet are.

Fyfe is a phenomenal football player who has shown he is absolutely elite. Without a norm Smith, premiership and no runs on the board as a player who wins the biggest of games.

Do I start a thread who was better? Buddy Franklin or Matthew Richardson? Richo got closer to a Brownlow but Buddy has WON premierships, and even Buddy didnt have the influence of Martin.

The books will have a chapter of Martin, whilst Fyfe will be heavily featured in the 'Brownlow' section alongside Robert Harvey. A fine player.

Debate reopens if he turns a final and wins a premiership.

Maybe we could judge it based on how they go against each other?

2019 Richmond def Fremantle by 25 points:
N Fyfe 3 votes
D Martin 0 votes

2018 Richmond def Fremantle by 77 points:
N Fyfe 3 votes
D Martin 0 votes

2017 Richmond def Fremantle by 104 points:
N Fyfe 0 votes
D Martin 3 votes

other 2017 game no votes each.

Fyfe doing OK in a losing (belted) team.

Martin is better.

He has turned finals, won premierships, was a catalyst of a 37 year premiership drought ending in a season he won the Norm Smith, Best and Fairest and Brownlow medal.

The fact this is a debate is more a stain of how unintelligent folks on the internet are.

Fyfe is a phenomenal football player who has shown he is absolutely elite. Without a norm Smith, premiership and no runs on the board as a player who wins the biggest of games.

Do I start a thread who was better? Buddy Franklin or Matthew Richardson? Richo got closer to a Brownlow but Buddy has WON premierships, and even Buddy didnt have the influence of Martin.

The books will have a chapter of Martin, whilst Fyfe will be heavily featured in the 'Brownlow' section alongside Robert Harvey. A fine player.

That argument completely falls apart when you notice that Fyfe has played many elite finals himself.

That's because Martin has not a single defensive side to the modern game to speak of. He often let's his opponents do as they like.
On the flip side, Richmond's defense is arguably the best in the game so they often win one-on-one's and pump back to a wide open Martin who then goes to work.
That's very likely coach driven though. They know that Martin is most damaging forward of center, so I'm sure they instruct him to not run hard defensively. I have no doubt that he could do it if he was told to (like he did except for the last ~2-3 yrs). Our midfield plays as a unit with guys like Lambert, Graham, Cotchin playing more defensively, and Martin playing more aggressively. Simples.

Martin is better.

This argument only holds up if you think Fyfe and Martin have had equal opportunity for team success through playing for equally good teams... Aaaaaannnnd i am sure most Richmond fans are not going to say that the 17 & 19 Tigers teams are no better than any of the Freo teams Fyfe has played alongside.

Fyfe, without thinking twice.
No club in its right mind would take Martin before Fyfe if given the choice.....

Maybe we could judge it based on how they go against each other?

2019 Richmond def Fremantle by 25 points:
N Fyfe 3 votes
D Martin 0 votes

2018 Richmond def Fremantle by 77 points:
N Fyfe 3 votes
D Martin 0 votes

2017 Richmond def Fremantle by 104 points:
N Fyfe 0 votes
D Martin 3 votes

other 2017 game no votes each.

Fyfe doing OK in a losing (belted) team.
If careers were only 3 home and away games long you might have a valid point. I dont think theres much between them but this would be a narrow minded way to settle it.

Fyfe, without thinking twice.
No club in its right mind would take Martin before Fyfe if given the choice.....

hahahahaha what a stupid statement

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is no doubt that Fyfe is unstoppable as a midfielder because he is so big and strong, a bit like Cripps. But he doesn't really hurt you that badly. Sides know Fyfe will get the ball and pressure him once he gets it so that he is often under pressure when he gets it. His contested and clearance numbers again like Cripps are dominant, umpires especially notice that, equals Brownlow votes.

Martin is not that in and under type. He is much better when he has a bit of space as his explosiveness and tight turning circle makes him really hard to pin down, (hence the comparison to Leigh Matthews). If he is tackled his don't argue gives him space, or gang tackled he always dishes off to a player to advantage. Hence people say on here say he brings others into the game more. He also has possibly the best boot in the game.

Dangerfield has been so good because he is a combination of both, inside power and explosiveness. But his kicking is nowhere near Martin in particular, so he loses on that score.

I don't think you can separate Fyfe and Martin as to who is better, because they have different strengths. Martin is more unique and busts games, Fyfe mops up everything. If Fyfe played for Richmond.... or Martin for Freo....

The hate for Richmond is so evident.

Cant wait to collect a couple more premierships and have your kids reminisce fondly of their tigerhood.
Nah couldn’t care less about Richmond, Fyfe still better though.

All decent coaches will tell you that your best players should be in the F50.

Fyfe is a gun mid, Martin just doesn't have the tank to go with him in that regard.

But if you want a player to put your opposition to the sword I really think Martin is the man.

Brownlow votes wise I think Fyfe is getting more Charlies because his team isn't up to it and he stands out like a sore thumb with nobody to takes votes off him. Martin is shining in a premiership team.

Both players have been elite in poor teams also. Fyfe since the end of Freo's mildly successful 2012-2015 era. Dusty has been excellent more or less from debut and Richmond has only been successful the last 3 years.

Fyfe is a gun mid, Martin just doesn't have the tank to go with him in that regard.

But if you want a player to put your opposition to the sword I really think Martin is the man.

Brownlow votes wise I think Fyfe is getting more Charlies because his team isn't up to it and he stands out like a sore thumb with nobody to takes votes off him. Martin is shining in a premiership team.

Both players have been elite in poor teams also. Fyfe since the end of Freo's mildly successful 2012-2015 era. Dusty has been excellent more or less from debut and Richmond has only been successful the last 3 years.
Fyfe won the Brownlow in 2015 when Freo finished 1st. He polls better in the Brownlow because he is a much more consistent player over the course of an entire season.

Just like Cripps. Shines in a garbage Carlton midfield.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Synper versus crash party..

Fyfe versis dusty...

I am slowly getting there...
Nate vs Dusty... you are trialing the interference with the lord of all bamboozelement...

they are all as silly as they like to be...

Synper versus crash party..

Fyfe versis dusty...

I am slowly getting there...
Nate vs Dusty... you are trialing the interference with the lord of all bamboozelement...

they are all as silly as they like to be...
If feel like I am reading obscure Jack Kerouac when you post. Beat poster. I bet you love the Friday cryptic crossword in the Age to.

If feel like I am reading obscure Jack Kerouac when you post. Beat poster. I bet you love the Friday cryptic crossword in the Age to.
I love the lord when he gives me a smacking chance to prove you wrong..

Jack .. plus things that make it profitable... go at a it...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back