Nathan Fyfe vs Dustin Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

There was times where Fyfe may have appeared better, but Martin has been better for longer.

This is probably the most inaccurate thing posted in the thread so far.

Fyfe came second to Pav in our B&F in 2011 in just his second season. Won it in 2013 in his 4th (after a dislocated shoulder ruined his 3rd season). First AA was in 2014.

Martin didn't start winning any awards until 2016.

I'll just say this - I think Fyfe and Martin are the top 2 in the game (I choose - aaah, I'll think about it some more:cool:).

However, I think that Dangerfield's skillset sometimes lets him dominate an individual game to the highest level of all of them.

In other words - Fyfe is the most consistent, Martin more the brilliant match-winner, Danger capable of complete games that make you go 'wow'. Ok - maybe he does those games against GC, and never in finals etc - but when he's on, he's really on.

I agree that Danger should be in the conversation - they are the best 3 in the game. GAB junior at his best was better imo though! But all those three have a chance to elevate their reputations even more.

I agree that Danger should be in the conversation - they are the best 3 in the game. GAB junior at his best was better imo though! But all those three have a chance to elevate their reputations even more.
It's not a contest for the best ever it is Nat Fyfe vs Dusty personally I love both players but Dusty is more durable

It's not a contest for the best ever it is Nat Fyfe vs Dusty personally I love both players but Dusty is more durable

You leave me with no choice then - FYFE.

Genuinely wins more contested/hard ball and there's no more exciting site in the game than his long hanging marking. Can also lead a bit.

You leave me with no choice then - FYFE.

Genuinely wins more contested/hard ball and there's no more exciting site in the game than his long hanging marking. Can also lead a bit.
Dusty is a big game player unfortunately Fyfe doesn't get those opportunities

Give the nod to Dusty purely on how damaging he is with the ball and his match winning goal kicking ability ... both absolute champions though .

Anyone saying “x is clearly better” “y then daylight” is trolling. Very tight, on a different day bc against a different team you’d want the other one.

im just trying not to take for granted having a bloke in my side that is talked about as one of the best in the comp. Can’t wait to tell my kids about Martin as my old man tells me about Royce Hart etc

Martin was a better player in 2017 when he took the "don't argue" to the next level and nobody could tackle him. It seems like the past 2 seasons, opposition players have figured out how to tackle him a bit better and he's not as unstoppable as he once was. He got pinged for holding the ball a fair bit last season. As it stands now, I reckon he's on par with Fyfe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Durability is important too. That’s why guys like Pendlebury are held in such high regard, just fronts up week after week. Martin has Fyfe covered for durability easily. As to who’s better overall, tough one. Fyfe dominates in a freo team that doesn’t have other great players. Dusty dominates in a team that does. Dusty for me, but not by much.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Martin has had two seasons where he was better than Fyfe - 2016 when Fyfe missed most of the year and 2017 when Martin was incredible. Both are amazing players who are fantastic to watch. But I can't see how you argue Martin wins this one.

No, of course you don't. :'( :$ lol.

Awww. You're upset that Richmond is king again... Do you believe it should have been another west choke flag? :'(

Land to build your house on.
What ever helps you sleep at night champ, if thinking people only rate Fyfe higher because 'they hate Richmond' is what does that for you i am glad.

Fyfe won the Brownlow in 2015 when Freo finished 1st. He polls better in the Brownlow because he is a much more consistent player over the course of an entire season.

Yes he did, and Dusty won it with record votes in a premiership year.

Splitting hairs I think.

I agree Dusty is less consistent. But I think his best > Fyfe's best when it comes to hurting your opponent in a footy sense.

I agree Dusty is less consistent. But I think his best > Fyfe's best when it comes to hurting your opponent in a footy sense.

An accurate statement even if personally I think Fyfe's best is more damaging.. Fyfe has been elite for longer than Dusty imo, but he is more plagued by injury. It's close to even right now and at the end of their careers they may also be roughly even in terms of individual achievements.

In my view Fyfe has won more games singlehandedly for Freo compared to Dusty but that may be more of a reflection of their respective teammates.

An accurate statement even if personally I think Fyfe's best is more damaging.. Fyfe has been elite for longer than Dusty imo, but he is more plagued by injury. It's close to even right now and at the end of their careers they may also be roughly even in terms of individual achievements.

In my view Fyfe has won more games singlehandedly for Freo compared to Dusty but that may be more of a reflection of their respective teammates.

RE: games won, I'd be biased if I responded as I am a RFC man through and through, and regularly find Freo one of the worst non-supported teams to watch (any Ross Lyon team actually).

Fyfe hit elite much earlier for sure. Dusty has always been good to very good, and only really elite in the last handful of years IMO. Possibly grown up a bit later.

RE: games won, I'd be biased if I responded as I am a RFC man through and through, and regularly find Freo one of the worst non-supported teams to watch (any Ross Lyon team actually).

Fyfe hit elite much earlier for sure. Dusty has always been good to very good, and only really elite in the last handful of years IMO. Possibly grown up a bit later.

Yep Ross-ball was a bore for many but Fyfe pretty much willed his team over the line on dozens of occasions. He won two Brownlows under Ross Lyon which is evidence that he is certainly a match winner. Think he has the most votes per game out of any recent AFL player.

Lol this isn't even an argument, dusty clearly the best player. From his debut season til now he has been pretty consistent. Now he has two flags and 2 norm Smiths. Everyone would agree he was a massive part of why we won those flags. Hence he is the best. If you're best player in the best team in the comp you rank higher.

Those saying fyfe didn't get those chances or he plays in a s**t team. Well dusty did play in a s**t team and because of him he helped turned us around massively. Fyfe got his chance on the big stage and couldn't do it. Dusty #1 fyfe #2

Lol this isn't even an argument, dusty clearly the best player. From his debut season til now he has been pretty consistent. Now he has two flags and 2 norm Smiths. Everyone would agree he was a massive part of why we won those flags. Hence he is the best. If you're best player in the best team in the comp you rank higher.

Those saying fyfe didn't get those chances or he plays in a s**t team. Well dusty did play in a s**t team and because of him he helped turned us around massively. Fyfe got his chance on the big stage and couldn't do it. Dusty #1 fyfe #2
This is some Skip Bayless type analysis. Being the best player on the best team doesn't make you the best overall player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back