Traded Nathan Kreuger (SANFL) via Carlton to Geelong for Pick 42

Remove this Banner Ad

How many 19 yr old KP talls go from typical skinny KP kid who didn't get drafted to "mature body" in just 12 months while playing at a 2nd tier comp?
You know they didn’t have to select the player Geelong did right?

Yeah cause a state league player like this would have offered mature leadership...

You know they didn’t have to select the player Geelong did right?

Personally I'd go after someone like Mitch Grigg who has been on an AFL list before and also knows what it is to be the opposition's main target for tags.

Can someone please help explain the rules to me about these Carlton and Gold Coast picjs? There is obviously a rule saying that this guy was ok to select, but that they couldn't select a talented "this guy will be top 5" but what are the rules please?

At pick 42 for a KP player in any draft you will always been taking a project player. Almost outside the top 15 KP players are all reasonble risks. I just love that he tested in the top ten for agilty at the national combine last year. It is the most important trait for KPP for mine. They all tend to have enough straight line speed otherwise they aren't even considered but to move that well at 196cm is a huge plus.

Carlton took Tom De Konning as that speculative project tall last year at pick 29 IIRC. They don't need another one of the same sort. TDK was rated by most last year between second and fourth round by most pundits/phantom drafts. I honestly don't recall seeing Kreuger's name though. Not saying I think he's rubbish or anything, just sounds like a late bloomer which is fairly normal for KP types.

Can someone please help explain the rules to me about these Carlton and Gold Coast picjs? There is obviously a rule saying that this guy was ok to select, but that they couldn't select a talented "this guy will be top 5" but what are the rules please?
They have to be mature age players - which is defined as having nominated for the draft in past years and not been selected, or have been drafted and delisted by an AFL club. So no top 5 picks.

Carlton took Tom De Konning as that speculative project tall last year at pick 29 IIRC. They don't need another one of the same sort. TDK was rated by most last year between second and fourth round by most pundits/phantom drafts. I honestly don't recall seeing Kreuger's name though. Not saying I think he's rubbish or anything, just sounds like a late bloomer which is fairly normal for KP types.

Yeah I think you are spot on but for Kreuger it was more maturity off field than anything. He was so shy and immature and I feel clubs just weren't sure he was ready to be on a list and all it entails last year.

Lol based on what.

How would you know how much the state league players are worth to other clubs?

Last year 3 mature age players went in the first 31 picks. This while deal is nothing but a favor to Geelong. Pick 42 is a rubbish pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah cause a state league player like this would have offered mature leadership...

Look and Geelongs and even Hawthorns history of state league players who have been overlooked for multiple drafts:
  • Tim Kelly drafted at 23
  • Tom Stewart - 24
  • Isaac Smith - 22
  • Paul Poupolo - 23
You only have to look at the state leagues to see some non AFL list players beat AFL list players week in week out. There are plenty of 22 to 25t year olds who deserve a chance and would add more than an 18 year old who hasn't even played in a mens league yet.

Carlton has enough youth and need to look at spreading their demographic. We all recognize this and AFL acted to support this... then Carlton give it away.

Last edited:
They have to be mature age players - which is defined as having nominated for the draft in past years and not been selected, or have been drafted and delisted by an AFL club. So no top 5 picks.

Thanks very much, very helpful Lore.

Sorry when did that happen? 5 wins last year an 5 this year? No proven method to building a list look at the pies
I think you ought to actually watch my club before you proceed to lecture me about them. Or at minimum look at the scores, showing you how many games were lost by a kick or less. Perhaps pick 42 will give your club more than a mature body or leadership will. But I doubt it.
We're not here to talk about either Brisbane's or Carlton's lists, plenty of other threads for that.

Stick to the topic.

You know they can select any player 20 and over that they want to or trade that player for a pick right? It's not up to you to decide what they should or shouldn't do with these picks.
That’s the good thing about discussion forums, people are allowed to express opinions and I think they could have used it better and I’m not alone.

How dumb are people in this thread.

You do realise we could on trade pick 42 to help us get someone like McGovern,setterfield or Shiel if he nominated us right?

Yes we know that but do all 3 FFS. You have to stop putting all your eggs in one draft methodology basket and do all 3:
  1. Normal Draft
  2. Trade/free agency established players
  3. Mature age non AFL listed player who can add value even if they are not going to be super stars.... You know the likes of Tom Stewart, Tim Kelly, Isaac Smith, Matthew Priddis, Hayden Ballantyne and Michael Hibberd.

Last edited:
I hope he turns out to be a good player for you club. Could be some astute trading by Wells once again.
Well good luck to you as well sir. I actually said to a Dees mate of mine that if I could support anyone right now it would be Melbourne. Most exciting list in the game for mine. Thinking of a Brayshaw brownlow, Dees flag mutli for next year.

I don't have issues with them trading the players they have access to but they've essentially traded him for trash.
Ok. Well here are some players who were drafted at pick 40 and over.... we just traded a player not even on our list and got a pick in return. Its like someone giving you a free beer out of the carton they just bought. Best thing is... blues get 2. Second to be in play with the crows for mcgovern. Whatever happens. Mcgovern and 42 is lovely return for players not even on our list. https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...aken-from-picks-50-to-41-20151111-gkwl1u.html

Turning these speculative mature aged players ..into proven players eg Mcgovern
Yes I'm sure Adelaide really had their eye on that prized pick 42. There's no way the deal will go through with out it.:rolleyes:

This trade makes sense for both teams IMO.

McAdam will nominate Carlton and be on traded with one of the second rounders for McGovern IMO.

Stephen Wells said today that Geelong kept tabs on Kreuzer all year and regretted not taking him last season.

Both of these clubs win IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back