Traded Nathan Kreuger (SANFL) via Carlton to Geelong for Pick 42

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell me a mature aged player this year that will go top 40?

Maybe McAdam but we will on trade him as well.

What good is a state league player going to do for Carlton we already have plenty of them I thought?

Sam Collins I would thought been a Chance

True I forgot about him, not sure we need a key defender atm though. I was mainly speaking midfield which is our weakness.

I would of Thought you would of got Collins and Traded him

Carlton heard he wasnt a GWS player so traded him.

I keep checking the list and realizing how many non-GWS players we have.

Thank god SOS is on the job.

Before he took over we had barely any!

Foucault1989

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
You cannot judge a trade until the trade period is complete. How we use that pick 42 will be interesting but either way it is a free pick.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
They made a good point on Trade Radio this afternoon, that Carlton trading these mature selections is going to screw over Gold Coast's attempts to get McAdam, because Carlton can offer him to Adelaide in the McGovern deal. Works for McAdam since he doesn't have to move, works for Adelaide and Carlton, pretty much everyone except for Gold Coast.

They made a good point on Trade Radio this afternoon, that Carlton trading these mature selections is going to screw over Gold Coast's attempts to get McAdam, because Carlton can offer him to Adelaide in the McGovern deal. Works for McAdam since he doesn't have to move, works for Adelaide and Carlton, pretty much everyone except for Gold Coast.

Oh well they get 3 of them.

That's the exact reason Gold Coast got 3 selections to our 2.

Is it just first come first served?

What would have happened if both clubs wanted the same bloke?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stewart66

Premiership Player
Saints Pledge Contributor
Jul 27, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
His numbers match up really well against first round draft picks taken last year that played in the VLF, SANFL and WAFL this year. Has huge upside and was very immature at the combine last year in interviews ect. The belief as I understand it was that clubs weren't sure he was mature enough to be on an AFL list from a character perspective. Not a blight on him just so shy and potentially may have struggled being away from friends and family. Talent is top top end despite his inconsistency with productivity from time to time. Great size at 196 for someone who was top ten in agility testing last year. That is very very elite movement for someone that size!

Should have been drafted last year , elite speed wanted the saints to rookie him .

Amazed he was not drafted last year.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
You do realize he was able to be drafted last season and EVERY club over looked him.

Also has not done much at state level to die for going by reports.

Smart move by SOS and this pick will be used whatever way we see fit regardless if opposition Internet supporters like it or not. ;)

The melting on here is awesome!

Happy to back GFC evaluation of state players over Carlton's evaluation of any player. Last state player we drafted was AA in his second AFL year.

Happy to back GFC evaluation of state players over Carlton's evaluation of any player. Last state player we drafted was AA in his second AFL year.
Glad you are happy and so are we.

Win win.

BluesWagon

Debutant
Sep 26, 2018
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Who is next on the agenda for the blues? Looks like GC have signed their crop.
I'll be very surprised if it's not Shane McAdam from Sturt. Then on trading him to Adelaide to be part of the McGovern deal. Works out well because he prefers to stay in Adelaide, won't sign for GC because they want him to be part of their list.

boffo

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2006
AFL Club
Adelaide
You should look on Kreuger as a draftee, he's not a mature age (or body).

I saw him a few times for South this year and was stunned to learn nobody had drafted him last year. He took contested marks, was courageous (running into packs looking at the ball coming over his shoulder), and is an excellent kick for goal. And with his vertical leap and 195cm he is virtually unstoppable if your midfield can deliver to him on the lead.

I'm not saying he dominated games, he's still a kid, but has some elite attributes.

I'm not surprised Wells likes him.

Geelong have done well here.

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
Look and Geelongs and even Hawthorns history of state league players who have been overlooked for multiple drafts:
  • Tim Kelly drafted at 23
  • Tom Stewart - 24
  • Isaac Smith - 22
  • Paul Poupolo - 23
You only have to look at the state leagues to see some non AFL list players beat AFL list players week in week out. There are plenty of 22 to 25t year olds who deserve a chance and would add more than an 18 year old who hasn't even played in a mens league yet.

Carlton has enough youth and need to look at spreading their demographic. We all recognize this and AFL acted to support this... then Carlton give it away.

Could just be we see more value in pick 42.

We need a midfield, which Setterfield, Walsh and hopefully Shiel will help no end.

We already have mature state league types in Kerridge and Graham as midfield backup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back