Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Definitely worth hanging onto til end of 2020.

Understand this is a development year. Hopefully over the preseason he puts on a few kgs in muscle and next year they settle him into a particular role and give him time to develop there, the way they've seemed to have penciled McLarty in as a ruck-forward in his 2nd year.
Didn’t see the need to rush in an extra year on his contract. Obviously want him to be 10 year player and all that but every player on the list should get another year now.

Didn’t see the need to rush in an extra year on his contract. Obviously want him to be 10 year player and all that but every player on the list should get another year now.

Pretty rare a player gets chopped after their two years. They must be happy with him to offer it now...or getting all the small contracts done now before they focus more on DeGoey, Moore, etc

Perhaps we need to lock in known required player salaries for the next few years so we know exactly what we a playing with when negotiating with Moore, JDG, Lynch. Makes perfect sense.

At the moment it looks like we have really got our s**t together on the list management side at the moment. If we can keep JDG and Moore, and get Lynch it would be an excellent outcome.

Definitely worth hanging onto til end of 2020.

Understand this is a development year. Hopefully over the preseason he puts on a few kgs in muscle and next year they settle him into a particular role and give him time to develop there, the way they've seemed to have penciled McLarty in as a ruck-forward in his 2nd year.

I prefer him down back as he is Excellent Kick to the Forwards

What position and who's spot will Murph take in Collingwood's future?

That's a very good question. Spent time forward and back this season but I'm not certain where he'll end up. Seems more suited to defence. Time will tell.

For the VFL watchers how far off is he realistically? When we picked him up he was talked about as being close to par with Stephenson and someone we would have been happy to pick up with pick 6. Is he showing that level of potential yet?

For the VFL watchers how far off is he realistically? When we picked him up he was talked about as being close to par with Stephenson and someone we would have been happy to pick up with pick 6. Is he showing that level of potential yet?
No where near pick 6, they must have been trying to deflect fron\m Stephenson, he is a very good disposer by foot and very athletic but still a long way off

He has been put in defence the year as learning experience, could be moved forward next year, will be interesting to see how he goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's going to be a beauty. Sometimes you just get a little glimpse of the future and I reckon I got it around Christmas at training. It was during match simulation and there was a stoppage. The ball came out to Murphy who went to his right boot and delivered over the pack to a player down field perhaps 35 to 40 metres away. Very impressive we thought. Shortly after this he did it again on his left boot. He is a very good decision maker, is skilled on both sides and is quick. He will be a regular in 2019.

He's going to be a beauty. Sometimes you just get a little glimpse of the future and I reckon I got it around Christmas at training. It was during match simulation and there was a stoppage. The ball came out to Murphy who went to his right boot and delivered over the pack to a player down field perhaps 35 to 40 metres away. Very impressive we thought. Shortly after this he did it again on his left boot. He is a very good decision maker, is skilled on both sides and is quick. He will be a regular in 2019.

Can't like this post enough. You can't have too many good decision makers with skill in your team. They are the matchwinners when it really matters.

He will not make 1sts this season but he will next year and probably will stay there,he was the youngest player we picked in the draft much like Sier was.Apples is entirely correct in his appraisal and there are players you know will make it and Murphy is one.

What I like about him is his courage earlier in the season he was targeted and got knocked senseless with a bloody nose but he came back on and played a ripper game and showed no fear,very impressive for a boy and he will be good when he gets there.

I see him Down Back as played some Good Games early in the Season down there but when go Forward looked bit Lost

I know nothing about him other than what I've read here, but I'm hoping he can become a player like Adelaide's Tom Lynch - a hit up forward with great endurance, repeat leads and nice skills. I think it's a player type that would add greatly to our team. But I've got no idea whether it's a realistic positional goal for him.

He’s one of those young players that is not in AA contention yet so let’s panic a little.

He’s getting the time he needs.
Suspect once he gets a go he’ll be there long term.

So who does he “threaten” in the team? Could be anyone of the mediums. They’ll all need to maintain their place as competitive players like Murphy will be waiting...

Had been like this always ...

This might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm kinda hoping he turns into that athletic dangerous medium tall in the forward line who can blow up his opponent with work rate pushing up the ground and hit the scoreboard when he's staying closer to the F50.

This might be a bit of a stretch, but I'm kinda hoping he turns into that athletic dangerous medium tall in the forward line who can blow up his opponent with work rate pushing up the ground and hit the scoreboard when he's staying closer to the F50.

He needs to get Bloody Lot Fitter and Faster for that to Work

He is very young and slight. Needs another preseason. Got some good skills and awareness, so good foundation to work from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back