Player Watch Nathan Murphy

Mike Olotripo

Club Legend
Nov 15, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I’m surprised he hasn’t gone back to Adelaide. There was always a nervousness about him wanting to go back home.

I was told his girlfriend is studying medicine at Melbourne University and going back to Adelaide was not even in the conversation.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I was told his girlfriend is studying medicine at Melbourne University and going back to Adelaide was not even in the conversation.
Olinda would be a nice little club to play for with their ground at the top of the mountain. Will be cold and sometimes misty in winter, but I can think of worse places to finish up a career. Shouldn't imagine they will live up there if she is studying at Melbourne university. However, I will venture up at some stage to watch him play.

Last edited:

pablo disco bar

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Olinda would be a nice little club to play for with their ground at the top of the h. Will be cold and sometimes misty in winter, but I can think of worse places to finish up a career. Shouldn't imagine they will live up there if she is studying at Melbourne university. However, I will venture up at some stage to watch him play.
From being compared to wayne Carey to this ...not even 50 games and 0 goals.....dissapointing

Olinda would be a nice little club to play for with their ground at the top of the mountain. Will be cold and sometimes misty in winter, but I can think of worse places to finish up a career. Shouldn't imagine they will live up there if she is studying at Melbourne university. However, I will venture up at some stage to watch him play.
He'll be an absolute star in a lower, less athletic league.

Jul 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He'll be an absolute star in a lower, less athletic league.
The oval used to slope sharply away from the center of the ground and the ball would gather speed and distance if kicked in that direction from the half back line - a 30 meter kick would be guaranteed at least twice that distance if allowed to pass over the heads or through the hands of the players. In criicket season, a defensive stroke could be turned into a four if struck downhill.

Unfortunately for Matt, the oval was withdrawn from action, rebuilt and resurfaced some years back. I believe it is now being reconstructed in an area sliced from the old golf course. As a kid, I recall playing that course and losing sight of the ball in thick mist half way through the shot. It's likely there will be days when the full back will totally lose sight of the CHF. Matt's short, dinky kicks may be the only way to negotiate these conditions. His playing style may prove the perfect antidote to them. There will be days he will be playing in snow.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Well Howie and Moore are injured atm.

Don’t ever change! Moore only misses Rd 1 if he picks up a further injury and Murphy couldn’t break into the 22 last year in Howe's absence so a lot will need to go right for him to do it in Rd 1 this year. With Reef starting up forward I’d have the odds on that spot in the def group as Madgen 40%, Wilson 40%, Murphy 10% and Howe 10%.

The oval used to slope sharply away from the center of the ground and the ball would gather speed and distance if kicked in that direction from the half back line - a 30 meter kick would be guaranteed at least twice that distance if allowed to pass over the heads or through the hands of the players. In criicket season, a defensive stroke could be turned into a four if struck downhill.

Unfortunately for Matt, the oval was withdrawn from action, rebuilt and resurfaced some years back. I believe it is now being reconstructed in an area sliced from the old golf course. As a kid, I recall playing that course and losing sight of the ball in thick mist half way through the shot. It's likely there will be days when the full back will totally lose sight of the CHF. Matt's short, dinky kicks may be the only way to negotiate these conditions. His playing style may prove the perfect antidote to them. There will be days he will be playing in snow.
It’s done. They put a new flat oval and a really good playground at the top of the hill of the old golf course.

Collingwould

All Australian
Sep 22, 2008
Brunswick West
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s done. They put a new flat oval and a really good playground at the top of the hill of the old golf course.
nice, I wish they had've done that some 20 odd years ago when I played ressies there (a lot further back when I played U11/13's) :) played in the snow one fine day there too. Shaz will love the trek out out Warburton and Healesville!

swoop42

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
The 18
AFL Club
Collingwood
Any evidence so far this off season we're prepared to give this bloke an opportunity in any position that isn't in defence?

He should be given every chance to take on Mayne this summer, play his role in the opposing side during the intra club sessions and replace him in the pecking order if he outperforms him. Failing that use him as a utility and give him opportunity up forward, on a wing and down back at VFL level this year.

Continuing to play him as a defender and expecting him to dislodge if fit any of Moore (CHB), Roughead/Keane (FB), Howe (HBF), Crisp (HBF), Maynard (BP) and Quaynor/Noble (BP) from our 22 is probably wishful thinking and he'll be relying on injury or overtaking Madgen to even get a sniff of opportunity in our senior back 7.

Murphy has talent but not insignificant injury concerns across his first two seasons followed by the disruptions caused by COVID in his third has seen his development stagnate and if we continue to pigeon hole him as a defensive option then I fear lack of senior opportunity will eventually see him consigned to the scrap heap.

Big year coming up. I did like the signs he showed in 2018 in the couple of games he got. Long time ago now. He should be looking at pushing hard in the pre season and getting some game time then. If he doesn't its getting more unlikely. Positive for him is 11 players picked up in 2019/20 played no real footy or low level footy in 2020, McCreery the exception, so as a group they are unlikely to be very developed and shouldn't have many challenging early for games, might get more compeditive as they develop through the year but if he stays fit in 2021 he should have evry chance to find a spot.

Was it as bad as the potato chip ground at Kalorama? Played cricket there a few times and it was an interesting experience thats for sure

Back