Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing from Murph. Showed more in his second year that was he has this year. Elite reading of play not as evident, slow decision maker, kicking skills iffy, not dominating in the air, and v good aerobic capacity not translating to on-field performance whatsoever. Should be our Howe replacement / Lever / Tom Stewart, but is nowhere near it

Maybe his Injury effected him more then we think

A player entering their fifth year requiring that to go their way in order to be judged is overly generous. He’s had that this year and the output has been underwhelming. He’s been solid at VFL level and sub par at AFL level despite receiving opportunities to settle.

Take Ruscoe for example. He started the year as a forward, was thrown back, looked very good at VFL level and has shown more in his 10 quarters at senior level down back than Murphy has in his career. The kicker is it’s his second season! Not all players are alike, but that’s the gap between a guy that has the tools to make it and one that doesn’t.
He's contracted for next year, that's probably the only reason I said that but you never know

Really does seem to have lost a bit of intensity and gained a solid dose of indecisiveness with ball in hand since that last head knock, shame too because he was tracking ok at that point. Hopefully a strong incident-free preseason can get him going and he can show a consistent ability to both stay out on the paddock and produce at a consistently solid level, or it might end up being his last season at AFL level.

Last edited:

Ideally, should play Maynes or Madges role from last night. I would play him for the rest of the year over Madge or Mayne. Obviously, this won't happen..

His skills aren’t that bad. Could do with some dedicated running work with a coach to build further explosiveness.

With experience could get better at say reading the ball if he’s left down back, rather than shifted around constantly. For mine he’s no forward

I’m not big on him but until other options at his size are available he’s probably borderline best 22. Same can be said for Madgen unfortunately

You must not of watched his goal kicking if you think he's a good kick

I think one of the concerns is that the club really lacks speed. Players that have been coming through around the 192cm level seem to have a bit of pace.

So if you don’t, you really need to make up for it with other weapons because we really need to inject more speed into the 22.

No doubt he has courage, but over the next 12 months he is really going to need to show more. At this point, I’m not sure he will be missed if we replaced him with even Keane. Keane has the height and speed. He is just found out deep in defense one on one. Murphy doesn’t play that role anyway. So if Keane played Murphy’s current position, I think he will add far more.

I think one of the concerns is that the club really lacks speed. Players that have been coming through around the 192cm level seem to have a bit of pace.

So if you don’t, you really need to make up for it with other weapons because we really need to inject more speed into the 22.

No doubt he has courage, but over the next 12 months he is really going to need to show other reasons why he is a valuable member of the 22. At this point, I’m not sure he will be missed if we replaced him with even Keane. Keane has the height and speed. He is just found out deep in defense one on one. Murphy doesn’t play that role anyway. So if Keane played Murphy’s current position, I think he will add far more.
There are lots of people knocking on Murphy's door. Reef is a similar size and is much quicker as well. He's only 21 and needs another uninterrupted preseason before we can fully judge him, but there are lots of players we can pick in that do-it-all role

i cant remember him guarding someone on a lead.... or even making a lead himself when he's in the forward line. When he's defending in the forward line, I have these memories of him sprawling and losing his feet. He went back with the ball again against Port, although a free had already been given. It seems to be his one wood, his iron and his putter...I cant remember seeing him take a run. I'd like to see a highlights reel to see what he can actually do well. As i wrote earlier, i do remember him losing his feet regularly. I might be wrong with ruscoe so i'm hoping i'm wrong with this guy

He's a bit of a mystery man... doesn't seem to have any particular footy strengths and doesn't scream 'I'm a forward/wing/back/mid' to any extent. Maybe lingering effects from that concussion earlier in the year, hope he prospers but I dunno..

There are lots of people knocking on Murphy's door. Reef is a similar size and is much quicker as well. He's only 21 and needs another uninterrupted preseason before we can fully judge him, but there are lots of players we can pick in that do-it-all role
Next year will be year 5. That's a long time. Some players take that long to come through, but generally players who are given that long have a weapon, but need to develop other parts of their game in order to use it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next year will be year 5. That's a long time. Some players take that long to come through, but generally players who are given that long have a weapon, but need to develop other parts of their game in order to use it.
It is a long time, for sure, but given his run with injuries I don't see the harm. He's also contracted, so he'll be around anyway

Murphy hasn't demonstrated any longterm ability to stay healthy... A part of the problem that we got into previously was having a number of players on the list who would break easily. I would argue that both shaz and reid were far more useful players than murphy when fit, but their fragility was the problem. Ruscoe was picked up at pick 55 and I wouldnt put Murphy ahead of him in the usefulness department. In short, if I had a chance to swap Murphy for a Ruscoe type I would do it. In the end, the question of murphy's retention is almost irrelevant to winning a premiership, but a kid who can stay fit in the longterm might be preferable.

Yep hasn't shown enough at the moment and has had sufficient opportunity in the seniors. Not writing him off but time to give another young kid an opportunity to do better than Murphy (e.g. Wilson/Reef)

He's a bit of a mystery man... doesn't seem to have any particular footy strengths and doesn't scream 'I'm a forward/wing/back/mid' to any extent. Maybe lingering effects from that concussion earlier in the year, hope he prospers but I dunno..
Simply not good enough & is just a list clogger Lacks intensity & tenacity as well as speed & general football smarts. To be delisted unless he can turn himself around DRAMATICALLY in the remaining games of 2021! Goodnight & goodluck.

Simply not good enough & is just a list clogger Lacks intensity & tenacity as well as speed & general football smarts. To be delisted unless he can turn himself around DRAMATICALLY in the remaining games of 2021! Goodnight & goodluck.
He's contracted next year and he's 21 years old, so he won't be delisted.

Hmmmm, I’d have thought it was his “intensity & tenacity” that has caused his many contact injuries.

We are leaderless no coach no system no management. Let’s hope 2022 is better.

can't be any worse....

You're a surfer....its a 10 wave hold down....and we're at wave number 4.....more pain expected but we either hold on or we drown hey?
The tides gotta turn sooner or later!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back