Player Watch Nathan Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe he’s training to get another shot somewhere.

I get that part just thought he would be doing it on his own.......it’s a good surprise by the way.

He would be a good VFL player for us IMO.

I could see Murphy getting to key position size comfortably he is only 2 or 3 cms short now and is still a month shy of 19 and he has a lot of growing to do.He strikes me as a player who does not get flustered easily and we have already seen he has the ticker,when he came back on after getting knocked senseless against Werribe.

I think he will play a lot of matches for Collingwood at a very high standard and will be 1 of the big 5 going forward he is fantastic prospect and they really nailed it with him.

I could see Murphy getting to key position size comfortably he is only 2 or 3 cms short now and is still a month shy of 19 and he has a lot of growing to do.He strikes me as a player who does not get flustered easily and we have already seen he has the ticker,when he came back on after getting knocked senseless against Werribe.

I think he will play a lot of matches for Collingwood at a very high standard and will be 1 of the big 5 going forward he is fantastic prospect and they really nailed it with him.
Nathan told me the club expects he gets to ~90kg and ~195cm. Not KPP size but a great size for a 3rd tall down back or up forward. Given his athleticism, he does give us flexibility. Agreed, a nice prospect.

I wouldnt want to be relying on him as a key defender. Didnt like how we had to rely on Howe/Scharenberg/Langdon, just because you know theres a possibility they’ll get exposed if things go pear shaped.

He clearly has potential to be an Andrew Mackie/Grant Birchall type half back. And reminds some of us of a young Ben Reid the way he intercepts and slingshots the ball back.

Height is just one part of the equation.

Strength and balance are others.

Hogan and Curnow? They are strong KP types.

Birchall and Andrejs Everitt are/were just as tall, but were flankers.

Murphy will likely remain a flanker no matter what his height.
Was thinking Jake Lever personally. Tall intercept marker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Height is not the issue. 90kg is pretty light weight for a KPP.

The kid is 18 about to turn 19. He has plenty of time to built his frame. He ultimately not play as a KPP, but the potential is there if that is what they want to do with him. That said, I wouldn’t. I would look at either Lever or Gunston as his role models.

The kid is 18 about to turn 19. He has plenty of time to built his frame. He ultimately not play as a KPP, but the potential is there if that is what they want to do with him. That said, I wouldn’t. I would look at either Lever or Gunston as his role models.

Surely Gunston is a key forward and one of the better ones. I really struggle with the narrow view of what a KPP player is. The way I see it is, if you get a pretty high % of forward entry kicks directed to you, you're playing as a key forward, regardless of height or weight. Degoey played as key forward ofr us this year. When Martin goes to the goal square, he plays as a key forward.

Nathan told me the club expects he gets to ~90kg and ~195cm. Not KPP size but a great size for a 3rd tall down back or up forward. Given his athleticism, he does give us flexibility. Agreed, a nice prospect.

Although I’m calling bullshit because there’s no way he’ll play at 90kg with his shoulders I have to clarify. In what alternate reality are we living where 195/90 is not KPP size?? That is literally as big or bigger than every gun KPP of the past 50 years aside from Buddy... This industry is in serious trouble if these are the norms of those on the inside!

He was also KO'ed vs Coburg and Came Back to have a Great Game

Although I’m calling bullshit because there’s no way he’ll play at 90kg with his shoulders
This was my initial thought too. He has the frame to turn in to a genuinely big boy. I’ll be very surprised if his playing weight ends up being 90kgs when he matures, especially if he ends up at 195. He could very easily become a Ben Reid 2010/11 type KPD imo.

This was my initial thought too. He has the frame to turn in to a genuinely big boy. I’ll be very surprised if his playing weight ends up being 90kgs when he matures, especially if he ends up at 195. He could very easily become a Ben Reid 2010/11 type KPD imo.

Perfect example!

From memory Reid entered the system at 80kg and they do share a resemblance in body shape, but more importantly you could immediately see that Reid’s frame was capable of carrying 100kg. Reid’s 195cm himself so I just can’t see Murphy playing at 90kg should he continue growing. The other that he shares a body shape with is Curnow, IMO.

FWIW I’m not convinced Murphy is a KP prospect only that at that size he’d be big enough for it. I think the strength he has in a defensive role is his Tooveyesque ranginess and I have to wonder how much of that is lost if he continues to grow.

I think Ben Reid is an exact comparison to Murphy,I would think Murphy just looking at him has the frame to be a 100kg player,he has wide shoulders and big hands and his arms are very long quite easy to put meat and muscle on that frame.

Although I’m calling bullshit because there’s no way he’ll play at 90kg with his shoulders I have to clarify. In what alternate reality are we living where 195/90 is not KPP size?? That is literally as big or bigger than every gun KPP of the past 50 years aside from Buddy... This industry is in serious trouble if these are the norms of those on the inside!

I'm a crap judge of these things, but to me he looks physically similar to a young Scott Pendlebury, who now plays at 91 kgs.

I'm a crap judge of these things, but to me he looks physically similar to a young Scott Pendlebury, who now plays at 91 kgs.

I thought of Pendlebury also.

150520_pendlebury300a.jpg Nathan+Murphy+Collingwood+Magpies+Training+PaM6BG8tejAl.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back