Player Watch Nathan Murphy

Remove this Banner Ad

Murphy has returned to Melbourne but apparently his growth spurt is still overseas on an end of season trip.

Must refrain from adolescent joke....not easy...already had a couple of drinkies....

Great post with the link young Dave.

Here are some of his best words in the letter.
In other words it's ALWAYS up to the player to make it happen for themselves.

• It could happen at any time for you and the only thing that you’re able to control is how you go about your business.
  • Do as much as you can because the coaches notice when you put in time and effort.
  • If you can go back and play well it shows the recruiters you’ve got a really good character and your opportunity will come.
  • If you’re willing to put in the effort to get better and if you’re good enough, they will find you and give you your chance.
  • At the end of the day, footy owes you nothing so don’t expect for it to be handed to you. It’s all in your hands.

Very leveled headed kid. Fast becoming one of my favourites.
He's a beauty.
I'm so liking the young ones coming through in the last year: Stephenson, Sier, Murphy.
Great stuff.

We should play him from round 1 and keep him in even he has some flat spots
He's my pick for break out player for the coming season.

Though he should, ofcourse, earn his way in, and merit ongoing selection.
Agree a flat spot or two is ok.
In fact this season just past they really did give players a bit of a run at it games wise.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Murphy would be quite disturbed at the amount of people specifically talking about his height.

Doubt he’s ever a key position defender, even if he does grow to 195.
Unfortunately Collingwood supporters place no ceiling on their capacity to exaggerate and embellish the worth of a player. No way will Murphy achieve the growth spurt envisioned by many over the top believers in this thread.

Unfortunately Collingwood supporters place no ceiling on their capacity to exaggerate and embellish the worth of a player. No way will Murphy achieve the growth spurt envisioned by many over the top believers in this thread.
You reckon he can’t grow 2cm?

You mean he won't get to 7 foot? :eek:
A Collingwood 7 footer? :D

Last edited:
OK see my edit above. I have since seen him listed at 190 cm. You now say he is 193 cm. I have to believe that growth spurt before I can add 2 cm to make 195 cm. I cannot make the quantum leap you desire.
I hope you're right, as he's prone to changing sport and the way he's been growing it's a matter of time before the NBA scouts come knocking.

OK see my edit above. I have since seen him listed at 190 cm. You now say he is 193 cm. I have to believe that growth spurt before I can add 2 cm to make 195 cm. I cannot make the quantum leap you desire.
There’s photographic evidence that he’s taller than Madgen already. It’s not a stretch to say he’s at least 192-3cm now. On top of that we’ve had a poster who talked to Nathan himself, who said the club doctors expect him to reach 195cm. It’s really not the ‘quantum leap’ you describe.

On my pet topic.....Nathan Murphy has come back "an inch and a half taller"!
Club will be interested to see how he goes in the time trial in a couple of week's time given he was top 5 last season in only his first true pre-season (given cricket commitments historically).
Expected to play that 3rd tall forward/defender.
Club were very impressed with his performances this season given his (lack of) size and lack of historic pre-season training. Very optimistic about his future.

There’s photographic evidence that he’s taller than Madgen already. It’s not a stretch to say he’s at least 192-3cm now. On top of that we’ve had a poster who talked to Nathan himself, who said the club doctors expect him to reach 195cm. It’s really not the ‘quantum leap’ you describe.
I hope he does get to 195 cm. We could use another key tall with a bit of class and skill.

I hope he does get to 195 cm. We could use another key tall with a bit of class and skill.
Even if gets to 194 3/4 cm hell still have skill and class.

My prediction for our breakout player this year :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back