Player Watch Nathan Murphy

ExcitementMachine

Premiership Player
Aug 5, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I absolutely agree and I think that performance will prove a career killer unfortunately. It was a very tongue in cheek question though because neither Appleby or Murphy are any chance, IMO.

Career killer hey.
As a long time reader of this board I'll never forget that last year you wanted to trade Darcy Moore for Jaydn Short in a direct swap. Trolling I know, but still, that makes you have less credibility than David King sans a few bongs even, seriously, Appleby has a long way to go either way.

JOELY

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think this might be a mistake or not updated. He played in the practice game on friday. Unless he picked it up it that game.
The article is dated from the 3rd, given our secretive the club is it was likely outdated the moment it was written.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Career killer hey.
As a long time reader of this board I'll never forget that last year you wanted to trade Darcy Moore for Jaydn Short in a direct swap. Trolling I know, but still, that makes you have less credibility than David King sans a few bongs even, seriously, Appleby has a long way to go either way.

FMD? I wanted Short early 2018 and talked him up massively, but that was an example of what we could get if Moore wanted out and also included Sydney’s 1st (for those that appreciate context: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/trade-f-a-2017-2018-refreshed-cont-in-part-2.1180157/page-244)!

One thing I’ll give you is that you have an astounding memory for a poster that’s been around for a month.

Edit: this reads like the garbage old mate Spicey used to run with!

A career killer for a selector I hope you mean. Was an unfair ask of him to plan on Finlayson. To then be dropped and not get another look in is terrible player management. We simply got the selection wrong there and it was a big part of the loss.

Appleby could be in the selection mix. If we want another runner to replace Greenwood down back it's out of Appleby (fit and has played recently), Aish (off a long layoff) and possibly Varcoe. Based on that, Appleby would be some chance given Varcoe will also be in line to replace De Goey if Reid isn't available.

Nah I meant the player. What you call terrible player management I believe was a considered move in a different direction. It’s also not a direction I really agree with, but it had a McLarty/ Goodyear smell to it. I’m agnostic toward Appleby, but I think Greenwood’s ACL saved his bacon for 2020 and it’s highly unlikely he’s selected for the PF.

Last edited:

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
What looked to be concussion late in the VFL game is now listed as a neck injury. Murphy can't take trick.

That's last weeks list so it'll be interesting to see what they say this week. Trained last week unless I'm mistaken.

EDIT: What Joely said.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
FMD? I wanted Short early 2018 and talked him up massively, but that was an example of what we could get if Moore wanted out and also included Sydney’s 1st (for those that appreciate context: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/trade-f-a-2017-2018-refreshed-cont-in-part-2.1180157/page-244)!

One thing I’ll give you is that you have an astounding memory for a poster that’s been around for a month.

Edit: this reads like the garbage old mate Spicey used to run with!

Nah I meant the player. What you call terrible player management I believe was a considered move in a different direction. It’s also not a direction I really agree with, but it had a McLarty/ Goodyear smell to it. I’m agnostic toward Appleby, but I think Greenwood’s ACL saved his bacon for 2020 and it’s highly unlikely he’s selected for the PF.

Pretty sure he's contracted for 2020.

vicparksfinest

Senior List
Mar 31, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
ANy chance of this bloke becoming a winger or more likely just a half back flanker? Is there any scope for a Blicavs type?

Aishole

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
ANy chance of this bloke becoming a winger or more likely just a half back flanker? Is there any scope for a Blicavs type?
Considering Blicavs is one of the more unique players in the league... No, i wouldn’t put my money on a scope like that.

Blicavs is a 200cm endurance beast that is gifted athletically. Nothing against Nathan. but the two couldn’t be further apart. Blicavs is a rare kind of breed

Last edited:

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would accept Murphy as a key position defender if it means the club could trialed Moore forward again,if successful that could solved some of our forward problems.

I think Murphy is quite a likely looking type and have thought so since that match where he got targeted and hurt but came back on and dominated them,against Casey or someone else but it showed he has courage and the will to succeed.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

I'd like to see Murphy and Shaz both groomed for a wing role over the preseason and 1 of them usurp Mayne. Neither is overly pacey but I think the rest of their game would make them very handy on offensive transition and retaining the footy in our F50. The tank required the issue they'd need to work on.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would accept Murphy as a key position defender if it means the club could trialed Moore forward again,if successful that could solved some of our forward problems.

I would leave Moore where he is. Think KPD is his best and natural position.

Rather move Murphy forward. See him more a Gunston type, although Murphy may have grown to 200 cm by now so perhaps more like Patton.

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood

Rather move Murphy forward. See him more a Gunston type, although Murphy may have grown to 200 cm by now so perhaps more like Patton.
I think Murphy was a forward in schoolboy football but has played all his football in the back line for the Pies so he could be trialed forward as he is a nice kick also,to be honest I just want to see him playing as I think he has a bit going for him.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think Murphy was a forward in schoolboy football but has played all his football in the back line for the Pies so he could be trialed forward as he is a nice kick also,to be honest I just want to see him playing as I think he has a bit going for him.

Yes his season, or lack there of it, has been one of the greatest disappointment of the season. Let’s hope next year he is 100% fit and firing.

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
I didn’t think Murphy was that big.

He is listed at 190cm but there has been banter about his height. At some point Murphy commented (or was reported as saying) that the club projected that he would grow to 194cm. It is just part of the ongoing discussion about heights listed on the club website.

I would love it if he got to 196cm. Think that would make him capable of becoming a really swing man. But don’t think he will get to that height.

partypie

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 26, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls, Green Bay Packers
He is listed at 190cm but there has been banter about his height. At some point Murphy commented (or was reported as saying) that the club projected that he would grow to 194cm. It is just part of the ongoing discussion about heights listed on the club website.

I would love it if he got to 196cm. Think that would make him capable of becoming a really swing man. But don’t think he will get to that height.

Nathan Murphy is a God amongst many other lesser gods (and men) and nothing is impossible for him. Nothing. If he wakes up one morning and decides that 196cm is about the right size then 196cm he shall be.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think there is more chance we could try him Forward

In his first year during the pre-season he played a few games at FF, they like his marking power

I think, once fit, he will come back in via Defence though until he gets more games experience

Nov 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I suspect he is too slow to play on medium / smalls, and too short (and slow) to play on talls who are of the same pace.

At 193-94 he has the height but is not built like Dunn so KPD might be too much. But I think he eventually becomes a medium solid defender like Scharenberg. Like few at Collingwood, he just needs some luck on the injury front

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood

We can bank cap money and keep all our stars if Moore goes fwd - because we don’t need to spend big on a Super fwd.

No SPIN

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2009
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not more of this crap. He is an elite defender. Will be AA. It is his best position and our strength. You don’t fix one problem by making another.

He missed virtually all of 2018 and we nearly won the flag - we now have added Roughead, and Langdon will return and Murphy will play back ?

I would rather plan to keep Moore , JDG, Grundy, Stevo by not spending big on a fwd than lose one of them due to a cap squeeze.

Last edited:

ClaytonM

Premiership Player
Jan 20, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
He missed virtually all of 2018 and we nearly won the flag - we now have added Roughead, and Langdon will return and Murphy will play back ?

I would rather plan to keep Moore , JDG, Grundy, Stevo by not spending big on a fwd than lose one of them due to a cap squeeze.

Then don’t spend big on a key forward. As you said we nearly won a flag without one.

Back