Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

I would love to see him play on a wing, push Sidy into the forward line.
Clubs have moved away from strong marking wingman in favour of runners, but with the prevelance of the zone press i can definitely see clubs moving back to wingmen who are strong in the air to help disrupt the intercepts. It's worth a crack, as he's supposedly got a tank and despite the obsession with us recruiting more aerial defenders, we're really strong in the area.

If he remains a defender it's going to be tough. He's going to either need injuries or go past the likes of Howe and Langdon.
You may well be right. Unfortunately I am a bit pessimistic about Langdon’s durability. The lock ins for defence are Roughy, Maynard, Moore Howe Crisp. That last position is wide open as is a bench spot.

You may well be right. Unfortunately I am a bit pessimistic about Langdon’s durability. The lock ins for defence are Roughy, Maynard, Moore Howe Crisp. That last position is wide open as is a bench spot.
You're right. TBH i dont really know enough about Murphy. For some reason, Ive got him pegged as a third tall in which case i don't like his chances, but if he, like Langdon, can play tall and small, its a whole different ball game.

Murphy will be a better player than Langdon. May happen this season

Murphy will be a better player than Langdon. May happen this season

If he had Langdon's pace I'd be more inclined to agree with you. I think he'll be more flexible in terms of where he can play but I doubt he'll have the same capacity to play on talls or smalls. Whether that ultimately makes him a "better" player than Langdon remains to be seen but I'll be very happy if that comes to fruition. Langdon is very under rated on these boards.

If he had Langdon's pace I'd be more inclined to agree with you. I think he'll be more flexible in terms of where he can play but I doubt he'll have the same capacity to play on talls or smalls. Whether that ultimately makes him a "better" player than Langdon remains to be seen but I'll be very happy if that comes to fruition. Langdon is very under rated on these boards.
Better kick, more switched on, smarter, better reader of play (best at club), better endurance. Should become better player...

Better kick, more switched on, smarter, better reader of play (best at club), better endurance. Should become better player...
Best reader of play at the club? That’s a pretty big call, what makes you say that?

Not necessarily disagreeing, I haven’t seen enough of him. Just interested in your take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best reader of play at the club? That’s a pretty big call, what makes you say that?

Not necessarily disagreeing, I haven’t seen enough of him. Just interested in your take.
From multiple training sessions, with a bit of instinct added in. From the backline, I'd say Shaz is second and Langdon next, followed by Howe. But sadly Shaz doesnt have the pace or full confidence in his body to do what he could do in juniors imo. There's obv Pendles in the midfield, and our swarm squad up forward, but Murphy looked like he had the minor (albeit raw) upside on all of them from what I've seen.

My examples are when you see a black (v red) team in full flow of a slingshot offensive play, all things clicking moving the ball up the ground, reds exposed, black players streaming forward ahead of their opponents, with delivery to a forward player and goal imminent, then out of nowhere Murphy cuts off a key pass and the perfect execution is thwarted. Communal sighs ring out from black team, shoulders slump. Bucks blows the whistle to call everyone in and re-set. Then the smile appears on your face, and you know why Dekka rated him so highly...

You've either taken a lot more from his limited exposure at senior and VFL level than I have, or you don't rate Langdon all that highly.

Langdon ranked 14th league wide for intercepts per game in 2019, 10th in 2018, 5th in 2017. You don't get there without being smart and a good reader of the play. His disposal efficiency in 2019 was rated elite (83.2%), as was his kicking efficiency (84.3%).

If as you predict, Murphy becomes a better footballer, we'll have an absolute gun.

Totally agree. We are a better team with him in it. Superb 2018 finals series.

Arms could use some definition at this level too.

He's just doing the team thing and deliberately sucking it in so as to not intimidate the rest of the squad out on the training track.

Also has to restrain himself in one-on-one drills, kinda like what superman had to do as a teenager growing up - but Murphy is obviously far, far stronger.

53 Pages on Murphy, what am I missing?

What are posters seeing about him and who does he replace?

At the moment, he looks a chance to replace Shaz as the unlucky next in line guy. Not having a go at him, but we're just so well stocked for defenders who are strong in the air.

At the moment, he looks a chance to replace Shaz as the unlucky next in line guy. Not having a go at him, but we're just so well stocked for defenders who are strong in the air.
But Shaz hasn't been playing which is what I don't get.

Not having a go at him, just really haven't paid much attention to him, not even the VFL games I have been to.

Will have to play more attention when the season starts or in practice games.

But Shaz hasn't been playing which is what I don't get.

Not having a go at him, just really haven't paid much attention to him, not even the VFL games I have been to.

Will have to play more attention when the season starts or in practice games.

I don't know much about him either, but it sounds like he's being groomed for defensive role who's strong in the air.

With Roughy, Moore, Howe and Langdon ahead of him in the queue, plus Shaz, I suspect he will need either injuries or a positional change to play regular seniors in 2020.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back