Player Watch Nathan Murphy

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
There's a bit to like, but athleticism is going to be a big issue. Just seems like another one in our long line of likeable NQRs who doesn't really fit any role, so we pop them on a wing.
I am in complete disagreement with this assessment, and think it's based off of vision of someone who hasn't played for 800 odd days or something. He's fast for his height and takes the game on with or without the footy. Two traits we sorely lack

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I am in complete disagreement with this assessment, and think it's based off of vision of someone who hasn't played for 800 odd days or something. He's fast for his height and takes the game on with or without the footy. Two traits we sorely lack

It’s beginning to irritate me. The blokes not slow and he’s got fantastic closing speed. It seems to be one of those myths that’s just grown over the course of his absence.

I haven't seen enough and I hope you're right but he looks slow with a big turning circle from the brief footage I've seen - plus the fact that we've moved him from defence to the wing is a sign as it's what we do with the NQRS.

Matrix10

Club Legend
Apr 15, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I haven't seen enough and I hope you're right but he looks slow with a big turning circle from the brief footage I've seen - plus the fact that we've moved him from defence to the wing is a sign as it's what we do with the NQRS.

The fact that he has been moved to the wing is because we have his size covered in defence , I think he is on an upward trajectory, he has not played much football whilst with us due to injury, missed a lot of football, if he can get his body right and stay healthy , he will get continuity in his game and will show us what he is made of, and I believe he is made of the right stuff from the limited window of opportunity we have seen

Aug 3, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Liverpool
It’s beginning to irritate me. The blokes not slow and he’s got fantastic closing speed. It seems to be one of those myths that’s just grown over the course of his absence.
Yeah, it's almost as if people expect him to be slow because of how he looks. He's a pretty useful athlete. As you mention, has good closing speed and has a good vertical leap from all I've seen. Courageous to boot. Think he's a lock in the side as long as he's healthy

The fact that he has been moved to the wing is because we have his size covered in defence , I think he is on an upward trajectory, he has not played much football whilst with us due to injury, missed a lot of football, if he can get his body right and stay healthy , he will get continuity in his game and will show us what he is made of, and I believe he is made of the right stuff from the limited window of opportunity we have seen

We don't really have his size covered in defence anymore. Now that Langdon and Shaz are gone, Howe's the only intercepting third tall on the list (unless Keane can play the role).

I hope you're right on him becoming a player, as he's very likeable, because he's just so ridiculously courageous. The most reckless I've seen since Mark Harvey many years ago - but I think that willingness to throw himself at balls he probably shouldn't is being mistaken for closing speed. Looks like a loper with a big turning circle to me.

Have to agree, looked slow to turn but I’m hoping it’s just rustiness in his first AFL grade hit out in two and a half years rather than an actual lack of agility.

Really hope he makes it, very positive signs on Sunday on an otherwise dark day

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
There's a bit to like, but athleticism is going to be a big issue. Just seems like another one in our long line of likeable NQRs who doesn't really fit any role, so we pop them on a wing.
I hope he gets moved to the backline quickly

pietoon

Senior List
Aug 1, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s almost reckless the way he leaves himself open.
I just hope his body is compatible with his style and his attack on the ball, in the air and on the ground.

If he stays fit we will have many years hopefully of a courageous player that won’t think twice when it’s his time to go, or to put his head over the ball when needed....

Although he didn’t show it last game, but I rate his flat trajectory kicking and think he should be persevered with

mike123

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Pokemon is Life
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Juventus
His straight line speed is fine he just doesn’t look nimble enough to play on the wing.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood

Like Daicos?

Perhaps it's more about trying to make the most of what we've got rather than hiding these apparent NQR's. Seems to be a position that we've struggled to find the right person to fill for some time. I like that we've recruited Poulter as he shows the traits of great wingmen of the past. His time will come. We've also experimented with just about everyone else on the list through the VFL including Tyler Brown, Wilson, and Tohill types.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
We don't really have his size covered in defence anymore. Now that Langdon and Shaz are gone, Howe's the only intercepting third tall on the list (unless Keane can play the role).

I hope you're right on him becoming a player, as he's very likeable, because he's just so ridiculously courageous. The most reckless I've seen since Mark Harvey many years ago - but I think that willingness to throw himself at balls he probably shouldn't is being mistaken for closing speed. Looks like a loper with a big turning circle to me.

Has a bit of the Shane Morwoods about him. I like the kid and think he'll settle very nicely if he can stay on the park.

In terms of alternatives, Tohill and Wilson are playing in defence at VFL level, McInnes played there a lot through his junior footy, Ruscoe has also played there. Tyler Brown started there in his 1st year of VFL. Madge preferred for that 3rd tall role at the moment but lacks the same capacity to play on big's and small's as required like Langdon and Howe do.

Has a bit of the Shane Morwoods about him. I like the kid and think he'll settle very nicely if he can stay on the park.

In terms of alternatives, Tohill and Wilson are playing in defence at VFL level, McInnes played there a lot through his junior footy, Ruscoe has also played there. Tyler Brown started there in his 1st year of VFL. Madge preferred for that 3rd tall role at the moment but lacks the same capacity to play on big's and small's as required like Langdon and Howe do.

I'd forgotten about Wilson - I suppose he's the one who is being developed as a third tall interceptor. Madgen doesn't really fit the bill as he hasn't really shown he can mark.

Like Daicos?

Perhaps it's more about trying to make the most of what we've got rather than hiding these apparent NQR's. Seems to be a position that we've struggled to find the right person to fill for some time. I like that we've recruited Poulter as he shows the traits of great wingmen of the past. His time will come. We've also experimented with just about everyone else on the list through the VFL including Tyler Brown, Wilson, and Tohill types.
The wing is the easiest position to play in our team as defensively they're only accountable for space and get relatively easier possessions in the role. So we often put battlers out there. We have a heap of blokes who could play it to a good standard - Sidebottom, Crisp, Maynard, Quaynor, Daicos. But if they've shown they are good enough for another position - ala Daicos - they're off the wing quick smart. How we used Daicos last year is how we should be using the wing in a development year where we need some mids to come through quickly, rather than using it for NQRights like Madgen, Mayne, Murphy, T Brown - we should be using it for NQReadies who are cutting their teeth. I'd like us to use guys like Macrae and Rantall out there, or Henry.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd forgotten about Wilson - I suppose he's the one who is being developed as a third tall interceptor. Madgen doesn't really fit the bill as he hasn't really shown he can mark.

The wing is the easiest position to play in our team as defensively they're only accountable for space and get relatively easier possessions in the role. So we often put battlers out there. We have a heap of blokes who could play it to a good standard - Sidebottom, Crisp, Maynard, Quaynor, Daicos. But if they've shown they are good enough for another position - ala Daicos - they're off the wing quick smart. How we used Daicos last year is how we should be using the wing in a development year where we need some mids to come through quickly, rather than using it for NQRights like Madgen, Mayne, Murphy, T Brown - we should be using it for NQReadies who are cutting their teeth. I'd like us to use guys like Macrae and Rantall out there, or Henry.

Madge is actually a very good mark for his size. I just don't think he gets the same license to leave his man and intercept as guys like Howe and Langdon have had.

Not sure the wing is all that easy to play in any team let alone ours. Managing that bridge between inside and outside, and the running involved make it anything but.

Madge has had 1 full game on a wing. Managed 25 disposals, 3 marks, 5 I50's, 4 R50's and a goal so I'm thinking you've gone way too early on the not quite right. Also think Murphy and Tyler Brown don't have enough exposed form to classify either way.

Likewise Tyler Brown. I think he's ideally suited to a role in the guts but I think he certainly has the traits to be a very good wingman. Just hasn't had a lot of exposure to the role.

I want Macrae and Rantall in the guts, not on a wing. I don't think either of them (from limited viewing) have the marking capacity I like in my wingmen.

Henry needs to establish himself forward of the footy before we start screwing with his head.

Not sure the wing is all that easy to play in any team let alone ours. Managing that bridge between inside and outside, and the running involved make it anything but.

Madge has had 1 full game on a wing. Managed 25 disposals, 3 marks, 5 I50's, 4 R50's and a goal so I'm thinking you've gone way too early on the not quite right. Also think Murphy and Tyler Brown don't have enough exposed form to classify either way.

Likewise Tyler Brown. I think he's ideally suited to a role in the guts but I think he certainly has the traits to be a very good wingman. Just hasn't had a lot of exposure to the role.

I want Macrae and Rantall in the guts, not on a wing. I don't think either of them (from limited viewing) have the marking capacity I like in my wingmen.

Henry needs to establish himself forward of the footy before we start screwing with his head.

If we're after good wingman, we'd just play Sidey, Crisp and Daicos there. But in our team, it's a position for role players who are smart runners - which is the way to go if we're in contention, but at the moment, I'd use it as a position for development of young mids.

The standard way of bringing on a young mid is:

1. Let them show that they are good mids at VFL or practice match level - I don't think Tyler has actually done that yet.
2. Give them a less demanding role in the AFL team, eg. wing, high half forward, or half back. Occasional stints in the guts
3. When they are cutting it in the less demanding role and show they belong at AFL level - put them in the guts.

Wing in our team is easier in terms of skillset, but it does require smart running - which is why Mayne has been preferred. We'll go backwards defensively with kids with unreliable running patterns rather than the blokes we're currently playing there, but it's the best place for getting a young mid involved in the game. Our forward flanks are a graveyard and on the wing they don't have to be individually accountable for an opponent like on the back flank. Pop them there and get them working on running the ground and getting involved in some linking chains.

jackcass

Cancelled
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
If we're after good wingman, we'd just play Sidey, Crisp and Daicos there. But in our team, it's a position for role players who are smart runners - which is the way to go if we're in contention, but at the moment, I'd use it as a position for development of young mids.

The standard way of bringing on a young mid is:

1. Let them show that they are good mids at VFL or practice match level - I don't think Tyler has actually done that yet.
2. Give them a less demanding role in the AFL team, eg. wing, high half forward, or half back. Occasional stints in the guts
3. When they are cutting it in the less demanding role and show they belong at AFL level - put them in the guts.

Wing in our team is easier in terms of skillset, but it does require smart running - which is why Mayne has been preferred. We'll go backwards defensively with kids with unreliable running patterns rather than the blokes we're currently playing there, but it's the best place for getting a young mid involved in the game. Our forward flanks are a graveyard and on the wing they don't have to be individually accountable for an opponent like on the back flank. Pop them there and get them working on running the ground and getting involved in some linking chains.

This is fast becoming a pretty circular and pointless discussion. I agree Sidey, Pendles and Crispy would be good in the role. But they're better use to the team where they are so you're robbing Peter to pay Paul. Let's just agree to disagree.

DWil6

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 13, 2007
Rowville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Premier League
Actually shocked me at how quick this guy was. Remember hjs first few games and wasn’t anything there to get overly excited about but he seemed fast and brave on the weekend. Admittedly, he was young when he played his first games.

JLC

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 4, 2001
house
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool NY Yankees

Agree, hence our list is not really balanced.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
He is definitely worth playing but needs to put a V8 inside him.
murphh.PNG

Reckon Darce has given him the tick of approval. LOL

Back