Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired)

Remove this Banner Ad

How? He had a lot of knockers early on, his disposal and decision making was really poor at times and once he found his role he flourished.

This after his seventh game, which won him the Rising Star nomination against Carltank:

Langdon’s subsequent performances have proven sufficient reward for Collingwood’s show of faith, ranking eighth overall in the competition for intercept marks, and twelfth for rebound 50s.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/vi...dal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1399282932001

Definitely worth trying him forward. As another poster said, it was an almost game where he had some great chances at big contested marks and just didnt hold it enough.

But generally has a good leap and hands so I want to see whether he could have a breakout game forward. We have enough defenders ATM (e.g. Keane/Kelly) that we need to give chances to.

Murphy was also talked about for RS a few weeks ago too, I still maintain Langdon was far from solid in his first few years, was dropped on numerous occasions and took a while to develop.

Murphy’s had some good moments but has never been entrenched in the side and we’re still not sure what his best position is, whereas as quoted, Langdon was building a resumé and having a marked impact right from his first game. Whether you had question marks on his ability is beside the point. He came in and instantly looked acclimated to the AFL game speed, and was helping us win games as a 19yo.

Murphy’s had some good moments but has never been entrenched in the side and we’re still not sure what his best position is, whereas as quoted, Langdon was building a resumé and having a marked impact right from his first game. Whether you had question marks on his ability is beside the point. He came in and instantly looked acclimated to the AFL game speed, and was helping us win games as a 19yo.

Yep, Murphy will be 22 this year, not really a kid anymore, best case scenario he becomes an okay role player, Langdon was bordering AA at his best.

Yep, Murphy will be 22 this year, not really a kid anymore, best case scenario he becomes an okay role player, Langdon was bordering AA at his best.
From the time he was drafted, Murphy has mostly been injured. I believe he would have had an impact at a younger age given the opportunity.

"Been on the list for some time"

Yeah injured and unlucky.

He can play wing, he can play defence and he played CHF. He gave contests yesterday and brought the ball down.

Important role. He's a player that just needs more exposure and you'll see how talented he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lets get 50 games into him and then judge, he doesn't look hopeless and could be one of those guys to flourish with experience, reminds me a bit of Tom Langdon, Tommy was hardly a good player in his first couple of years but worked his way into a pretty decent player, Murphy could be the same.

I think once he gets some experience and finds a permanent role he will be alright.
Tom Langdon was a gun from his first game. His debut was an absolutely excellent game vs. Freo.

Murphy was also talked about for RS a few weeks ago too, I still maintain Langdon was far from solid in his first few years, was dropped on numerous occasions and took a while to develop.
This just isn’t true at all. He has been dropped ONCE in his career - in his first year. He then missed time with injury in his second year, came back through the reserves. Got back into the senior side, and was never left out of it since then.

How? He had a lot of knockers early on, his disposal and decision making was really poor at times and once he found his role he flourished.

Played 41 of a possible 44 games in his 1st 2 years and always looked very solid. His "knockers" were just wrong.

Murphy reminds me a bit of Goldsack with more run, but without the same pace. Courageous, hard, desperate, but not cleanest aerially or by foot.

Have nothing against him and I'm happy to see him play out the year to see if he's worth persisting with, but he's far from remarkable and gets a little bit too much love on here. Correct that he's on par with Madgen who is mercilessly plowed into; granted there's a substantial age gap between the two but Murph doesn't really display any traits that suggest he'll blossom and become a star with patience. Serviceable depth player in my eyes, and I wouldn't be against trading him for another depth player from another club.

Has absolutely nothing on Langdon either by the way - Langers finished 6th in our B&F in his second season as opposed to Murphy who isn't yet best 22 in his fourth season. Langdon had speed and agility to play on small forwards, and was tall and strong enough to play tall too. Perfect medium defender that every coach would have loved to have had in his side.

Have nothing against him and I'm happy to see him play out the year to see if he's worth persisting with, but he's far from remarkable and gets a little bit too much love on here. Correct that he's on par with Madgen who is mercilessly plowed into; granted there's a substantial age gap between the two but Murph doesn't really display any traits that suggest he'll blossom and become a star with patience. Serviceable depth player in my eyes, and I wouldn't be against trading him for another depth player from another club.

Has absolutely nothing on Langdon either by the way - Langers finished 6th in our B&F in his second season as opposed to Murphy who isn't yet best 22 in his fourth season. Langdon had speed and agility to play on small forwards, and was tall and strong enough to play tall too. Perfect medium defender that every coach would have loved to have had in his side.
I know it's not fair on Murphy to compare him to Langers, but Langers was 21 in 2015 when he started to blossom - same age as Murph now. Murphy started younger but has been plagued by a bevy of injuries early on, unlike Langers.

I don't think he'll ever be a match-winner, but a nice workman kind of player. Alan Toovey-esque. Doesn't gather it a lot but reliable.

I know it's not fair on Murphy to compare him to Langers, but Langers was 21 in 2015 when he started to blossom - same age as Murph now. Murphy started younger but has been plagued by a bevy of injuries early on, unlike Langers.

I don't think he'll ever be a match-winner, but a nice workman kind of player. Alan Toovey-esque. Doesn't gather it a lot but reliable.

I think it's hard to judge Murphy when he was recruited as an underager 17 year old. We always knew he would take time (just like McMahon now) so wouldn't have much impact in his first year in 2018. Then injuries in 2019 and Covid last year with no VFL meant that he never got a chance to come into the side (he did win best "VFL" player last year).

He's courageous, has a long reach that lets him compete taller than he is aerially and has a nice long kick. He's showing some strong glimpses and moments where you go "wow". So he definitely has weapons. Just needs more experience so he can develop consistency and be able to impact for the whole game. I would love to see whether he could develop into a long leading 3rd tall that leads out to the wings and gives us that target kicking out from behind. Similar in playing style to Tom Lynch from Adelaide when he was in his prime.

Langdon definitely came in and had an immediate impact - he cemented his spot on the list very early on.

Funny how players get better after they are retired, Langdon was a perennial whipping boy on here, until his breakthrough he was an average player.

I still think he was bit Overrated by Pies Fans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back