Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

I am another who is concerned about his speed. Can't see him replacing Madgen who played on McAdam much of tonight.
Not sure how you’re worried about Murphy’s speed but not Madgen’s?

I said the same thing ap couple of weeks ago. I was assured hs isn't, but every time I watch him, my assurance disappears.

I watch him and Madgen and I don't understand why one is praised and the other vilified. They're on par in my eyes.
Murphy is a better kick, better decision maker has stronger hands and reads the play better.

Definitely worth trying him forward. As another poster said, it was an almost game where he had some great chances at big contested marks and just didnt hold it enough.

But generally has a good leap and hands so I want to see whether he could have a breakout game forward. We have enough defenders ATM (e.g. Keane/Kelly) that we need to give chances to.
Given his lack of height and elite pace I think he’s always going to be an almost player up forward.

He might become a dependable role player but not as a forward. Not powerful or fast enough to get separation in that role IMO. Zone off hb or defensive wing in the Chris Mayne style is where he will fit if he makes it permanently.

Given his lack of height and elite pace I think he’s always going to be an almost player up forward.

At 190cm he's 1-2cm shorter than Lynch but has massive wingspan that lets him reach for marks much higher. Doesn't need elite pace if he can build on his endurance and make long leads up and down the wings. Not like Nick Riewoldt had elite pace.

Not sure how you’re worried about Murphy’s speed but not Madgen’s?
I think Madgen is more capable of playing on smaller players than Murphy. I am no Madgen fan, but he looks to have more pace than Murphy. I would be persevering with Murphy up forward, otherwise it's difficult to see a ready made position for him. Don't forget that Scharenberg was considered too slow to play a role in defence.

Last edited:
Funny how players get better after they are retired, Langdon was a perennial whipping boy on here, until his breakthrough he was an average player.
Are you trying to tell me I used to treat Langdon as a whipping boy? Once again, completely false claim from you. I have supported and defended Langdon on these boards his whole career.

Hahaha wow what a shock… a player is average until he breaks out… what thoughtful analysis that is.

I think Madgen is more capable of playing on smaller players than Murphy. I am no Madgen fan, but he looks to have more pace than Murphy. I would be persevering with Murphy up forward, otherwise it's difficult to see a ready made position for him. Don't forget that Scharenberg was considered too slow to play a role in defence.
Nick Reiwoldt had elite pace.

I think he ran 2.92 for his 20m time.

Langdon, Tommy was hardly a good player in his first couple of years but worked his way into a pretty decent player, Murphy could be the same.

Didn’t Tom Langdon calmly and confidently turn Hayden Balyntine inside out on the last line of defence in his debut game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have nothing against him and I'm happy to see him play out the year to see if he's worth persisting with, but he's far from remarkable and gets a little bit too much love on here.

Be that as it may ...

... there’d be at least a dozen players on our list who are currently more likely to be in the gun.

At 190cm he's 1-2cm shorter than Lynch but has massive wingspan that lets him reach for marks much higher. Doesn't need elite pace if he can build on his endurance and make long leads up and down the wings. Not like Nick Riewoldt had elite pace.
Nick’s pace would have been fairly close to elite for his size, he played in an era where players were slightly shorter and was also 3cms taller than Murphy.

You might have a point on Lynch though but even then Lynch is still taller.

Madgen played on an average small forward and even then he scored 2 goals. He’s not good enough at it for it to be relevant factor. Scharenberg was thoroughly cooked though, Murphy still has some spring.

Lets get 50 games into him and then judge, he doesn't look hopeless and could be one of those guys to flourish with experience, reminds me a bit of Tom Langdon, Tommy was hardly a good player in his first couple of years but worked his way into a pretty decent player, Murphy could be the same.

I think once he gets some experience and finds a permanent role he will be alright.
Tom Langdon who played 41 games in his 1st 2 season, was a rising star nom and named in AA under 22 side both seasons. That Tom Langdon ?

Funny how players get better after they are retired, Langdon was a perennial whipping boy on here, until his breakthrough he was an average player.

Langdon and Tooves, like BJ before them, got early criticism, but there was always a few who rated them from day dot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back