Opinion Nathan Van Berlo: Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

It's easy to label this as a boy's club appointment, but he was part of a premiership winning team and actually seems competent as his job. It's only boys club if they're hired on nepotism over ability. VB is more the latter. I don't mind this appointment at all.
Plenty of clubs also have former players who are assistant coaches, the problem with the Hart appointment is that he was sacked by the Pies and then picked up by us. VB has always had elite standards and has played and now coached alongside some of the best midfielders over the last 20 years.

Why not? The only player he would have a connection with through the midfield is Sloaney
The worry is that he's from Neil's "can you imagine what we'd look like without them?" school of beloved oldies.

We'll see.

People say this but it isn't true.

GWS have a great bunch of mids and their midfield was spanked all year.

Also people say "go away from the club, learn a successful system and then come back"...and when it happens they way they ask..."sh*t appointment, boys club"
I was thinking the same thing, people get so obsessed with the 'Boys Club' thing that they assume any ex crow is going to be a terrible coach. Lets give him a chance before we write him off...

The worry is that he's from Neil's "can you imagine what we'd look like without them?" school of beloved oldies.

We'll see.
Why is that your prevailing line of thought ?? He wouldn't have taken the job based on continuity

The club hasn't announced anything. And no matter what nuffys here think, whoever the club appoints as Chairman or asst coach, they'll be excited to be doing it.

This is not announcing a drink driving charge.

Yes. It's very interesting that this announcement appears on the AFL site, but not the AFC site, despite the fact that the former controls the latter.
Is someone running an agenda here? Maybe, the AFL is trying to destabilise the WC finals push. ;)

Yes. It's very interesting that this announcement appears on the AFL site, but not the AFC site, despite the fact that the former controls the latter.
Is someone running an agenda here? Maybe, the AFL is trying to destabilise the WC finals push. ;)
maybe AFC media team more focussed on the b&f tonight? remember off field roles have been gutted....

We'll see.
The only senior player I think will start to see less midfield minutes is Sloaney. I’m happy for Laird and Matt (and Brad if he stays) to still be leading the midfield with Jones, McHenry, Schoenberg and pick 1 rolling through for at least 30-40% of the game.

Would people be as accepting of bringing Scott Thompson back?

He's been out of our system the exact same amount of time as VB
Thompson has been in a shithouse (until this year) club and has now been sacked. Plus in a more junior role than VB

Van Berlo has been in a key role at a perennial finalist and premiership winner

The only senior player I think will start to see less midfield minutes is Sloaney. I’m happy for Laird and Matt (and Brad if he stays) to still be leading the midfield with Jones, McHenry, Schoenberg and pick 1 rolling through for at least 30-40% of the game.
I wonder if we'll have Mackay on the wing?

don’t think mchenry will get many midfield minutes. i just want to see 12 tackles a week from him - 6 of those in F50. every week. and i don’t mind him being a pest either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was thinking the same thing, people get so obsessed with the 'Boys Club' thing that they assume any ex crow is going to be a terrible coach. Lets give him a chance before we write him off...
We are pinching an ex Crow from a successful program... unlike previously when we took an ex Crow from an unsuccessful system... then promoted him til he destroyed our club.

Why is that your prevailing line of thought ?? He wouldn't have taken the job based on continuity
That's ridiculous. Neil became coach

We'll see with VB. He himself had games invested in him as a rookie on one hand. And he was also given too many games as a senior player once injuries had added up/form had waned.

So he's seen both extremes.

I know some wont be happy but I'm ok with this.

Overall I like the panel being put together as now we've got Burns whose been in numerous systems (West Coast, Collingwood & Hawthorn), Van Berlo who was with West Coast (more recently than Burns) when they've won a flag - even if he wasn't the soul mid coach. Of course then there's Nicks who spent time recently at Port & GWS.

Point I'm making is we're now getting a bit of coaching experience from those who have been at numerous different clubs. Fingers crossed for one more who brings something a bit different again & hopefully they all gel well together & with the playing group.

don’t think mchenry will get many midfield minutes. i just want to see 12 tackles a week from him - 6 of those in F50. every week. and i don’t mind him being a pest either
12 tackles per week would have him as the best tackler in AFL history for a season, might want to temper those expectations!

That's ridiculous. Neil became coach

We'll see with VB. He himself had games invested in him as a rookie on one hand. And he was also given too many games as a senior player once injuries had added up/form had waned.

So he's seen both extremes.
I'm sure he knows the situation we've got ourselves in, he also dropped himself back to the SANFL when Pyke wanted to keep him.

Our midfield ticked over pretty well in those years.

I think he'll do a good job, and he will certainly demand respect from the playing group.

I'm very keen to see who the forwards coach will be, and if they are still involved in the finals.
Forwards coach will be the key imo. Functioning forward line that converts entries reliably makes us so much better.

Don't mind it, would've learnt a lot in his 3 years over there.

But can certainly understand the detractors that will come.

I'm 50:50, will understand both points of view. He's done something outside the club, but they're not exactly world beaters the last couple of years. He's a definite improvement on what we had, so that's a plus. But I would like to put Neil Craig completely behind us. That said, he'll be the only Neil influence, so I'm not too worried about him being the one. And if it keeps Thommo away from the club, all the better.

Forwards coach will be the key imo. Functioning forward line that converts entries reliably makes us so much better.
Agreed.

Later in the season we got the pill in there enough but made it hard for ourselves. Was part structure, part woeful finishing

Would people be as accepting of bringing Scott Thompson back?

He's been out of our system the exact same amount of time as VB
Nope.

He never worked as a coach with Craigy or anyone who is influenced by the coaching ethos of the mid 2000s. Primarily Roos, Craigy and Worsfold. This style does not hold up in the modern game.
Goodwin has failed as a coach, I reckon Rutten will too as they are influenced by NC/Roos/Worsfold.
For the same reason I won't be that excited if we get Bassett.

Suggesting NVB is still influenced by Craigy suggests he has not learnt anything as a coach under Simpson and working with Sam Mitchell. In three years I am sure that is not the case.

If is about time we started drawing from the "Clarko" well with Burns and NVB being appointed. The last ten years says that is where the majority Premierships come from.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back