Opinion Nathan Van Berlo: Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

So do we still think Nicks is choosing these blokes? 😂

Roo shaped fingerprints all over

Pyke felt there was still a place for him in the side, VB said "nah mate I'm done"

Yeah I hadn't heard that and those articles don't say that unless I've misread them

So do we still think Nicks is choosing these blokes? 😂

Roo ain't in charge of West Coast

If he simply copies good clubs that will be fine by me and a major upgrade on our decision making

Roo ain't in charge of West Coast

If he simply copies good clubs that will be fine by me and a major upgrade on our decision making
Don't really understand your first sentence.

He might be turning a corner. We shouldn't forget that he was actually the one that sacked Burton and Campo (albeit far too late and the damage was done).

He might be learning. If he gets Balme that will be a huge coup.

Nah you’re probably right...I’m sure it’s just coincidence that two of our Football Director’s business partners are locked away on long term contracts that are now universally regarded as poor for the club.
Don't seem to recall too many on here screaming about it at the time...hindsight is a wonderful thing..

Don't really understand your first sentence.
Roo loves VB and rates him. The same as he loved and rated Burton.

However VB was targeted by a strong club and was successful there.

Burton was unsuccessful at a hopeless club.

Roo's opinion by itself is meaningless. However if Roo's opinion happens to align with the opinion of a good club then hot diggity.

Nah you’re probably right...I’m sure it’s just coincidence that two of our Football Director’s business partners are locked away on long term contracts that are now universally regarded as poor for the club.

I mentioned this a long time ago and got criticized for wearing a tin foil hat.

But the truth hurts. Feathers were ruffled over a 5 year deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roo's opinion by itself is meaningless. However if Roo's opinion happens to align with the opinion of a good club then hot diggity.

Yeah, boys club critiques are a bit pointless if the person is capable of demanding the position on merit.

van Berlo has downgraded to come here.

What I will say is that I'm happy that for both appointments so far, neither of them will be doing the job for the first time.

I'm not sure Burns has been a defence coach at AFL level but he has done midfield and forwards (taking the defence job to round out his resume?), so the group experience rises.

VB has done the midfield job before, the expectations won't be new for him.

In a recent interview Godden said that it took him 12 months before he was up to speed and had the confidence to do the job at AFL level. His biggest regret was not speaking up and not contributing as much in that first year. That's not what we need right now and we certainly don't have the coaching group to carry somebody not up to it.

Ah ok. Yeah I agree with most of that. Key difference is probably that Burton was one of his best mates, which probably clouded his judgement.

But at the end of the day he was definitely the one that got Dunstall and Pav in and he followed up by sacking his good mate.

Now he's systematically rebuilding the football department. As much as it's popular to hate on Roo (I am not innocent in that space), we could be witnessing a slowly unfurling real life redemption arc.

Ah ok. Yeah I agree with most of that. Key difference is probably that Burton was one of his best mates, which probably clouded his judgement.

But at the end of the day he was definitely the one that got Dunstall and Pav in and he followed up by sacking his good mate.

Now he's systematically rebuilding the football department. As much as it's popular to hate on Roo (I am not innocent in that space), we could be witnessing a slowly unfurling real life redemption arc.

Probably giving old Roo slightly too much credit here.

So do we still think Nicks is choosing these blokes?

Mate you are the ultimate Drama Queen

Roos fingerprints are on all our football decisions

Selection of Nicks
Selection of Burns
Selection of VB

Selection of Balme if that happens

Selection of our final Asst Coach

Rightfully or wrongfully thats his Job to get involved in all football decisions however he is not doing this alone, or going rougue

Nicks, Kelly, Roo and Fagan are all involved and where it sits right now the combination of Nicks, Burns and VB is far better than what we had in 2020

People called for change, now they are seeing the broom go through the footy dept with new coaches come in from Big Clubs and these people still have a whinge

So forget for a moment VB is an ex AFC footballer, the experience he has gained from working with Simpson and Mitchell is highly valuable, notnto mention he has outstanding values around player work ethic and was smart enough when we offered him a role straight out of playing he decided to go elsewhere and get experience in another environment

So maybe instead of making a lazy boys club comment how about looking a bit deeper in what he actually brings and lets now judge him on how our midfield perform in 2021

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

What choice did Roo have after he told us to support another club? He gets no credit whatsoever for bringing in Dunstall and Pav, nor the subsequent sackings. The club would have had no members left had they not acted.

Good call, VB's professionalism can't be questioned, hopefully brings his elite fitness ethos to this young group
Only slight concern is that he is another of Roo's business partners....

Mate you are the ultimate Drama Queen

Roos fingerprints are on all our football decisions

Selection of Nicks
Selection of Burns
Selection of VB

Selection of Balme if that happens

Selection of our final Asst Coach

Rightfully or wrongfully thats his Job to get involved in all football decisions however he is not doing this alone, or going rougue

Nicks, Kelly, Roo and Fagan are all involved and where it sits right now the combination of Nicks, Burns and VB is far better than what we had in 2020

People called for change, now they are seeing the broom go through the footy dept with new coaches come in from Big Clubs and these people still have a whinge

So forget for a moment VB is an ex AFC footballer, the experience he has gained from working with Simpson and Mitchell is highly valuable, notnto mention he has outstanding values around player work ethic and was smart enough when we offered him a role straight out of playing he decided to go elsewhere and get experience in another environment

So maybe instead of making a lazy boys club comment how about looking a bit deeper in what he actually brings and lets now judge him on how our midfield perform in 2021

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Lol this is such an incoherent post. I'm certainly not having a whinge. I'm just pointing out that the 'Nicks is bringing in his own group' narrative from yesterday is more than likely misplaced. It all points to Roo.

Probably some good advice from Kelly and Nicks about who to sack, but the new appointments bleed Roo.

Nicks was asked explicitly today on SEN if he chose Burns. He said something like "Aw look I've been fortunate to cross paths with Scotty a couple of times" and then waffled off on some tangent. He's actuality very good at not answering questions if you pay attention.

I think you're having a bit of a drama fest going off half cocked thinking I'm criticising VB as a boys club appointment, but if you could be a bit less emotional and actually read, I haven't said that at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back