Opinion Nathan Van Berlo: Midfield Coach

Remove this Banner Ad

my assumption is he knew already he was being flicked by WC at year end with the cuts. otherwise why would he leave home and WC?
Why is Perth home? He spent his entire adult life in Adelaide.

Why would you for a second think he's being flicked?

Maybe he just wanted to come here to work with a young team.

Is Lepppitch worth looking at as a forwards coach? I assume he has another gig lined up as he’s leaving Richmond
He's leaving the footy industry.

well that’s my assumption otherwise I cannot see why he would do this. when we see who WC appoint as mids coach next year we will really see. i was initially against it but given he will know sloane, laird, crouch already maybe it is better than a new guy that needs to build a relationship

Given the way Nicks is talking, it's a prerequisite of his panel to have outside IP. I would expect the forwardline coach to be from outside the club.

Not sure how many more appointments we'll make coaching wise, I suspect it'll be 1 or 2 tops and go with the traditional setup. Other areas of our footy department need beefing up too.

Spot on. We have bought in IP from West Coast, Hawks/Pies and with the other rumours likely Port and Richmond plus Gws with Nicks
Good exposure across the league in teams recently or currently successful
Just because some have links to the club in the past is not necessarily a bad thing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

There’s a lot worse guys to learn from than Neil Craig. A very good coach was Craig. Not many coaches I can think of that got closer to a premiership with a forward line as average as ours was during his tenure.
And if it wasn't for a drugged up West Coast, would have be a premiership coach.

Ah right, that’s interesting. Is that code for not being offered a contract for next season?
I think the family has been talking about it for a while.

well that’s my assumption otherwise I cannot see why he would do this. when we see who WC appoint as mids coach next year we will really see. i was initially against it but given he will know sloane, laird, crouch already maybe it is better than a new guy that needs to build a relationship
There's a lot of folks who have lost jobs recently. I quite like that we're bringing in people who were amongst those still being employed by their clubs.

There’s a lot worse guys to learn from than Neil Craig. A very good coach was Craig. Not many coaches I can think of that got closer to a premiership with a forward line as average as ours was during his tenure.
craigs way was fitness. and more fitness.

by the time finals rolled around each year the players were cooked.

craig has no real game plan and certainly was useless on match day when things went bad.

There's a lot of folks who have lost jobs recently. I quite like that we're bringing in people who were amongst those still being employed by their clubs.
that’s fair and i’m sure VB will have a second fiddle not just mids

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Roos and John Worsfold won Premierships. Similar methods to Craigy.

But their style and the coaches they have influenced is now not the way to win Premierships in the modern game.

All three were great for their time, mid 2000s. But Clarkson changed the game and their styles are now redundant.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

We'll see.

Our midfield is not West Coast's midfield. It's younger and requires a significant retooling. I don't think he's a terrible appointment as far as 'boys club' goes but I'd have rather a more experienced coach deal with our young group
I'm not overly concerned about this. Kelly mentioned the focus is on hiring people with a talent for developing younger players. The club must rate Van Berlo's ability to communicate with inexperienced players or I doubt he gets considered for the role.

And his wife Jess is an Adelaide girl with her family in SA.

And his wife Jess is an Adelaide girl with her family in SA.
aha admit i didn’t know that. i’m in covidville and don’t get that kind of info.

here’s another thought, if a kelly has said the most important job of VB will be development of a young midfield group wouldnt that suggest we are going to hit this draft hard for A grade midfielders? surely sloane, crouches, laird don’t need tok much development.

it’s unclear if they see jones and mchenry as forwards or mids - they must be referring to new players

just a thought

aha admit i didn’t know that. i’m in covidville and don’t get that kind of info.

here’s another thought, if a kelly has said the most important job of VB will be development of a young midfield group wouldnt that suggest we are going to hit this draft hard for A grade midfielders? surely sloane, crouches, laird don’t need tok much development.

it’s unclear if they see jones and mchenry as forwards or mids - they must be referring to new players

just a thought
It's not all about the current or future mids, it will be systems/transition and set ups and I'm very confident NvB will be a great asset in that regard.

Sam Mitchell returns from WC to Hawthorn, supporters embrace it and welcome him back

VB returns from WC to Adelaide, supporters go straight into negative mode.

As supporters we know them as players but we dont know them as coaches it is here it is almost impossible to assess the impact of an asst coach unless your in the inner sanctum

Im ok in principle with the appointment of VB and lets see what he brings

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hmmmm, comparing Hawks v Crows supporters reaction.

Do you think it night have a little bit to do with both clubs decision making/ appointments/ personel over the last 10 years?

Can't you see why the club who has cocked up so much lately would be viewed with scepticism "here we go again, another one of Roos mates"

Hmmmm, comparing Hawks v Crows supporters reaction.

Do you think it night have a little bit to do with both clubs decision making/ appointments/ personel over the last 10 years?

Can't you see why the club who has cocked up so much lately would be viewed with scepticism "here we go again, another one of Roos mates"

Yeah, look- I agree that we should in no way be compared to the Hawks.

But the important thing for appointments is that we approach them based upon merit. We shouldn't exclude good candidates for knowing Roo any more than we should hire bad ones for the same reason. Recuse the person with the conflict, and deal with the substance.

craigs way was fitness. and more fitness.

by the time finals rolled around each year the players were cooked.

craig has no real game plan and certainly was useless on match day when things went bad.
A bit of fitness would help us

The contracts going sour was by no means inevitable and that’s not even the main point. The fact is that the intertwining of relationships - football and business - between players and club officials created a conflict of interest then which remains there now...that’s not hindsight.

Good organisations avoid such conflicts and this was easily avoidable...if Chapman should have brought one thing from his business career it was good governance.
I think it's fairly obvious that most (if not all) clubs use external business incentives as a player retention tool.
Your point has some merit though. Perhaps we just need to find business opportunities that aren't directly related to board members.

BTW Roo isn't the only one. Talia recently spoke of his friendship with Bob Forde and their business dealings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back