Traded Nathan Vardy [traded to West Coast for pick 72]

Remove this Banner Ad

We will run at 38 next season. The tight cap space indicates no change in the status quo.
So 4 spots open. Vardy out so Clark may get another year. Tuohy in.
Touhy only comes in whilst losing a higher draft pick and possibly Smedts as well though. So it kinds of even itself out or makes a lower pick even more appealing if we do that trade. We may go 2 short though. Is clark really a chance to stay?

Touhy only comes in whilst losing a higher draft pick and possibly Smedts as well though. So it kinds of even itself out or makes a lower pick even more appealing if we do that trade. We may go 2 short though. Is clark really a chance to stay?

Why not? Vardy, Lucey, Read and Kersten out. Only him and Buzza in reserve. He's worth a year on minimum wage.

Geelong have always accommodated fringe players looking elsewhere....and if we wanted to do some faux-macho posturing, I doubt we'd bother over Nathan friggin Vardy!

He could be a good pick up for WCE if he can get on the park. Allows Darling to play as the third tall forward, which at his size he's probably more suited to. Plus another pinch-hit backup for the ruck.

Vardy fills a need for us in that we want a forward ruck as opposed to a ruck.

It means Giles goes back to the magoos, Lycett assumes the number 1 mantle and Vardy/McInnes compete for the secondary role. Knowing their bodies - they probably make half a season between them

I would imagine we go after an early 20s second tier ruck (as we did with Sinclair) in the rookie draft

Luck for Vardy then that the actual Geelong list managers aren't angst-ridden teenagers.
Teenager. I wish.

What does it matter? If we're getting a pick we won't use. Make him wait.

Teenager. I wish.

What does it matter? If we're getting a pick we won't use. Make him wait.
I'm yet to hear you come up with a decent reason why the football club would want to do this.
Why be pricks to somebody for no reason whatsoever? He has done nothing wrong by GFC

Well done both clubs. Eagles got a steal (albeit a very injury prone one) and the cats ensured Vardy got where he wants.

A goodwill trade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has barely been able to get on the park for about 6 years. They could get a steal if he comes good, or else it's just another bog standard "token pick on list clogger" deal.

Need the back up with Naitanui gone and Lycett having a big injury cloud for Round 1.

Giles was decent but he isn't the most talented ruckman to have as first choice ruck.

If he's injury free then the trade is worth it, I'm sure the Eagles medicos have done their due diligence and decided it was worth a shot.

Need the back up with Naitanui gone and Lycett having a big injury cloud for Round 1.

Giles was decent but he isn't the most talented ruckman to have as first choice ruck.

If he's injury free then the trade is worth it, I'm sure the Eagles medicos have done their due diligence and decided it was worth a shot.

LOL. Wish you all the best with him and I hope he comes good, but he's injury free about 5% of the time.

LOL. Wish you all the best with him and I hope he comes good, but he's injury free about 5% of the time.

I like those chances. :$

Still better than Petrie or some other rake we'll take a chance on in the rookie draft. Otherwise say hi to Fraser McInnes. :drunk:

Might mean the medical staff will be really busy lol.

Good to get a ruckman/forward for a token pick that fills a need

Nathan VARDY

2016 VFL
4 games
Averages

• 4.5 kicks
  • 3.8 handballs
  • 8.3 disposals
  • 3.5 marks
  • 1.3 tackles
  • 6.3 hitouts
  • 2.0 inside 50s
  • 0.3 rebound 50s
  • 0.5 frees for
  • 0.3 frees against
  • 47.75 DT points

Totals
  • 3 goals
  • 3 behinds
2015 VFL
14 games
Averages

• 5.6 kicks
  • 3.0 handballs
  • 8.6 disposals
  • 3.4 marks
  • 2.6 tackles
  • 10.5 hitouts
  • 1.7 inside 50s
  • 0.1 rebound 50s
  • 0.9 frees for
  • 1.1 frees against
  • 55.57 DT points

Totals
  • 9 goals
  • 7 behinds
  • Named in best players list 1 time

Good for him but I didn't notice much of a contribution from Nathan, I saw him fly around a bit and not mark the ball - but he was recruited as a back up and did his bit.

How do Eagles fans see his overall time at the club?

Stoked with him for the outlay. Overall rapt to see the bloke actually play 32 games in two seasons but he's a depth ruck/forward who plays the odd good game. I'm under no illusions that we've unearthed a superstar ruck or magically fixed all his injury problems.

Wasn't in the votes on the weekend but did well tag teaming with Lycett to keep Grundy out of the game. Grundy got nearly twice as many hitouts as the other two combined but was pretty anonymous. Vardy also kicked an important goal in the last quarter and was part of the chain in the game winning play. He's a WC premiership winner now even if he'll never be in our top 50 or 100 players.

Good for him but I didn't notice much of a contribution from Nathan, I saw him fly around a bit and not mark the ball - but he was recruited as a back up and did his bit.

How do Eagles fans see his overall time at the club?
You didn't notice his last qtr contested mark and goal? What about his mark from the McGovern kick to kick to Ryan? Or you see what you want to I guess

Stoked with him for the outlay. Overall rapt to see the bloke actually play 32 games in two seasons but he's a depth ruck/forward who plays the odd good game. I'm under no illusions that we've unearthed a superstar ruck or magically fixed all his injury problems.

Wasn't in the votes on the weekend but did well tag teaming with Lycett to keep Grundy out of the game. Grundy got nearly twice as many hitouts as the other two combined but was pretty anonymous. Vardy also kicked an important goal in the last quarter and was part of the chain in the game winning play. He's a WC premiership winner now even if he'll never be in our top 50 or 100 players.

32 games in two years is pretty good, we were never able to get him fit to that level.

He is a player who can suck you in with two or three things a game he does that look really impressive and make you think he could be a star but it seems WC fans are pretty measured in what they expect from him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back