Toast Nathan Wilson - Welcome to Freo!

Remove this Banner Ad

You have to be a bit out there to be a top line footballer, especially one who thrives under pressure.

if anything this ridiculous photo shoot makes me think he is going to work out great

Means he won't wilt under pressure - he simply doesn't give a * what others think of him :) Perfect in a high pressure role, as long as he's driven to always improve and doesn't equally not give a * about coaching feedback :p

Is there a storm in my teacup?

1. is a footballer
2. Plays for my team
3. Plays well for my team - I don't know yet, but I am optimistic.

Errata that I don't care about
1. Is a Brain surgeon
2. "but dammit Gladys, what if the kids see him performing these legal things that we disapprove of?"
3. Insert big list here...

its possible to be all of the things in your first sentence without exhibiting yourself in the media in underwear. I don't disagree with the sentiment of your post but one doesn't follow as a consequence of the other. Plenty of celebrities do this kind of photo shoot and get divorced 5 minutes later.
I suspect the Beckhams were trailblazers for this kind of marketing of your family "brand".
As for your 2nd second sentence organised crime is often centred around the concept of family.
Tribalism isn't always healthy & families are often dysfunctional.
In my work as a drug & alcohol counsellor I hear people say every day that family is the most important thing in their life, (except drugs).
That isn't to say that importance of family can't be a good foundational value just that of itself it doesn't make everything else ok as you seem to be implying.

Tribalism may not always be healthy but leading a life following social convention and valuing what others think greater than what makes you happy is significantly less so.

Many celebrity marriages fail but to try to make a correlation to photo shoots is pretty silly. All I see from these photo's is a father exhibiting pride and happiness in his family in his own way.

Taylor is right, so long as your core values are just, everything else is irrelevant. As a trans person I can tell you the less you care about the approval of others, the happier you will be.

Likewise caring and taking offense to this type of harmless behaviour says something about yourself.

Tribalism may not always be healthy but leading a life following social convention and valuing what others think greater than what makes you happy is significantly less so.

Taylor is right, so long as your core values are just, everything else is irrelevant. As a trans person I can tell you the less you care about the approval of others, the happier you will be.

Taco, here is hoping that everyone can wear their adult pants rather than their immature 12 year old pants about your identity. All that should matter in here is that Purple is the rightful colour ordained by the gods, all devotees are equals. I don't give a personal rat's arse about your gender identity one way or another, having seen your posts for years, you are Freo and therefore family.

Same as Nathan Wilson, though a new recruit, he's wearing my beloved purple and is family.

All that should matter in here is that Purple is the rightful colour ordained by the gods, all devotees are equals. .
By the way, thought the Queen looked rather nice in purple the other day. Was wondering if she had a #7 stitched onto the back of her frock. Probably wouldn't reveal her favouritism though.

By the way, thought the Queen looked rather nice in purple the other day. Was wondering if she had a #7 stitched onto the back of her frock. Probably wouldn't reveal her favouritism though.
Her majesty is old school.

She'd still be wearing #29.

Nothing about the photo,
just about footy.
I feel that Wilson might just be our most important recent signings.
not enough has been mentioned about what Paul Duffield brought to the team.
precision kicking, added to Wilson's run have me very excited

Woop! 2018 buddy!

Yeeehhhhhh bbbbbuuuuudddddyyyy

Massive 2018 coming up for this guy, can’t wait to see him take off on a few runs from the back half, jump over the coming press and deliver it lace out to our forwards!
Quick question for you Mr Wilson-buddy;

Is his recruitment and indication of a shift in our gameplan?

OR

Will the way he plays be modified to adjust to our existing gameplan?

Quick question for you Mr Wilson-buddy;

Is his recruitment and indication of a shift in our gameplan?

OR

Will the way he plays be modified to adjust to our existing gameplan?

Very good question! In my humble opinion...

I believe we’ve been trying to get more elite kickers to our team for the past few years - still following that Hawthorn model

To this date we’ve had good mids (hill bro’s / Weller.. ) who have had to push back and then run there guts out then still be expected to deliver that inside 50 kick to our still-developing forward line

I think freo will be super happy with someone like him and the development of Ryan in our back half - it’ll open up new avenues to goal and it’ll make our forwards look better - not because they are doing anything different but that quick elite kick in our forward half will be there before the defence has time to set up.

I do believe we will adjust our strategy a little - get the ball into him / Ryan / connors / Mundy (I think he will play half back a lot this year) hands on that back half and press quick and accurately forward. I think you’ll see us playing a lot of slingshot footy this year but the difference will be that accurate kick inside 50 before the defence has time to settle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very good question! In my humble opinion...

I believe we’ve been trying to get more elite kickers to our team for the past few years - still following that Hawthorn model

To this date we’ve had good mids (hill bro’s / Weller.. ) who have had to push back and then run there guts out then still be expected to deliver that inside 50 kick to our still-developing forward line

I think freo will be super happy with someone like him and the development of Ryan in our back half - it’ll open up new avenues to goal and it’ll make our forwards look better - not because they are doing anything different but that quick elite kick in our forward half will be there before the defence has time to set up.

I do believe we will adjust our strategy a little - get the ball into him / Ryan / connors / Mundy (I think he will play half back a lot this year) hands on that back half and press quick and accurately forward. I think you’ll see us playing a lot of slingshot footy this year but the difference will be that accurate kick inside 50 before the defence has time to settle

Yes I am going with a little bit of this and a little bit of that theory too.

It isn't just Wilson either. Ryan is primed to play, Logue is an elite runner, Tucker and Hughes are ready to go, Brayshaw and Cerra will become regulars in next to no time. Every single bit of that makes for much better rebound and transition.

Yes I am going with a little bit of this and a little bit of that theory too.

It isn't just Wilson either. Ryan is primed to play, Logue is an elite runner, Tucker and Hughes are ready to go, Brayshaw and Cerra will become regulars in next to no time. Every single bit of that makes for much better rebound and transition.

Yup you’re right. I’m really keen to see how Tucker comes on this season, I have a good feeling about him

Many celebrity marriages fail but to try to make a correlation to photo shoots is pretty silly. All I see from these photo's is a father exhibiting pride and happiness in his family in his own way.

Likewise caring and taking offense to this type of harmless behaviour says something about yourself.
You seem to have got the impression from my post that I'm suggesting anyone should worry about what others think or that I've taken offence in some way to the photo shoot. Neither of these things is the case.
my general attitude is pretty much do whatever you like if it makes you happy.
I sometimes try to make subtle distinctions about the way language or generalisations are used and get hung up about the logic of an argument itself rather than the subject and it never ends well so I'll just say I don't have any disagreement with the general sentiments of the point you or Tayor are making and leave it at that as I feel I've outstayed my welcome in terms of others reading this thread.

Yeah hope so. Has it looked like it at training

Yes it has. Even before Nathan started training with us. Quick transition via long kicks down the corridor where possible. Goal to goal line using about 14 players.
We have drafted players with classy kicks to improve the quality of the overlap.

Nothing about the photo,
just about footy.
I feel that Wilson might just be our most important recent signings.
not enough has been mentioned about what Paul Duffield brought to the team.
precision kicking, added to Wilson's run have me very excited

Duffield was (and still is) very underrated, and people jumped on him for not being a great 1-on-1 defender. He didn't need to be. Our peak 2015 form was when Duffield and Johnson were up and about. Sure, Fyfe got injured. But a major reason for our demise was Duff falling off a cliff after the first handful games. He was one of those brought in for the B team at the end of the year ... had 25 touches against Port and I reckon he could have stayed in the side for the finals run.

You seem to have got the impression from my post that I'm suggesting anyone should worry about what others think or that I've taken offence in some way to the photo shoot. Neither of these things is the case.
my general attitude is pretty much do whatever you like if it makes you happy.
I sometimes try to make subtle distinctions about the way language or generalisations are used and get hung up about the logic of an argument itself rather than the subject and it never ends well so I'll just say I don't have any disagreement with the general sentiments of the point you or Tayor are making and leave it at that as I feel I've outstayed my welcome in terms of others reading this thread.
You wouldn't be alone there, with regard to the bolded. I do the same thing, and it often results in most people thinking you're against a particular topic on a moral principle, rather than understanding you're pointing out incongruities of the arguments within that topic.

I didn't actually see the article until it was brought up here - I don't read the West at all.
But when I did I was immediately reminded of something else I'd seen - here: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/01/fashion/weddings/grace-du-pont-conor-sutherland.html

And how it was reviewed here:
http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...l/news-story/0e72916f58396cefc24eeea99b5f295a

Basically, the entire wedding announcement was ridiculed as a pretentious white person piece in the News.com article.
When I read it, I saw a proud tradition in which a married coupled celebrated their achievements and those of their family in a wedding announcement, which dovetails into Taylor's comment regarding family values.
Other people, however, see it in quite a different light. But white people aren't currently a cause celebre, so... I suppose that makes it alright.

I do wonder, though, what the reaction would have been had that been a prominent Perth couple, and it was posted on page three of the West.
The two first things that spring to mind are A: it wouldn't have made page three of the West and B: if it had been ridiculed, not many would have cared enough to defend them using a "freedom of expression/be proud of who you are" stance the way they are on this forum.

And, of course, if I were of a more conspiratorial mind set, it might also have been (given it was published in The West, and given Wilson's comments regarding the Eagles) a cunning ploy in which a family pride article is a cleverly disguised piss-take on Freo players in an attempt to paint them as classless boguns.

No such thing, the more points of view the better
I get interested in discussions about aesthetics and language and pretty much anything but
You wouldn't be alone there, with regard to the bolded. I do the same thing, and it often results in most people thinking you're against a particular topic on a moral principle, rather than understanding you're pointing out incongruities of the arguments within that topic.
thats it exactly. thank you. The rest of your post is very interesting too :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back