National AFL Women's League - Carlton Wins Licence - Post #136

Remove this Banner Ad

as long long as they get it right and it doesn't end up costing the club too much money. In the long run, i'm sure there will be profits to be made when the comp is sound and running smoothly. I'm not sure at the time of the comp though, might have been better playing it in to the AFL season so they can have curtain raisers before Premiership games.

The timing is sound imo. The dull time after the Aus Open, when the Big Bash has finished and there are only a few Mickey Mouse one dayers. Everyone is hanging out for the NAB challenge games by then. Probably the best time they could have picked to have a launch with focused attention.

Was just thinking how an appearance on TFS by its players should be helping legitimize the Women's League. Unfortunately it is such a farrago of sexist humiliation and blokey clubbism, it no longer does. They'll need legitimate media exposure.

Was just thinking how an appearance on TFS by its players should be helping legitimize the Women's League. Unfortunately it is such a farrago of sexist humiliation and blokey clubbism, it no longer does. They'll need legitimate media exposure.

Fortunately Rebecca Maddern did a good job of negating the sentiments of the relic sitting near her after his selective rant the other night. I had heard about what he said, but hadn't heard about her comments. She may just make a difference .... eventually.

It shouldn't be her role to make a difference though.

Still, someone has to.

The good thing is that while we may have cynically looked at the tokenism of her spot on the show desperate to show it wasn't a seniors frat party, she isn't about to sit by and take the edge off the boy's club by her mere presence. She said her piece. If flew in the face of what Sam said. Sam didn't try to bully her out of it like he did when Brayshaw tried to separate himself from Sam's words.

Good on her. She has earned her place there, not that I would encourage that particular vehicle if I had her ear.

It's a situation similar to blaming the victim. It's not her role to 'make-up' for the sexist, blokey rubbish that infects the show. She doesn't hold the responsibility of change. It is the role of the men who create the infection. Unfortunately - and the network that allows the program to exist is mostly responsible for this - we wait for generational ie. societal change. It seems Newman has to actually die before the others either get buried with him or just drop off from sheer, utter humiliation. Sadly as long as there are ratings enough to sell advertising the tumor will continue to grow.

It's a situation similar to blaming the victim. It's not her role to 'make-up' for the sexist, blokey rubbish that infects the show. She doesn't hold the responsibility of change. It is the role of the men who create the infection. Unfortunately - and the network that allows the program to exist is mostly responsible for this - we wait for generational ie. societal change. It seems Newman has to actually die before the others either get buried with him or just drop off from sheer, utter humiliation. Sadly as long as there are ratings enough to sell advertising the tumor will continue to grow.

I agree it is not her role. However, Lyon goes out awash in scandal and she appears. I have no doubt she is quite qualified and deserving of being on a football show. I also have no doubt the producers brought her in to appear progressive, not because they are progressive.

Interestingly Sam talked about the many management forced apologies he has had to make over the years (some 30) or lose his job. While it seems a positive that his job has been threatened, it seems they aren't that serious about taking it (will he make forced apology 31 this week ... I have my doubts), it also shows that the guy has no ability to concede, understand, have empathy for or just plain relate to any of the parties he has offended in order to make those apologies. He is in fact brazenly saying, he meant none of those apologies. I wonder how many of good mate Eddie's apologies were sincere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It wouldn't matter if Newman apologised - it wouldn't even matter if he meant it. People don't hear them anymore. The change train has left the station heading for progressive-ville and the fact he ain't on it is fine by me for one. Feminists, social justice advocates and gender equality activists have run out of patience with pathetic anachronisms like him. We now transition to a better place with real people who give a s**t about others.

It wouldn't matter if Newman apologised - it wouldn't even matter if he meant it. People don't hear them anymore. The change train has left the station heading for progressive-ville and the fact he ain't on it is fine by me for one. Feminists, social justice advocates and gender equality activists have run out of patience with pathetic anachronisms like him. We now transition to a better place with real people who give a s**t about others.

I dont think you are entirely correct. Theres a reason the footy show is still on tv - and it still rates wel. Theres still large segments of the community - and not all of them are male - that dont subscribe to the same progressive lines of thought. Not to mention the fact that Newman gets a reaction almost every time puts the lie to that too.

and that's the point for mine - the low grade humour that is considered 'just a joke' - even the dumb dad stuff which allows men to buy into the clutzy, kitchen/household failure syndrome - doing damage well beyond any joke level

and that's the point for mine - the low grade humour that is considered 'just a joke' - even the dumb dad stuff which allows men to buy into the clutzy, kitchen/household failure syndrome - doing damage well beyond any joke level

I guess my issue is that ditzy women and clutzy men do in fact exist, and at some point are we just not going to allow any characterisations in advertising? There's got to be some leeway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back