National Broadband Network

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes but do we really need analogies for broadband speed?

broadband is so front and centre in everyones lives (particularly genX,Y), it should be broadband providing the analogy

Yes but do we really need analogies for broadband speed?

broadband is so front and centre in everyones lives (particularly genX,Y), it should be broadband providing the analogy

I don't think any one is arguing that NBN isn't important but the scale and scope of the project has been a massive debate. It would have helped if the project had a feasibility completed, as required by government policy, to provide transparency.

Unfortunately it was an election policy rather than a policy on communication. Anything built on shaky foundations is set to failure and waste.

The NBN should be privatised and the government pulled out of this mess.

Privatisation of Telstra worked out so well for everybody. I don't understand why the conservatives are so against the NBN- it's exactly the sort of government owned asset that some future Howard 2.0 conservative PM could sell to make himself appear to be a good economic manager.

Last edited:
Privatisation of Telstra worked out so well for everybody. I don't understand why the conservatives are so against the NBN- it's exactly the sort of government owned asset that some future Howard 2.0 conservative PM could sell to make himself appear to be a good economic manager.
They've half given it over to Telstra already.

I'm done giving Turnbull excuses. He can't lead. This was his project and Abbott is out of the picture. He isn't putting Australia first.

The NBN should be privatised and the government pulled out of this mess.
That will be incredibly stupid because Telstra and other telcos will pick it up cheap as chips and will have extreme leverage over the government due to how much of a debarcle it has been.

Conservatives are the only one to sell state assets? Take a quick look to the Hawke/Keating era and see some of the doozies that they sold. It isn't exclusive to one side.

That will be incredibly stupid because Telstra and other telcos will pick it up cheap as chips and will have extreme leverage over the government due to how much of a debarcle it has been.

I agree and suggest there be a stand alone infrastructure business subject to all the standard regulations of monopolies

Then have stand alone retail businesses and stand alone wholesale businesses

The privatisation of telstra was poorly done as it didn't create competition. The retail, wholesale and infrastructure should have been carved up and sold separately.

but in a way it proves a point. Govts can't even sell something properly, let alone build it or run it.

Ziggy Switkowski has brought a whole lot of attention to the NBN. He is Turnbull's appointment. He broke conventions as a public servant by writing an opinion piece in the middle of an election, after the NBN raids on Labor, also done in the middle of an election.

It turns out he had asked the public service for advice on doing this, via the Dept of Prime Minister and Cabinet and was told to not do it. He did it anyway.

Another of Turnbull's appointments (like Sinodinos, like Brough, like believing Godwin Gretch) that has shown to either have disrespect for our laws or conventions, or to have for one reason or another decided that the political advantage in breaking those conventions was more important.

Ziggy Switkowski has brought a whole lot of attention to the NBN. He is Turnbull's appointment. He broke conventions as a public servant by writing an opinion piece in the middle of an election, after the NBN raids on Labor, also done in the middle of an election.

It turns out he had asked the public service for advice on doing this, via the Dept of Prime Minister and Cabinet and was told to not do it. He did it anyway.

Another of Turnbull's appointments (like Sinodinos, like Brough, like believing Godwin Gretch) that has shown to either have disrespect for our laws or conventions, or to have for one reason or another decided that the political advantage in breaking those conventions was more important.

was it political?

From memory he simply explained the theft of documents by employees was theft.

Is he a public servant?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was it political?

From memory he simply explained the theft of documents by employees was theft.

Is he a public servant?

Tell us nothing about detention on Nauru. Operational matters.
Tell us everything about how papers got taken from NBN Co.

Just another way the LNP pulls the wool over the voting public's eyes.

Tell us nothing about detention on Nauru. Operational matters.
Tell us everything about how papers got taken from NBN Co.

Just another way the LNP pulls the wool over the voting public's eyes.

I think you are confused.

Take a moment to think about it.

His article breached the caretaker convention.

It took a political position and he was informed not to publish by the department of the primeminister and cabinet.

These aren't opinions, they are facts.

No that's lunacy

Staff were caught stealing and trying to breach not only convention but the law.

The chair of the company was well within his rights to highlight the breach, the laws and staff protocols.

This reminds me of 1984

No that's lunacy

Staff were caught stealing and trying to breach not only convention but the law.

The chair of the company was well within his rights to highlight the breach, the laws and staff protocols.

This reminds me of 1984
Doesn't remind me of 1984 at all. Not even slightly.

What staff were caught stealing?

The documents were leaked, and what you call stealing, I call public interest disclosure.

This was information regularly published by the last government. These were whistleblowers, exposing government or NBN failures and a coverup.

The chair of the company was not within his rights to take a political position, which he did, while the government was entering caretaker mode. He didn't simply claim theft, but made a political argument and criticised Labor.

This, combined with the timing of the raids, point to a public servant desperately interfering with the political process in a partisan way.

The countries senior public servant warned him, he breached clear protocols that have been in place for a long time. What he did was wrong and reeks of an attepmt to coverup the mess they have created.

The liberal plan is a con. What they are banking on, is not being called out on it, by higher uptake, because consumers view the costs for service as not worth it.

That was always one of the criticisms of the original ALP plan as well. I recall one IB research note stating the NBN would never make money unless its charges were very high but that in turn would kill demand.

That was always one of the criticisms of the original ALP plan as well. I recall one IB research note stating the NBN would never make money unless its charges were very high but that in turn would kill demand.
Did they take into full account predictions on how it will change our economy, contribute to growth, productivity etc?

Some things are worth it... For the country...

Doesn't remind me of 1984 at all. Not even slightly.

What staff were caught stealing?

The documents were leaked, and what you call stealing, I call public interest disclosure.

This was information regularly published by the last government. These were whistleblowers, exposing government or NBN failures and a coverup.

The chair of the company was not within his rights to take a political position, which he did, while the government was entering caretaker mode. He didn't simply claim theft, but made a political argument and criticised Labor.

This, combined with the timing of the raids, point to a public servant desperately interfering with the political process in a partisan way.

The countries senior public servant warned him, he breached clear protocols that have been in place for a long time. What he did was wrong and reeks of an attepmt to coverup the mess they have created.

let's see if the courts agree with you

Remove this Banner Ad

Back