List Mgmt. National Draft 2020 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Might've been covered already, but the Herald Sun mock draft had us taking Bailey Laurie.

178cm Forward/Mid.

Absolutely no way we take him, surely? Not after we just traded Higgins and given we'll also draft Rioli jr, plus have Aarts waiting in the wings and Bolton possibly forced to play more forward.

Herald Sun no idea.

Might've been covered already, but the Herald Sun mock draft had us taking Bailey Laurie.

178cm Forward/Mid.

Absolutely no way we take him, surely? Not after we just traded Higgins and given we'll also draft Rioli jr, plus have Aarts waiting in the wings and Bolton possibly forced to play more forward.

Herald Sun no idea.
They're just probably defaulting to the Richmond like small forwards perception.

Realistically, the only reasonably decent mock draft with mail is the final Emma Quayle or the Cal Twomey ones, and they are basically done the morning of the draft or day before so it's useless, may as well wait 12 hours and get the actual picks...

They're just probably defaulting to the Richmond like small forwards perception.

Realistically, the only reasonably decent mock draft with mail is the final Emma Quayle or the Cal Twomey ones, and they are basically done the morning of the draft or day before so it's useless, may as well wait 12 hours and get the actual picks...
Emma now works in the GWS recruiting department.
Brett Anderson was another who had good info who would post decent mocks but he's now a recruiter for Port Adelaide. With all the cuts to journalism it was the right move to make for both of them but now we're stuck with Twomey who I think has some good sources but is rubbish at analysing the actual players.

Matt Balmer for fox also is worth a mention. Although he was pissed that we took Shai Bolton so...

Let's be honest, in typically RFC style we are very likely to take a left field "reach" that none of us have heard of or is not rated pre-draft. I feel like that happens every second draft with our first rounders.

No idea why this thought keeps doing the rounds.

2019 - Dow seems to have been a little early but about the mark
2018 - RCD slid to us
2017 - Higgins, CCJ and Balta were all considered first rounders with potential to be top 10-15 or as low as mid 20s depending on how teams felt.
2016 - Shai was a second but only went so late due to homesickness fears
2015 - Rioli was early, but he wasn’t getting past 20-25 in the end.
2014 - CEllis was in that 10-25 bracket.
2013 - Lennon was rated in that second bunch of players between 7-15 depending on what a team wanted.
2012 - Flossy was always a top 15 pick
2011 - Ellis was picked about where we expected between 10-20
2010 - Conca was very early, would have been between pick 20-30 (I’ve always been annoyed we didn’t down trade for a few picks in the 15-25 zone since we wanted him so bad)
2009 - Dusty
2008 - vickery always top 10
2007 - cotchin
2006 - reiwoldt
2005 - JON, he was still rated pretty highly but we were a mess selecting him based on videos.
2004 - Deledio and Tambling

I reckon Conca is the only massive reach with Dow and Rioli seemingly picked a little early.

2018 - RCD slid to us
2017 - Higgins, CCJ and Balta were all considered first rounders with potential to be top 10-15 or as low as mid 20s depending on how teams felt.
2013 - Lennon was rated in that second bunch of players between 7-15 depending on what a team wanted.
2010 - Conca was very early, would have been between pick 20-30 (I’ve always been annoyed we didn’t down trade for a few picks in the 15-25 zone since we wanted him so bad)
2009 - Dusty
2007 - cotchin
2006 - reiwoldt
2005 - JON, he was still rated pretty highly but we were a mess selecting him based on videos.

I reckon Conca is the only massive reach with Dow and Rioli seemingly picked a little early.
JON, Conca and Monica were rated late first round picks in most phantom drafts. Fine eyes specials , going for speculative picks that backfired.

2018 - RCD slid to us
2009 - Dusty
2007 - cotchin
2006 - reiwoldt

our biggest mistake was JON , but hey you cant win them all
look at the top 20 from every year and there's a handful you dont recall the names ... because they arent getting games ...
I do think Tambling would have been developed better with our current regime
and TV might have done a tad better , they tried all sorts of things to get him and Jack to work together
and they've got it worked out with Jack and Lynch

apart from that is consistency in recruiting

and it showed in our onfield performance

2013-2015 - 3 years of finals
2016 blat
2017 + 4 years of finals

when you are not going to the bottom of the table you aren't going to draft the likes of Cotch & Dusty
and have to make do , and that we are

Emma now works in the GWS recruiting department.
Brett Anderson was another who had good info who would post decent mocks but he's now a recruiter for Port Adelaide. With all the cuts to journalism it was the right move to make for both of them but now we're stuck with Twomey who I think has some good sources but is rubbish at analysing the actual players.

Matt Balmer for fox also is worth a mention. Although he was pissed that we took Shai Bolton so...
Why was he pissed about Bolton

Be happy if we end up with this kid but apparently is rocketing up a lot of good judges draft predictions

We’ll probably go a kid that’s not on too many radars and fits our attacking game style

One I particularly like is Zavier Maher from the BushRangers, powerful midfielder, great size and pace, and has spent time training with us
Anyone know if Zavier is the son of Shaun and Glenda from Swan Hill ?

JON, Conca and Monica were rated late first round picks in most phantom drafts. Fine eyes specials , going for speculative picks that backfired.

JON was following orders to find the best athlete = JON. Think that was Terry doing his thing. When he left us WC got him as they thought thee was gold in him. So obviously great potential, but ..... reality.

Conca was 'the best inside mid' for his pick range. I get it, was awesome at what he did. But being the guy that makes the star better isn't really first round worthy. Had a good AFL career, but no star.

Why was he pissed about Bolton

He just thought it was a really risky pick. Let on that he knew some things that made him a flight risk but I suppose that's the thing with risky picks is sometimes they pay off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eddie Ford looks like a traditional CHF, unfortunately he's undersized by todays' standards unless he can grow an inch or two.
You see ît entirely different to me. He was a HFF in under 17s who would have played on ball in the TAC under 18s this year. CHF are you joking? he's a runner who is also a good mark for his height. Love to get him, absolute highlights package. Could play any position other than KPP.

He just thought it was a really risky pick. Let on that he knew some things that made him a flight risk but I suppose that's the thing with risky picks is sometimes they pay off.

Common thread on thinking about Shai before he was drafted was top 10 talent, will slip to 20's. I never really knew why, but I guess people thought he was a bit risky. Well good development does lower that risk a fair bit.

Similar thinking with RCD, super talent but risky. Hopefully he turns out good too.

will this pick 61 be used on a NGA player ?

we seemed to get a taste for "pinching players" from other clubs last year
which I think it showed we watched all emerging players closely
and had a careful eye on the draft commitments of the home Club

Last edited:
With Miller and Garth being retained, I'm starting to think that we're going to load up on mid sized players in the draft given they're likely to be a less riskier option than taking a KPP type who hasn't had a chance to show how they have matured and developed from their under aged seasons.

Following today’s list changes but no formal confirmation on Rance would anyone know how many spots that gives us for the national and rookie drafts?
With Higgins Rance Turner Markov English & Miller off the senior list, we'd have 32 listed on the senior list. Presuming that we're elevating Baker Aarts & Pickett that would leave us 3 spots in the National draft & 2-3 spots in the rookie draft depending on when Mate joins the list.

Hope this helps somewhat

1606290997263.png

Would we look at a delisted player to join us? So someone like a Jetta, McDonald, Mason or Fox?
Don’t think we can afford too in list spots, especially with the Garthwaite re-signing. Only chance is the rookie list imo, but even then I’m not sure we will.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back