List Mgmt. National Draft 2020 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that's a very reasonable point. The question though is would there be such a medium defender at pick 17 that isn't a 'reach'. I haven't followed the draft nearly closely enough to say. If there is then yeah sure. I'm just pointing our Ford and Winder as players that aren't 'reaches' at our first pick that might be available that could improve a comparative weakness in our team. Still will be praying for a Cox or a Reid until their names are called out by other clubs before us.
Yeah I agree 100%

I was more kinda just commenting on our list overall and not necessarily we should draft one with pick 17

We seem to just go for best available on draft night especially with our lower picks than tend to look at more positional recruiting with the later picks

Graham is our only proven young inside midfielder, Bolton has shown great signs in the midfield, but seems to be more of a hybrid midfielder who uses his explosiveness and agility to create space rather than crash in and win the footy. Ross is another who showed some promise first year, but has been trialled elsewhere this year, then there is Dow RCD & Martyn who have a combined 2 games to their names. So for mine adding another highly rated young ball winning midfielder at our first pick sounds like a solid plan rather than reaching for a fan hyped KPF like a Baldwin or even Callow that some suggested early on as a candidate for our first pick.

Plus an inside mid taken now isn't someone we're picking up for 2021 or the 2022 season, they are someone we're looking at bringing in from 2023 when the likes of Cotchin & Edwards are likely retired and we've moved Dusty to a permanent forward role where he is kicking 50+ goals a season. This player would be joining the likes of Graham Ross RCD & Dow as being the next generation engine room.
Whether their ready or not we’ve certainly drafted a lot of inside midfielders over the last two years with with RCD, Ross, Dow and Martyn.

Each of those players and Jack Graham who’s also still very young are great prospects and really exciting players. I cannot help but think these players deserve and need further opportunities to improve themselves.

I feel young talls and outside runners are two areas we don’t have as much young depth in (outside of the best 22) so if there was any promising young outside runners or talls that are available at our picks I’d like to see them be a target for the club.

Wouldn’t mind having a crack at Kaine Baldwin with that pick 36 if he is still on the table
Knees are a big concern but we have a pretty well rounded list atm and is worth the risk
I am a definite NO to Baldwin

2 x Knee injuries
Average agility
3.18 20mtr speed

" A knock on that kind of progress further afield could also be his speed and agility after two long-term knee injuries, the pace and pressure of AFL level will likely heighten anything lacking in that department."

Wouldnt you just package up both #17 & #36 and select Turner with #91
I’d have absolutely no issues with the club redrafting Turner. However, if the club planned on bringing him back onto the list, the new rule the AFL introduced that allowed uncontracted players to be moved straight to the rookie list (what happened with Miller). We could have done this at lost lodgement, even despite him being delisted.

I'm actually starting to get excited about this draft now.

Seriously think our first will be a promising midfielder - unless Reid, Cox or even Chapman some how slide.
Eddie Ford or Isiah Winder could be a slim chance to be available at our second.
MRJ bid could come almost any time after our first pick or not at all.
An interesting mix of later in the draft key position forwards that could go anywhere, including our 2nd or 3rd - Callow, Baldwin, Matt Alison, Liam McMahon, Fraser Rosman, Ned Carey, Josh Treacy, Kolar...(not sure if those are all KPF).

It feels like absolutely anything could happen.
Even the possibility of trading pick 17 for a future first and death-riding another team in 2021 would be OK with me.

I have no doubt that if Eddie Ford was 5cm taller he would be #1 on a Tiger supporters wish list

He is the player thats closest to our Jack Riewoldt
There’s probably not a single third tall/mid sized forward or defender in the competition that wouldn’t want to be an extra 5cm tall. :p

My only question on Eddie Ford is whether he fits our style. Of course things could change in the future once Riewoldt retires but Caddy was one of the best midsized forwards in the AFL during the 2018 season and over the last two seasons he could hardly get a sniff playing inside the forward fifty.

There’s probably not a single third tall/mid sized forward or defender in the competition that wouldn’t want to be an extra 5cm tall. :p

My only question on Eddie Ford is whether he fits our style. Of course things could change in the future once Riewoldt retires but Caddy was one of the best midsized forwards in the AFL during the 2018 season and over the last two seasons he could hardly get a sniff playing inside the forward fifty.
And thats ok as it will take Ford 3 years to grow 5 cm and learn the game style and build his fitness to the level where he would run all day and become a real threat. In which time caddy will just about be cooked

And thats ok as it will take Ford 3 years to grow 5 cm and learn the game style and build his fitness to the level where he would run all day and become a real threat. In which time caddy will just about be cooked
Not a lot of players grow 5cm from the time their drafted, it’s common to see a couple of cm’s growth but there wouldn’t be many footballers drafted at 189/190cm and go on to become 194/195cm.

I’d have no complaints with Ford but I’m personally leaning towards Jack Carroll as my preference for our first pick, I think he has a wonderful blend of skills and athletic attributes. I think this could also lead him to become a very good mid sized/rebounding defender.

Not a lot of players grow 5cm from the time their drafted, it’s common to see a couple of cm’s growth but there wouldn’t be many footballers drafted at 189/190cm and go on to become 194/195cm.

I’d have no complaints with Ford but I’m personally leaning towards Jack Carroll as my preference for our first pick, I think he has a wonderful blend of skills and athletic attributes. I think this could also lead him to become a very good mid sized/rebounding defender.
Im just kidding about growing 5cm lol

17. Bruhn/Carroll/O'Driscoll
36. Ford/Winder/Callow
Match bid MRJ

Done. Will we move Soldo to the LTI list to get an extra rookie?

Jack Carrol does sound ******* good -

" Left footed medium midfielder who is a prolific contested ball winner, strong overhead and a good distributor by hand and foot. Consistent ball winner at Under-18 level in WAFL last year and he showed his potential for Team Dal Santo in Futures match at season end. He had a strong 2020 season playing seven matches at Under 18 level averaging 23.1 possessions (60% contested) 5.1 clearances and 3.4 tackles. Showed good speed at National Combine in WA recording 3.02 seconds for 20 metres. "

(Log in to remove this ad.)

" Left footed medium midfielder who is a prolific contested ball winner, strong overhead and a good distributor by hand and foot. Consistent ball winner at Under-18 level in WAFL last year and he showed his potential for Team Dal Santo in Futures match at season end. He had a strong 2020 season playing seven matches at Under 18 level averaging 23.1 possessions (60% contested) 5.1 clearances and 3.4 tackles. Showed good speed at National Combine in WA recording 3.02 seconds for 20 metres. "
Sounds like a good get
You don’t generally see a player with both a decent inside and outside game drop around the pick 20ish without some downside
Any idea what they are?

And first name Jack...Jack Carrol that is...

He’s also born on the 20th of December so he was very close to not even being eligible for this years draft. He’s probably becoming my most desirable player for our first pick.

I listed the picks in the order that they are currently listed, but with a number of sides bound to lose a swag of picks when they match bids on their kids our 3rd picks likely comes in to something like the late 40s, which could see Callow become a bargain as some sides looking for the more athletic types might overlook him.
Yeah mate, I wasnt knocking yoj
I listed the picks in the order that they are currently listed, but with a number of sides bound to lose a swag of picks when they match bids on their kids our 3rd picks likely comes in to something like the late 40s, which could see Callow become a bargain as some sides looking for the more athletic types might overlook him.
Yeah mate, wasn’t knocking your suggestions at all, would be great to get Callow with our 3rd pick. I know there is another guy we are interested in with our last pick that you will find very little info on, club has had multiple talks with him. Speedy wingman/defender. I know the kid personally so don’t want to give away a name but will see what happens.

17. Bruhn/Carroll/O'Driscoll
36. Ford/Winder/Callow
Match bid MRJ

Done. Will we move Soldo to the LTI list to get an extra rookie?

Tend to think that's not too bad a group there although not sure on Callow. Bit flat footed for mine. But yes one of Bruhn, Carroll and O'Driscoll wouldn't be too bad. Ford and Winder look interesting. Not that excited by Powell, Perkins and Cook.

I’d have absolutely no issues with the club redrafting Turner. However, if the club planned on bringing him back onto the list, the new rule the AFL introduced that allowed uncontracted players to be moved straight to the rookie list (what happened with Miller). We could have done this at lost lodgement, even despite him being delisted.
Well thats a bugga if thats the case.
Obviously the coaches have seen enough to put a line through him which is a shame.

Another left field Jack Replacement.

Matt Allison (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

Key forward, 194cm, 81kg

Big things were expected from Allison with another year of development, showing strong form in the Cannons’ pre-season matches after modest returns from his 10 NAB League games in 2019. Allison is a mobile key forward with good hands overhead who covers the ground well. He demonstrated his strong endurance with a time of 6:17 in the 2km time-trial (ranked seventh overall) while also recording 2:975sec in the 20m sprint. The dearth of key forwards outside those at the pointy end may see Allison plucked in the first half of the draft considering his potential.

Another left field Jack Replacement.

Matt Allison (Calder Cannons/Vic Metro)

Key forward, 194cm, 81kg

Big things were expected from Allison with another year of development, showing strong form in the Cannons’ pre-season matches after modest returns from his 10 NAB League games in 2019. Allison is a mobile key forward with good hands overhead who covers the ground well. He demonstrated his strong endurance with a time of 6:17 in the 2km time-trial (ranked seventh overall) while also recording 2:975sec in the 20m sprint. The dearth of key forwards outside those at the pointy end may see Allison plucked in the first half of the draft considering his potential.

Seems like there are a lot of high risk high reward KPFs this year. I would imagine the club has had a good look at them and picked who they want. I wouldn't be unhappy if we went best for pick1, and then KPFs for the rest + MRJ. Just load up with talent and hope one of the KPFs comes through.

Seems like there are a lot of high risk high reward KPFs this year. I would imagine the club has had a good look at them and picked who they want. I wouldn't be unhappy if we went best for pick1, and then KPFs for the rest + MRJ. Just load up with talent and hope one of the KPFs comes through.
I still prefer we go down the future pick road and just take MRJ this year.
What does this years mids have over our current kids like RCD/Dow/Ross/Martyn etc?
Just seems like next years draft the right time for a mini rebuild for us.
More picks next year the better.

I still prefer we go down the future pick road and just take MRJ this year.
What does this years mids have over our current kids like RCD/Dow/Ross/Martyn etc?
Just seems like next years draft the right time for a mini rebuild for us.
More picks next year the better.

It's a fair call. Appreciating there's limited video, and it's a very different year for sure, but from the 8-10 I've scrolled through what footage exists, and that seem to be in play for us at 17 this year, it's not the most inspiring lot that I've seen that's for sure.

Cal Twomey suggesting that Tanner Bruhn could slide to our first round pick. Would need a lot of luck for that to happen.
If that did happen, the Saints would be kicking themselves for trading down.

He seems a reasonable option if we are going to keep and use 17. Don't think he'll slide that far though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back