List Mgmt. National Draft 2020 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

This shows what 2021 picks currently look like. Obviously not exact but based on 2020 ladder positions.
Presuming next year's draft is similar to this year's with a top 5 then top 10 quality, it would be really nice to get a top 10 or better without trading away the house for it (or finishing outside the top 8).
It's why I could see us possibly trading our pick 17 for a future first. Worth the gamble for a possible top 10 pick next year.
Teams that don't have a second round pick in 2021 may only consider it if we include one of our 2021 2nd rounders - Essendon, Port, GWS, St Kilda, Bulldogs. I'd be happy doing this for a team if we felt there was a reasonable chance them finishing bottom 5.

Collingwood, West Coast & Geelong all have multiple second rounders next season so maybe wouldn't mind trading their future first for pick 17.
Also all 3 are Figjam types of teams that would expect to finish high with a late first rounder but I think all 3 are a chance to drop out of finals next year.

View attachment 1021484
Another idea which would offer Collingwood some insurance against an early Reef McInnes bid, is if they trade their current pick 16 for our 2021 first rounder at the start of the draft. We then use their pick 16 on whoever, then regardless of whether there has been a McInnes bid or not, trade our current pick 17 to Collingwood for their 2021 first rounder.
I'm pretty sure that is allowed in the rules. They are different picks being traded each time.
Collingwood only drop down one place in the 2020 order - but that pick is now safe from an earlier McInnes bid. The trade-off is swapping 2021 firsts with us, which they can convince themselves they may finish better anyway, while we expect they'll fall out of the eight. I'd be very willing to take that gamble.
Edit: Actually Collingwood only have picks 65 & 70 after their 2 firsts- worth 129 points combined, although that increases a bit as later picks shift up the order due to other bid matching. If they don't use one of their firsts to match a bid then they'll have points deficient in the first or second round next year anyway. A better strategy for them would be to keep downgrading one of their first round picks for extra points each time so that they have more "leftover change" whenever a bid does come and don't go into deficit at all.

There's no real insurance for Collingwood in that scenario as they only go back one spot.

There's a lot of talk this year about yes to this name no to that name. The individual names dont matter and especially not in a lottery year like this with no under 18s champs.

Who really cares who we get? The development of them is a lot more important given the draft order this year will be so much based on guesswork.

I'm interested in the type of player/position but realistically no one has a good gauge on one name over another, being better as a 17 year old has such variance to whos better at 25.
Agreed
I know this is stating the obvious but I think players attitude is so important.

Perhaps even more than ability particularly once you get past the absolute elite players ie top 6.

In every draft There’s a pool of probably 30 or 40 players that are so similar in ability (skill and athleticism) that the biggest difference will be their attitude and desire to go the extra yard.

We have some of the best- Grimes, Vlaustin, Graham, Nank, Bakes, Lambert etc..

Of course helps having the odd genius as well- Dusty

Just hearing Sam Berrys name from a couple of people the last couple of days, who are usually around the mark with Richmonds picks. Im on the O Driscoll bzndwagon myself but Berry is an interesting one.

Just hearing Sam Berrys name from a couple of people the last couple of days, who are usually around the mark with Richmonds picks. Im on the O Driscoll bzndwagon myself but Berry is an interesting one.
2nd pick or later for Berry would be fine.

There's no real insurance for Collingwood in that scenario as they only go back one spot.
By insurance, I mean that their pick 16 disappears (to us for our future 1st) early in the draft so that it can't be "wasted" to match early bids and then they get our pick 17 (for their future 1st) right when it's time for it to be used so it is also safe from "wasted" on bid-matching.
The problem with this idea is that apart from their other first round pick - 14, they have bugger all other points to match any bid so they would just have to pay a deficit in 2021, which just delays the pain.
They are better off trading their pick 16 for later picks worth more points - could be done in several trades to maximise the points. Then they could use the strategy I proposed to protect pick 14 from bid-matching.

I stopped the video after JUH said he looked up to Josh Bruce as a role model...

By insurance, I mean that their pick 16 disappears (to us for our future 1st) early in the draft so that it can't be "wasted" to match early bids and then they get our pick 17 (for their future 1st) right when it's time for it to be used so it is also safe from "wasted" on bid-matching.
The problem with this idea is that apart from their other first round pick - 14, they have bugger all other points to match any bid so they would just have to pay a deficit in 2021, which just delays the pain.
They are better off trading their pick 16 for later picks worth more points - could be done in several trades to maximise the points. Then they could use the strategy I proposed to protect pick 14 from bid-matching.
I get what you're saying, but they are going to be in a world of hurt even if MacInness gets a bid after their 1st two picks, all of their later picks go to the back end of the draft.

They can really only trade back into the 1st round after a bid for MacInness, so they sort of have nowhere to go, yeah trade 16 for later picks and value but then run the risk of losing a 1st round pick if a bid comes in after that 16, same with 14.

I would like the Pies 1st round round pick next year as it's likely to be in that 6-10 range.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get what you're saying, but they are going to be in a world of hurt even if MacInness gets a bid after their 1st two picks, all of their later picks go to the back end of the draft.

They can really only trade back into the 1st round after a bid for MacInness, so they sort of have nowhere to go, yeah trade 16 for later picks and value but then run the risk of losing a 1st round pick if a bid comes in after that 16, same with 14.

I would like the Pies 1st round round pick next year as it's likely to be in that 6-10 range.
Hope you’re right about the Pies finishing bottom 8

thats suspect

whats happening behind the scenes?

GCS only have a list spot for one pick this year (pick 5). Based on the purported strength of next years draft and how compromised this years draft will be, I wouldn’t be surprised if those picks actually end up being similar in spot and talent available

Carlton are also the sort of cockspank of a team that we could trade our pick 17 to for their next year's first.
Since they don't have a pick until 31 this year and they'll be thinking their first next year is later than 17 :tonguewink: but we know it's likely to be top 5.

Yes, unlikely, rated 5-12 by AFL Draft Central

View attachment 1021440

If he is deemed a flight risk than only North and Collingwood have picks from 10 onwards that could see him taken before our pick unless live trading happens. Which I suspect Collingwood will be after a different type of player with their picks with Reef McIness being an academy selection, they will be hoping to add to their midfield and Diacos the following year.

Not sure if he's been mentioned but Caleb Poulter looks like an interesting prospect. Tall mid (191cm) who can play inside or outside. Physical and competitive and a good kick of the footy.

He's under 80kg so he needs to add a fair bit of size.

Little I've seen of him, he reminds me of Grigg. Obviously tested faster than Grigg would have but from what I've seen that speed doesn't translate in games.

Why would you do that put all your eggs in one basket in next year keep involving might find a kid plays 15 games next year.This is the draft were there can be high reward for teams like us sitting back and waiting because of limited exposure this year.Players will slide without a doubt to.I would love to get hold of Sun's pick 27 there not using to.
Personally if we can't get either Zac Reid or Cox then we should look at a future pick with 17.
We have depth in most areas except KP.
This is of course dependent on what Clarke & Co think of next year's KP stocks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back