List Mgmt. National Draft 2020 discussion

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
How would people feel about

17 36 & 61 for GWS 20 & 26.

If we believe that Rioli will not be bid on until late where we don't have to match. We could then add 2 top 30 rated kids elevate Baker & add Rioli which gives us the minimum 36 senior list, which then leaves us with 2 spots for the mini drafts as we would have 36 senior listed 5 Cat A rookies 1 Cat B rookie.

20 & 26 when NGA are taken into account probably slide back a bit into a range where we can then take a couple of talls without having to reach for them at our first pick or hope they slide to our next pick.
We did something similar with Brisbane in 2017, swapped our 15 and 52 for their 20 and 25 which netted us Balta and CCJ. Brisbane needed to do that to get a pick in before a bid came on their Academy player, Ballenden. They got Zac Bailey and Jack Payne with our picks. GWS have Josh Green (Tom's brother) as their Academy pick this year but I think he's expected to go late.

I think the Supplementary drafts are for rookie places and expect a couple of the current rookies will be elevated, probably Pickett and Aarts leaving us those vacant spots on the rookie list for those extra drafts.

I, for one, would prefer to swap our 1st this year for someones 1st next year, Pies for example. Would give us a very strong hand next year with two 1sts, two 2nds and two 3rds. The opportunity for trading up becomes much easier with that capital when you can add future trading as well. The chances of trading for RFA's is opened up too.

*edit..........there's some pretty handy players coming out of contract next year including one Tom Green

Last edited:

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
No take your best at 17
The only thing is that we haven’t been taking the best talent with our first pick lately. The last top-tier star we took in the first round has been Nick Vlastuin back in the 2012 draft. I’m not including the last 2 drafts of course because it’s too early to judge them. We’re usually really good at letting others go at the best on paper and then identifying who slipped through the cracks (e.g. Lambert, Balta, Graham and Bolton).

It all depends for me. Are we realistically able to pick a Jack Riewoldt replacement with pick 17 or not? If we are, then I want us to keep pick 17. If not, then I’d probably want us to trade it out for two picks in the 20s or something like that.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, NY Giants, NY Mets
The AFL website has us with up to 6 picks in the draft (currently we have 32 senior listed players). However, given we're elevating Baker that would leave us with 3-5 picks in the national draft and anywhere from 0-3 rookie picks.

My guess is we take the minimum players in this draft and leave more room for all the late bloomers that will slip into next year's midseason rookie draft. I think there will be quite a few bargains in the midseason draft next year once Vic kids get a chance to show what they can do.

EDIT: We should also get an extra rookie spot due to Soldo's ACL as well. Depends if we think he's a chance of returning at all in 2021.
6 picks? We lost 6 players and the list sizes have been reduced by 2. That leaves 4 spots. We'll have an extra rookie cat B but you don't draft those players.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Does anyone know if Jack Carroll and Jackson Callow are good? There’s a phantom draft that has us picking them with 17 and 36 respectively.

Jackson Callow looks strong in the air in the highlights video and looks AFL-sized, but I don’t know how he’d go with our gamestyle. The games they showed weren’t particularly fast-paced and that’s how we usually play.

I haven’t seen anything about Jack Carroll other than him being a 187cm midfielder.

6 picks? We lost 6 players and the list sizes have been reduced by 2. That leaves 4 spots. We'll have an extra rookie cat B but you don't draft those players.
We have 32 senior listed players with Higgins Rance Turner Markov English & Miller being removed from the senior list. You are allowed up to 38 senior listed players if we so choose between 4 & 6 Cat A rookies and 1-2 Cat B rookies. Total list size can't be more than 44 players.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
We have 32 senior listed players with Higgins Rance Turner Markov English & Miller being removed from the senior list. You are allowed up to 38 senior listed players if we so choose between 4 & 6 Cat A rookies and 1-2 Cat B rookies. Total list size can't be more than 44 players.
Baker is on the senior list now

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
AFL has confirmed list sizes for the next season, as part of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) with the AFL Players’ Association 2021.

It will see clubs permitted to have a minimum of 37 players and a maximum of 44 players on their books.

Primary lists must have between 36 and 38 players. Category A rookies are capped at 4-6, up to a total of 42 players on a list including primary-listed players. Each club can also have two Category B rookies.

Like I was saying. 4 spots.

Baker is on the senior list now
Haven't seen anything official from the club to state that Baker has been upgraded to the senior list and if he had been elevated then the available draft picks we have wouldn't be 6. I believe that he is remaining as a rookie for 2021 and will be elevated next year.

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Haven't seen anything official from the club to state that Baker has been upgraded to the senior list and if he had been elevated then the available draft picks we have wouldn't be 6. I believe that he is remaining as a rookie for 2021 and will be elevated next year.
Even if that were true that means we would have 32 senior plus 6 rookie cat A players. That's 38 total. We can have 42 primary listed players. That includes senior and cat A rookies. That leaves 4 spots.

AFL has confirmed list sizes for the next season, as part of a Collective Bargaining Agreement (CBA) with the AFL Players’ Association 2021.

It will see clubs permitted to have a minimum of 37 players and a maximum of 44 players on their books.

Primary lists must have between 36 and 38 players. Category A rookies are capped at 4-6, up to a total of 42 players on a list including primary-listed players. Each club can also have two Category B rookies.

Like I was saying. 4 spots.
We have up to 6 spots available. Most likely we'll only take 4.

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
It’s bloody confusing, Cal Twomey suggesting that we might only take 2 picks in the ND.
Surely we take at least 3 picks!? Unless we are elevating another 1 or 2 off the rookie list.

And apparently there’s the opportunity this year for players to do a preseason with a club and be added to the list in Feb/March.
And the mid year draft is back next season.
Clubs may leave spots open to assess talent after the ND and RD

How are you still at 6?
We have 32 senior listed players, we're allowed to have up to 38, we could draft 4 kids and elevated 2 rookies if we wanted to reach the 38. That equates to 6 picks in the draft. As I said we're likely to take only the 4 and it's possible we only take 2 live picks and 2 upgrades and leave 2 spots for the mini drafts

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
You're allowed 36-38 on the senior list. We currently have 32. We're upgrading Baker, so make that 33. So we have 3-5 senior list spots to fill.

List sizes haven't actually been reduced at all. You can still have 44 players if you want to. You just have the option to take less now, with minimum list sizes down to 37 players (36 senior +1 rookie).

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
You're allowed 36-38 on the senior list. We currently have 32. We're upgrading Baker, so make that 33. So we have 3-5 senior list spots to fill.

List sizes haven't actually been reduced at all. You can still have 44 players if you want to. You just have the option to take less now, with minimum list sizes down to 37 players (36 senior +1 rookie).
Primary listed players are 42 not 44. And I quote from the AFL.

It’s always 4 open spots on the main list at maximum. We have 32 main list spots but we also have 6 rookies so we can only go to 36. If Baker is upgraded (imo he is) then it’s still 4 because we’ve now got 33 and 5, we can go to 37. So there’s no chance of 6 spots on the main unless we lose rookies to get down to 4 on the rookies list (which would mean upgrading them which would take up those main list spots).

So 4 main list spots, whether we use all four selections at the draft is another matter.

People are getting confused because the AFL are counting Cat B rookies (allowed 2) when they say 44. The only list spots are:

36 main + 6 rookies + 2 cat b
37 main + 5 rookies + 2 cat b
38 main + 4 rookies + 2 cat b

That is all.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
How would people feel about

17 36 & 61 for GWS 20 & 26.

If we believe that Rioli will not be bid on until late where we don't have to match. We could then add 2 top 30 rated kids elevate Baker & add Rioli which gives us the minimum 36 senior list, which then leaves us with 2 spots for the mini drafts as we would have 36 senior listed 5 Cat A rookies 1 Cat B rookie.

20 & 26 when NGA are taken into account probably slide back a bit into a range where we can then take a couple of talls without having to reach for them at our first pick or hope they slide to our next pick.

I would do #17 + #36 for the crows #22+#23

SumTingWong

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 10, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
It’s always 4 open spots on the main list at maximum. We have 32 main list spots but we also have 6 rookies so we can only go to 36. If Baker is upgraded (imo he is) then it’s still 4 because we’ve now got 33 and 5, we can go to 37. So there’s no chance of 6 spots on the main unless we lose rookies to get down to 4 on the rookies list (which would mean upgrading them which would take up those main list spots).

So 4 main list spots, whether we use all four selections at the draft is another matter.

People are getting confused because the AFL are counting Cat B rookies (allowed 2) when they say 44. The only list spots are:

36 main + 6 rookies + 2 cat b
37 main + 5 rookies + 2 cat b
38 main + 4 rookies + 2 cat b

That is all.
The confusion for me is whether Eggmolesse-smith was Cat A or B. If B then we have 5 spots

Sure you guarantee that?
No guarantees, but with 2 cracks at it inside the top 30 with our recruiters recent record, I'd be quite confident in them nailing the picks.

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Does anyone know if Jack Carroll and Jackson Callow are good? There’s a phantom draft that has us picking them with 17 and 36 respectively.

Jackson Callow looks strong in the air in the highlights video and looks AFL-sized, but I don’t know how he’d go with our gamestyle. The games they showed weren’t particularly fast-paced and that’s how we usually play.

I haven’t seen anything about Jack Carroll other than him being a 187cm midfielder.

Jack Carroll is a beauty and if he is available at #17 (#20 after bids matched) would be a great get
Some experts have even likened him to Cotchin and is also a bottom ager so a bit of growth left in him both in physical size and game

Back