List Mgmt. National & Rookie Draft 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, odds are both those two are gone. Two small potential mids and a guy that like goater because he is better on the inside but worse skills. What do you think our number one need would be in this draft?

Our number one need is the best 'dual' midfielder available. We're fine on the outside IMO.

Whether they're consider 'small' or not, we just need pure footy talent.

Well we need an outside player with good foot skill. Still got some more weight to put on which can help his inside game. But we don’t need any more insiders, just let one walk for free.
steele didn’t start off as a massive possession getter, now look at him.
We need quality mids that can win their own footy.

Our number one need is the best 'dual' midfielder available. We're fine on the outside IMO.

Exactly- we need the next Oliver Bont or petrecca to help Steele out ,so the closest skilled and strong burst player available at our pick is what we should go for rather than a pure inside or outside player.

Exactly- we need the next Oliver Bont or petrecca to help Steele out ,so the closest skilled and strong burst player available at our pick is what we should go for rather than a pure inside or outside player.
At pick 11 we arnt getting that. We can all dream but the top end talent is gone by our pick.

I have to disagree. Byrnes, Gresh ans even Snaggs are capable of that.
Get someone with height, run and marking ability. We're already and still a smallish midfield.

At pick 11 we arnt getting that. We can all dream but the top end talent is gone by our pick.

Not saying we will but I'm seeing blokes that look and sound exciting to me regularly out to about 15-16 on Phantom lists. Seems we should have some decent prospects to pick from at 11. I of course no nothing other than what I read on the internet though.

It's a big jump from him saying maybe 2 weeks ago that he'd just had an injection in the area and he needs some rest to having back surgery.

Can the Dentist fix this?

I agree with the 'duel' role being what we need but I would prefer guys on the taller side.
I thought Oliver wasn’t overly tall . But he’s an absolute animal and throws his body around into any contest and loves it . It turns out even he is 187cm tall . They won it in the center breaks . We should be focusing purely on that .

I'll be amazed if there isn't an elite midfielder taken somewhere after pick 10 in the draft this year.

Hope so but it doesn't happen that much generally.

Elite (2x AA) midfielders taken after pick 10:

2017: 1 - Tim Kelly (pick 24)
2016: 0
2015: 0
2014: 1 - Jack Steele (24 - academy)
2013: 2 - Patrick Cripps (13), Zach Merrett (26)
2012: 0
2011: 5 - Toby Greene (11), Tom Mitchell (21 - father-son), Elliot Yeo (30), Lachie Neale (58), Rory Laird (rookie 5)
2010: 0
2009: 1 - Nat Fyfe (20)
2008: 1 - Dan Hannebery (30)
2007: 0
2006: 1 - Josh Kennedy (40 - father-son)
2005: 1 - Matt Priddis (rookie 31)
2004: 0
2003: 0
2002: 1 - Jobe Watson (40 - father-son)
2001: 6 - Nick Dal Santo (13), Sam Mitchell (36), Leigh Montagna (37), Gary Ablett (40 - father-son), Dane Swan (58), Matthew Boyd (rookie 23)
2000: 0

How good was 2001 though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought Oliver wasn’t overly tall . But he’s an absolute animal and throws his body around into any contest and loves it . It turns out even he is 187cm tall . They won it in the center breaks . We should be focusing purely on that .
I’ve been saying Steele is our Oliver for a while. They both have the one weapon and it’s go extremely hard at the ball and never give up. 5000 clearances a game and half as many tackles.

I'll be amazed if there isn't an elite midfielder taken somewhere after pick 10 in the draft this year.

We just have to be good enough to take them

This.

It’s a large midfielders crop in a heavily compromised draft. I will be astounded if there aren’t massive sliders when we retrospectively look back at it in some years. Just take the best player at pick 11 and hopefully that’s a mid whose ready to get the show on the bloody road after two years of interrupted footy. Bullish on the NGA’s as well. Work your magic Gags and Libba.

2011: 5 - Toby Greene (11), Tom Mitchell (21 - father-son), Elliot Yeo (30), Lachie Neale (58), Rory Laird (rookie 5)
2001: 6 - Nick Dal Santo (13), Sam Mitchell (36), Leigh Montagna (37), Gary Ablett (40 - father-son), Dane Swan (58), Matthew Boyd (rookie 23)

That's an average of over one a year. And there are players from 2015 onwards still with plenty of time to win their second AA.

My point is though that this is a draft known both for its evenness and midfield talent.

There will be some quality mids taken after pick 10.

I’m not sure how we do it, but would love to add a pick around 20 to our draft hand. Means at worst were guaranteed 3 solid selections (if one of our NGAS gets bid on in the first 20) and at best we can nab pick 9, a slider at 20 and our two NGA boys.

I heard someone saying that inside mids are out of fashion and that clubs want spread runners. The guys that can do both like Oliver are in demand so are the hardest to find.

I thought we played better with Dunny in the side so I don't get why sides are moving away from that. Libba made the Dogs better too. Anyway I want someone who can win contested ball regardless. They have very low bust factor.

I heard someone saying that inside mids are out of fashion and that clubs want spread runners. The guys that can do both like Oliver are in demand so are the hardest to find.

I thought we played better with Dunny in the side so I don't get why sides are moving away from that. Libba made the Dogs better too. Anyway I want someone who can win contested ball regardless. They have very low bust factor.
Oliver is an inside mid.

He's just a much better runner than he was due to working his arse off.

I don't think inside mids will ever go out of fashion. You've just got to have more to your game, which s why Dunstan has always struggled to cement a spot.

Not saying we will but I'm seeing blokes that look and sound exciting to me regularly out to about 15-16 on Phantom lists. Seems we should have some decent prospects to pick from at 11. I of course no nothing other than what I read on the internet though.
Horne Francis, Daicos,Darcy and Callaghan have been promoted as the top 4 prospects all along,but from P5 onwards all the experts have had mixed assumptions of the remaining top 20, so with little footy for the VIC boys who knows where any of the others will get picked.
Let's hope our recruiters have done their homework,and some havent been as diligent

2010 had Luke Parker, Libba, Jarrod Lyons, Seedsman and Ricky Henderson, Michael Barlow and DeBoer off the rookie list. It was one of the best late pick drafts.
2012 looks like Viney and Hunter as FS are the only good ones- terrible draft.
2015 Dunkley and Fiorini. I reckon Partington looks like he could be a top flight AFL mid too, just got dumped early.
2016 there was Jy Simpkin at 12- there'd be much bigger hype at another club. 29 Shai Bolton- plays mid forward but is elite. Actually a few that still have some scope to be very good players as well.

Oliver is an inside mid.

He's just a much better runner than he was due to working his arse off.

I don't think inside mids will ever go out of fashion. You've just got to have more to your game, which s why Dunstan has always struggled to cement a spot.

I think clubs only want to carry one at the most was this guy's point. If you are a single position inside mid you have to be elite or they won't carry you. Oliver is an inside mid but he runs all day and spreads these days. He's probably the best mid in the comp to be honest and would be the prototype modern mid.

That's an average of over one a year. And there are players from 2015 onwards still with plenty of time to win their second AA.

My point is though that this is a draft known both for its evenness and midfield talent.

There will be some quality mids taken after pick 10.

Yep, a midfielders draft. You usually only get a handful of good ones in every draft, this one has FA forwards and backs at the top end but heaps of mids. They have a much lower bust factor too.

Yeah. I see that a lot too. But what people really mean are “depth inside mids” are out of fashion. Elite players are never going to stop being useful.
Yes Inside mids who can play only one position can only run one way and can't spread are as out of style as a stay at home Tony Lockett type full forward.

Would not have thought that was rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back