• Half Back Flank

• Half Back Flank

• Another Ruckman

• George Castagna

• Best available, yep I knew you'd choose this one ya tool

• A hard hitter like Sonsie

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

On Fawcett first, I get your recruiter mate would see these players a lot more but going by his highlights package he looks agile and mobile enough. Roving off packs and kicking goals around the body shows his agility. Also at 1.55 in video, he attacks the ball with pace and runs around and kicks a goal around the body. Thats good enough for me ;)

Clarke mentions Clay Hall but wasn't overly fussed about missing out going by the below comment. I watched Hall's highlights package they do look similar in the way they play both lefties, hard at it with the ability to burst out of packs.

I trully hope Kane McAuliffe is not lazy as your mate alluded to. Hope he has a big preseason and I look forward to watching him in the ressies throughout the year.

Richmond recruiters had rated midfielder Clay Hall highly, however, when he became an Eagle at pick 38 they did not get overly twitchy. “If you’ve got your heart set on one player specifically then you probably won’t do a lot of these things,” Clarke said.
“But when you’ve got a band of players at a certain rating you go, ‘OK, well he’s one of these’.

Laziness will quickly get knocked out of him hanging around Dusty and Co....

😭

We’ve gone through the lazy one so much before. I hope they fix his efforts very quickly if true because this would frustrate us a lot.

With Fawcett, we’ll have to see just how bad his lack of mobility is. If it isn’t that bad and he at least puts in effort at contests, then it may not be that bad

On Fawcett first, I get your recruiter mate would see these players a lot more but going by his highlights package he looks agile and mobile enough. Roving off packs and kicking goals around the body shows his agility. Also at 1.55 in video, he attacks the ball with pace and runs around and kicks a goal around the body. Thats good enough for me ;)

Clarke mentions Clay Hall but wasn't overly fussed about missing out going by the below comment. I watched Hall's highlights package they do look similar in the way they play both lefties, hard at it with the ability to burst out of packs.

I trully hope Kane McAuliffe is not lazy as your mate alluded to. Hope he has a big preseason and I look forward to watching him in the ressies throughout the year.

Richmond recruiters had rated midfielder Clay Hall highly, however, when he became an Eagle at pick 38 they did not get overly twitchy. “If you’ve got your heart set on one player specifically then you probably won’t do a lot of these things,” Clarke said.
“But when you’ve got a band of players at a certain rating you go, ‘OK, well he’s one of these’.

Yeah I thought Fawcett got around the ground ok. Talent and list needs are a subjective thing and clubs won't always agree so I wouldn't be writing these boys off yet, I'm pretty happy with the selections on face value. We'll see if a few years I guess...

Last edited:
Yeah I thought Fawcett go around the ground ok. Talent and list needs are a subjective thing and clubs won't always agree so I wouldn't be writing these boys off yet, I'm pretty happy with the selection on face value. We'll see if a few years I guess...

Fair call mate, agree wholeheartedly!

On Kane McAuliffe looking at his South Australian numbers (based on four games), he did average 8 tackles a game which is a big positive on how hard he works.

I guess for most of us, we will be watching closely at reserves level to see "does he get from contest to contest". Does he overlap to get the handball receive or short kick. No doubt walking into a professional environment like Richmond the coaches will fine tune his game as well as Fawcett.

Last edited:

Hard to tell from the highlight package...
Could be explosive at the contest...spesh at center bounce...spesh at the start of the Q's...then diminishes in attack as both the Q's/and game rolls on...which earns him the sobriquet of 'lazy'...
Wow! Didn't think that anyone would ever use that word, especially on this forum

Oh Yeah Reaction GIF by NBA

someones mentioned this before is McCauliffe RCD MK II ? gotta say that was my initial thought when drafted
im more excited by the Fawcett ?? could go either way,so its 50/50,hoping the KPFWD works out to be the lucky half
Seems to me the only similarity is the burst from the pack. McAuliffe seems a very aggressive ball winning type. RCD was about potential and a one trick pony, the burst. This kid seems battle ready and mentally tough, already 86kg's.

I don't agree with the comparison with RCD apart from being explosive athletes. From a footballing perspective Kane racks them up while RCD was often where the ball aint. Even in juniors RCD struggled to find the ball.
RCD was an absolute spud and should never have been drafted 1st round. Very low stats at all levels of football. I was horrified when he was selected. If a kid is getting low or even average possessions at junior level, it's not going to be better at AFL level. McAuliffe has far better stats than RCD but we'll need to see if it translates to the top level.

RCD was an absolute spud and should never have been drafted 1st round. Very low stats at all levels of football. I was horrified when he was selected. If a kid is getting low or even average possessions at junior level, it's not going to be better at AFL level. McAuliffe has far better stats than RCD but we'll need to see if it translates to the top level.

Spot on.

Mids who don't dominate juniors have little hope of being good AFL midfielders.

It was a trend for a long time for clubs to try and snare the next Fyfe. A high upside type who floated in and out of games at junior levels. Just pick the best performed player.

The most dominate junior mid we have selected in the draft in the last 10 years was probably Jack Graham. As much as he frustrated at times, he's probably been the best one at AFL level for us too.

In saying that, if you go back and look we also mostly avoided picking highly rated pure midfielders for the last decade plus (and key forwards). Hell, even going back to 2010 we were picking Conca, Ellis and Menadue types. Not a good strategy.

Last edited:
Spot on.

Mids who don't dominate juniors have little hope of being good AFL midfielders.

It was a trend for a long time for clubs to try and snare the next Fyfe. A high upside type who floated in and out of games at junior levels. Just pick the best performed player.

The most dominate junior mid we have selected in the draft in the last 10 years was probably Jack Graham. As much as he frustrated at times, he's probably been the best one at AFL level for us too.

In saying that, if you go back and look we also mostly avoided picking highly rated pure midfielders for the last decade (and key forwards). Hell, even going back to 2010 we were picking Conca, Ellis and Menadue types. Not a good strategy.
You must have a quality midfield to threaten for the flag. Kids who have hi stats in the midfield at juniors are usually the best performed at AFL level. Richmond keeps avoiding drafting pure mids and we will not compete at the pointy end until we start to do so. Teams can win a premiership without a quality forward line but not without a quality midfield.

I could be wrong, probably am, TT was a Med forward for alot of his junior career I think??? Not the rule I know, but it can work it out on occasion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You must have a quality midfield to threaten for the flag. Kids who have hi stats in the midfield at juniors are usually the best performed at AFL level. Richmond keeps avoiding drafting pure mids and we will not compete at the pointy end until we start to do so. Teams can win a premiership without a quality forward line but not without a quality midfield.
We picked up 2 mids last year, one drafted at pick 2 and one drafted at pick 7

Quite a few of the midfielders around the RCD pick haven't really worked out in hindsight.

In fact, if you look at the 2018 draft in general, only Walsh, Rozee and Butters can you really say have been consistent AFL-level midfielders.

Bailey Smith and Tarryn Thomas have had their own issues to deal with, while Chayce Jones (pick 9), Jye Caldwell (pick 11), Jackson Hately (pick 14), Xavier Duursma (pick 18), Liam Stocker (pick 19), Collier-Dawkins (pick 20), Ely Smith (pick 21) and Xavier O'Halloran (pick 22) have all either been in and out of their respective AFL teams, moved around the ground a lot, delisted or traded away.

Except we well and truly did compete and succeed at the pointy end with the same drafting team and strategy that we have now

“We have such a specific set of things that we’re looking for. It’s not just like: ‘We’ll roll the dice and if he’s gone at 16, we’ll just pick the next player.’ The drop-off is enormous.” - Giants recruiting manager comments in respect to why they didn’t accept West Coast offer of their future first round pick in exchange for pick 10

Last edited:
Spoke to my recruiter mate yesterday. He was very positive about the trading done on draft night.....not so much about the drafting.

Said McAuliffe although tests extremely well physically he doesn't show it enough during games and can be lazy. Has all the tools as they say. At least this is something that can be improved.

Fawcett has ability but "lacks mobility". Big question marks.

Reckons Clay Hall was probably one that we had on our board that we missed out on by trading back.

McAuliffe had to build fitness throughout the season having missed preseason with his groin issues. Maybe what your mate saw as laziness was a lack of match fitness earlier on in the year?

And Clarke has said the main thing they like about Fawcett is work rate / ability to get around the ground - so not too worried about that

McAuliffe had to build fitness throughout the season having missed preseason with his groin issues. Maybe what your mate saw as laziness was a lack of match fitness earlier on in the year?

And Clarke has said the main thing they like about Fawcett is work rate / ability to get around the ground - so not too worried about that
Could be onto something there with Kane, over the yr he knocked 40secs off his 2k time trial time. Tested very well at the combine also.

Here we go, we finally get ourselves draft picks to trade and do whatever and the AFL i going to change the rules f..k the AFL

If the AFL made clubs pay fairer value for f/s and academy players that'd be a good thing for us. Unfortunately it's not likely to be introduced next year anyway.

Back