National Draft Pick #37 - Alex Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

This is wrong in so many ways.Luke always takes the best forward unlike Glass who takes the third best or even a small forward.Luke was all Aust 012 and on track for the same honours 013 until his injury so the comment on Glass performing better than Luke is way of the mark
Both great players but Luke would be in my 22 before Glass
This :thumbsu:

May I also add that all-aus means zilch, they don't have a clue what they're doing, the teams get worst by the year.

Nothing about Barlow says great athlete.

He just tries really hard, as we've seen with him rocking up to pre-season early.

There are plenty of natural footballers without naturally outstanding tanks or impressive speed. Freo has a couple. Late converts are just s**t unless you're Scott Pendlebury.
Kieran Jack
Mike Pyke
Kurt Tippett
Zac Clarke
Dean Brogan
Zac Smith

Wouldn't touch any of these players. Massive spuds. :rolleyes:

Nothing about Barlow says great athlete.

He just tries really hard, as we've seen with him rocking up to pre-season early.

There are plenty of natural footballers without naturally outstanding tanks or impressive speed. Freo has a couple. Late converts are just s**t unless you're Scott Pendlebury.

Barlow is extremely fit and strong in a contest. IMO that makes him an athlete. Perhaps his lack of leg speed keeps him from being a great athlete, but he is an athlete nonetheless.

Difference in opinion as to what makes you a great athlete vs being athletic. You can train the second not the first, genetics are important. For example in our team there are plenty with a decent tank but Mzungu is a league of his own in the 4th. And I think that Menagola is still on our list because he absolutely dominates the beep and 3k runs and has done since he got here. You can't teach big, fast or endurance. you can only improve what's there.

Still I'll take a workhorse ala Barlow over some naturally gifted twerp who thinks the world owes him something.

But getting back to that clip of Pearce. He burnt a few in that. I did not expect someone that big to move that fast.

Hmmm... That would make Dawson the guy to be peeling off and distributing out of defence, I think switch the names around and that's what's been happening. Dawson has been more often than not contending with the gorillas, especially when there's only 1 in the team.
I loathe to turn it into a comparison thread but Glass's body appears to be holding up better, he's been AA more times, AA captain in 2012 as a 30+y/o. I've always been more of a fan of Macca as he's ours and just as good but those discounting Glass in here are kidding themselves.
I think you'll find it's MJ who "peels off" and distributes out of defence. I realise that you're not suggesting this, but, anyone who thinks Luke isn't our best Key defender, IMO, really hasn't been watching the dockers for, well, god knows how long.

It's a bit of a red herring to say that Luke takes the best.

Zac takes the biggest, that's why he's in the team. Luke takes the 2nd biggest or the more mobile of the two. E.G. Against Hawthorn Zac would take Roughhead and McPharlin would take Franklin.

No different to McPharlin, Scarlett etc. Glass is still a quality player, one of the only ones over there up the road. He's currently performing better than McP in the twilight of his career and looks like he could go on for many more years, unlike McPharlin..

It looks likely that 2014 will be their last year, although only Glass has admitted that.

Not even sure what's going on here with the bolded. Until he was injured this past season Luke had been comfortably the best performed key defender of the past two years. Calling Glass a key defender is probably a little generous though.

Barlow is extremely fit and strong in a contest. IMO that makes him an athlete. Perhaps his lack of leg speed keeps him from being a great athlete, but he is an athlete nonetheless.

He said he ran a 2.80 20 meter sprint at the draft combine, which is elite. Maybe he just looks slow cos he runs so hard he is usually pretty buggered.

From the top of my head:

Steven Alessio was a late convert. And David Hille, who while not a star, was a serviceable ruck for nearly 200 games, after coming from volleyball

Wasn't Adam Goodes relatively late to the game as well after playing soccer in most of his youth?

I know for a fact Paul Kelly played rugby league as a junior more than he did Australian football (which is why he had that crazy brave playing style).

From the top of my head:

Steven Alessio was a late convert. And David Hille, who while not a star, was a serviceable ruck for nearly 200 games, after coming from volleyball

Wasn't Adam Goodes relatively late to the game as well after playing soccer in most of his youth?

I know for a fact Paul Kelly played rugby league as a junior more than he did Australian football (which is why he had that crazy brave playing style).

Wasn't Scott Pendlebury a champion basketballer as a teen? Don't know if it was his first sport though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brogan won a premiership in both sports too. Won the NBL with the Adelaide 36ers in his first year of BBall in 1998, won the AFL premiership with Port Power six years later.

He said he ran a 2.80 20 meter sprint at the draft combine, which is elite. Maybe he just looks slow cos he runs so hard he is usually pretty buggered.

In Barlow's first year opposition players generally weren't able to catch him when he was in the open. I think the longer strides may disguise his pace and he can maintain pace for long periods so has pace/endurance combo. Not sure if he lost a bit of zip after the leg injury, at least he seems to be over the pain based on an article I read a while back.

In Barlow's first year opposition players generally weren't able to catch him when he was in the open. I think the longer strides may disguise his pace and he can maintain pace for long periods so has pace/endurance combo. Not sure if he lost a bit of zip after the leg injury, at least he seems to be over the pain based on an article I read a while back.

He will be at his absolute best in 2014 with the injury a distant memory.
He was great in 2013 and he has returned to training earlier than he was required. So, he is on a mission.

He will be at his absolute best in 2014 with the injury a distant memory.
He was great in 2013 and he has returned to training earlier than he was required. So, he is on a mission.

Yes it is just a wonderful thing that he has been able to get anywhere near the form he showed in his stunning debut year. A real credit to him, and it is clear that he is not about to be satisfied with that. What an inspiration.

Cannot see him ever playing in our forward line... But he could be a very good FB/CHB along with Tanner Smith. Years to come:

On a side note I hope from now we get some value out of our Tasmanian players.
To date Brodie Holland lays claim to our best ever Tassie player (AFAIK) having played a handful of games and kicked a few sausage rolls. These guys need to stand up for their state....

former Docker B&F winner Adrian Fletcher and former Captain Chris Bond say "what about me"

How did you rate Pearce this year in his first year? I noticed that he was emergency a few times, which may have said more about your injuries to key talls, but still a good sign. What position has he been playing in the WAFL?

How did you rate Pearce this year in his first year? I noticed that he was emergency a few times, which may have said more about your injuries to key talls, but still a good sign. What position has he been playing in the WAFL?

Key back but not a true chb as tanner was side by side with him and Silvagni was fb.

Can play. Quick and good in the air but very raw. Give him 2 or 3 years. May make mistakes at AFL level but I think will have a good learning curve.

Was unaware he was indigenous....

INDIGENOUS ALL STARS SQUAD
*Fremantle:
Michael Johnson, Stephen Hill, Alex Pearce, Danyle Pearce, Michael Walters, Brady Grey, Jonathon Griffin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back