National Draft Profiles

Remove this Banner Ad

Moti.com

Senior List
May 10, 2001
Rooville
As we get closer to the national draft, I thought it would be good to get to know some of the players. Updates on Draft Camp will also be posted.
Available on AFL.com.au are profiles of all 76 players at the draft camp. I will have some details from there and others from my other sources.
Here are the top 6 picks that will go before ours:
- LUKE BALL - Incredible onballer with real speed and talent. Will be the 1st choice by Hawthorn. Class Act.
- CHRIS JUDD - Like Ball, prolific ballwinner, with the ability to fill in a key position in emergencies. Very versatile.
- ASHLEY SAMPI - Biggest leap in history! Incredibly quick and skilful. Very much like Farmer but with better midfield skills. Will go to West Coast Eagles.
- LUKE HODGE - Geelong Falcon left footer with great skills and can kick beautifully.Kicks goals.
- GRAHAM POLAK - Standout big guy. WCE or Freo may pick him up. It depends whether WCE pick up Sampi. Strong overhead with good skills and athletic. Wish we could have him.
- SAM POWER - Taller than brother (187), extremely skilful player that is considered just off the top 5. Will more than likely be pick number 6.

From here, this is when we come into it. Only Power may be around, the other five will be the top five.
HOWEVER, there are great players to come :

- RICHARD COLE - Injury effected him this year, but would have gone top 5 last year if hadn't been too young. Exceptional player, quick and skilful. Will be a bargain at Pick 7, as long as injury isn't too bad. Awesome!
- DAVID RODAN - Saw him on GF day, greatly skilled player with amazing evasive skills. Dual Morrish Medal winner that has a rugby background. Byron Mk.2?

Others of great potential include :
- STEVEN ARMSTRONG - Won Larke Medal, extremely good under pressure.
- JAMES BARTEL - Vic Country Captain who is extremely courageous.
- SHANE HARVEY - Not really in the same league as the other guys but was good enough for Teal Cup selection and should be near the quickest at the camp. Maybe our Pick 30 or 55.

More to come ....

Thanks for the info Moti. You're right about that top 5,those selections have been "set in stone" for months and we haven't got a chance in hell of getting one of them. As you say,there are still some top players around and I've heard,at various times,that North are interested in Cole,Rodan and Bartel as a possible 7th pick. The only one I've seen play is Rodan,both in the U18 GF and the U18 Championships final,and I believe he'd be an excellent pick up,terrific skills and can use the ball superbly,pace may be a concern but seems to be a player that doesn't get caught,or not before giving the ball off,a touch of Greg Williams there I thought.

I heard Denis Pagan interviewed on 3AW last night after returning from the Draft Camp. He seemed very impressed with several of the taller key position types (wouldn't name anyone of course!) but said he would defer to Neville Stibbard when it was time to make a selection as he had put in all the ground work and hard slog in seeing how these guys actually perform when playing rather than in "beep" tests and general knowledge quizzes. I got the impression that Denis thought "Nifty" would be going for an onballer with our first pick.

As ive actually played alongside David Rodan 3 or 4 years back i can probably examine him better than most. He's 18yo and is really a classic centreman. Has great evasive skills and has really worked on his body shape quite alot over the last year and a bit. One bad thing about him is that he is a bit short (about Peter Bell height) and because of this isnt likely to go in the top 10 and probably 20. I would say if he wasnt to play in the engine room he would probably play as a forward pocketer or half back flanker. His biggest assets would be his determination, body shape and skill.

Anyone want any further info on him????

I figure in analysing the available talent that is the numbers these boys will be selected.
Unfortunately you cant always get what you want. However if the Roos got these 3 young players at 7,14 and 30 it would be a good draft.

David Rodan is a very good player.Only 170cm tall though.

I figure we took Dylan Smith last year and would be better taking a taller player than Rodan this year.

True ER,with us getting D.Smith and Harro last year maybe our young onball division is catered for and taller players may be the order of the day for us, but I do think that we'll go for the best player available at #7 irrespective of what player type he is. I'd love it if Rodan was still available at 30 though as I think he's definitely got "it". He may be a little small but is very nuggety and I think I said earlier that his pace may be suspect but I noticed his result in the 20m sprint was among the fastest so I guess pace is not an issue.

Originally posted by blueworms
As ive actually played alongside David Rodan 3 or 4 years back i can probably examine him better than most. He's 18yo and is really a classic centreman. Has great evasive skills and has really worked on his body shape quite alot over the last year and a bit. One bad thing about him is that he is a bit short (about Peter Bell height) and because of this isnt likely to go in the top 10 and probably 20. I would say if he wasnt to play in the engine room he would probably play as a forward pocketer or half back flanker. His biggest assets would be his determination, body shape and skill.

Anyone want any further info on him????

Blueworms,

Is this guy quick?

Originally posted by Aussie_Roo

Blueworms,

Is this guy quick?

Bloody oath

These are his results at the draft camp

DAVID RODAN

20m Sprint – 2.86

Agility – 8.05

3km Time Trial – 10:22

Shuttle Run – 14.11

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And these are results of some other players.

2001 AFL DRAFT CAMP RESULTS

STEVEN ARMSTRONG

Running Vertical Jump – 84

20m Sprint – 2.96

Agility – 8.41

Shuttle Run – 14.05

ASHLEY SAMPI

20m Sprint – 2.92

LUKE BALL

20m Sprint – 2.85

3km Time Trial – 10:44

Shuttle Run – 14.02

XAVIER CLARKE

20m Sprint – 2.94

JAMES KELLY

20m Sprint – 2.93

Agility – 8.12

Shuttle Run – 14.06

JUSTIN DAVIES

3km Time Trial – 10:30

Shuttle Run – 15.03

Handspan – 246

LUKE HODGE

Running Vertical Jump – 79(R)

20m Sprint – 2.95

KIERAN McGUINNESS

20m Sprint – 2.92

Agility – 8.30

JACOB SCHUBACK

20m Sprint – 2.92

Agility – 8.33

Shuttle Run – 13.10

NATHAN STREET

20m Sprint – 2.83

Agility – 7.89

3km Time Trial – 10:54

Shuttle Run – 14.10

ASHLEY WATSON

20m Sprint – 2.96

Agility – 8.12

3km Time Trial – 10:47

Shuttle Run – 14.10

TOM DAVIDSON

20m Sprint – 2.89

Agility – 8.23

Shuttle Run – 13.11

ASHLEY HANSEN

3km Time Trial – 10:48

Handspan – 247

GRAHAM POLAK

20m Sprint – 2.96

Agility – 8.19

JOSH DICKETTS

Running Vertical Jump – 89(L)

3km Time Trial – 10:47

Shuttle Run – 15.02

Handspan – 247

BARRY BROOKS

20m Sprint – 3.04

NICK GREENWOOD

20m Sprint – 3.02

Agility – 8.18

3 or 4 years back he was one of the fastest at the club (Oak Park) but i myself was suprised at his result at the camp. Go Rodes :D

To me he stands out as a priority for us - 192cm defender, meant to be a strong mark, runs out of defence and is a good sprinter yet scored exceptionally well in the shuttle run. On the description sounds like he should be our no.1 target tho I still like the look of Barham.

haha- Rodan small

U'r all sayin Rodan is small, but if u dont remember Boomer is/was 168cm! & look at him he is a bloodie star!!!!!!!!

Good on ya Boomer!

If Rodan is half as goood as Boomer he will be a star!

Go Roos!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back