National Reserves Comp: Pickers claims AFL to introduce a National Reserves Comp

Remove this Banner Ad

SydneyGoose

Team Captain
Aug 9, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
PHAFC
Liam Pickering claimed on AFL Teams in the section "Gimme Something" that the AFL will introduce a national reserves comp as early as next year.

Personally stoked if it happens.

Would give the AFL an out for dropping the NAB cup if they orgainsed for the NAB cup to be the reserve comp running the full season.

What happens in SA/WA where the governing body in each of those states has a significant stakeholding in not only the two AFL clubs, but also the state competitions? A true national reserves competition with 17 reserves sides playing each other would have a devestating effect on both the SANFL and WAFL.

Great news. I would love to see the reserves comp back again.
I've never really been comfortable with the VFL affiliate system. I don't like the way the AFL has blurred the identity of these old clubs, or that one week they may be lucky enough to have a Cousins in their midst, and the next week he's out.

A club needs total control over the development of their player, but the VFL affiliate has a right to success for their club.
When Melbourne was affiliated with Sandy, Melbourne supporters would be livid that someone like Newton couldn't be played at full forward because of Nick Saunter kicking bags each week.

Liam Pickering struggles to know poo from clay, so I wouldn't really read to much into anything he says. It would be a logistical nightmare.

A national juniors comp would be awesome. Someone in another thread suggested lifting the draft age to 21 or thereabouts. If it could be worked out that each team has a juniors team (of about 30 players or so) to start developing players that they are interested in from an early age.

I think the Interstaters will, not that it affects the swans since we control our own reserves. But for those not clear on what is meant by a National Reserves Comp the claim is that all AFL teams will have a reserves team that play the other AFL reserves teams. So the Swans Reserves will play the West Coast reserves, Port's ressies will play Brisvegas's Ressies. Gellongs Ressies will get annihilated by Freo's Ressies. Etc ad nausium.

Pickers also said that it would be played as a curtain raiser.

Great idea, i reckon impacted would be small to sanfl and wafl teams if the top up players have to be aged between 18-21. Not many sanl teams rely on afl dropped players nor do the supporters of the sanfl clubs go to watch the afl dropped players, Do it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great idea, i reckon impacted would be small to sanfl and wafl teams if the top up players have to be aged between 18-21. Not many sanl teams rely on afl dropped players nor do the supporters of the sanfl clubs go to watch the afl dropped players, Do it

Raises an interesting question as to how are the top-up players allocated? Is there a 'reserves' draft? Do we go back to a zoning component? Will clubs get first dibs on any players from their reserves list? Will the rookie list be extended to include all reserves players?

Assuming the SANFL supplies the Crows and Port with additional players and if the SANFL is anything like the WAFL, most clubs would have at most 2-3 AFL listed players returning to their side each week. Not only will those 2-3 players per team no longer be available, but another 10+ players per AFL club will need to be found. Taking the best 20 young players from the SANFL has to have some kind of impact surely?

Would love to see this happen. Be great if the rookie lists were expanded, it would be great for struggling clubs like Richmond, plus clubs would take more chances on 50/50 talent.

Could they kill off the TAC Cup and get the kids playing for the AFL Reserves teams? Probably the best place to get the extra players from. Also add to the fact the kids will be playing with the big boys at an earlier stage meaning they may be able to come into the frame a bit earlier.

AFL Lists could look like this:

40x Senior players.
25x Young players from 17-19. Ineligible to play senior footy but will get invaluable experience.

Raise the draft age a year or two (to 19 years old as of the draft day). Have two drafts - one a reserves draft at the age of 17 and one a national draft at 19. Allow clubs to be able to pick up a number (probably 2) of players in which they want to promote to the senior list instead of going through the national draft.\\

Interstate teams with such a large draft pool and only two teams could possibly have 3rds or even 4ths and play against all the other interstate teams. So Adelaide, Port, West Coast, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sydney and West Sydney will play off in a thirds competition to get as many youngsters playing as possible.

Won't happen. I think the current system isn't too bad, although having Brisbane and Sydney play against teams who are VAFA B-Grade Level is probably not the way to do it.

Is anyone genuinely disadvantaged from playing in the current ressies system? I think the current system has probably saved the VFL as people who never supported the VFA are heading along to see their reserves players running around.

This is hardly news, surprised that Pickering picked up on it SO quickly, April 10 in WAs Fairfax press, interviewed on Melbourne radio last week.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/we...p-as-a-certainty/story-e6frg1wu-1225852245977

The announcement of a second-tier AFL competition could even be approved before the end of this season.
Subsequent extended player lists with reserves teams will have a devastating impact on WA football, with West Coast and Fremantle players no longer aligned to WAFL clubs.
Local clubs would also be savaged in recruiting with significantly increased demands for bigger player lists at the highest level.
It is estimated that Eagles and Dockers reserves teams in a national second-tier competition would cost up to $2 million a season each to run.

Some clubs have the benefit of having their own reserves teams already.

I would certainly like to see this. I reckon it'll be good for the state leagues - they can revert to being their own teams and not just drop-off locations for AFL squads. That may or may not cause a drop in quality but at least the old identities will be re-established. There will certainly have to be considerations made to list size and all the rest of it, but in principle I am all for it.

I think the Interstaters will, not that it affects the swans since we control our own reserves. But for those not clear on what is meant by a National Reserves Comp the claim is that all AFL teams will have a reserves team that play the other AFL reserves teams. So the Swans Reserves will play the West Coast reserves, Port's ressies will play Brisvegas's Ressies. Gellongs Ressies will get annihilated by Freo's Ressies. Etc ad nausium.

Pickers also said that it would be played as a curtain raiser.

Would love the Curtain Raiser Back

Remove this Banner Ad

Back