List Mgmt. National & Rookie Draft 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, thought you might like to have this resource on your board (scuse the intrusion!) – mods might like to sticky it so it's visible at the top of the thread

Tend to agree but if we got Hobbs or Ward (by some miracle) I'd want them lining up on the ball round 1 in Gresham's place. Gresh coming back from injury and equally as important in the F50. I'd like us for once to draft a mid and play them as a damn mid straight up.

Otherwise I'd like Clark starting on the ball this season.

Occasionally you get someone like Jack Viney, or even Luke Dunstan who does that , but lots of them , Lenny Hayes, Patrick Cripps and scores of others...Dont.
Luke Ball , who could really only play that inside mid role , took a gap year.

I'm not a massive clean disposal advocate. Chaos footy has beaten control footy for years and I doubt it snaps back any time soon. Would you have Dangerfield or Jarrod Mc Veigh? Lots of guns are just adequate kicks. Petracca was in the worst disposal efficiency stats this year but I doubt anyone at Melbourne is complaining.

As long as i don't have Mark McVeigh.

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
We already have a few of them. None of our on-ballers are good kicks, I'd like at least one.
Yep Yep Yep..Its like takeaway! if I'm looking at getting a burger, I want one with the Lot plus pineapple, beetroot and double bacon ...add a splash of tabasco (a personal fave)....that's what we need right now...as close to that as we can get... that means disposal , ball magnet , vicious both ways and skill plus!....if not possible then i want sushi preferably some kind of bento box special.!!!! Maybe thats a key defender! i dont know!

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Yeah I'm hoping McLennan, Beilby, Peris and/or Kyle get picked up as Cat B's

Here's all of our NGA's currently.

ST KILDA
Alecsander McComb
Declan McComb
Jack Peris
Mitchito Owens
Leon Alao
Scott Beilby
David Lega Frost
Angus McLennan
Rhys Gillard
Josiah Kyle
Marcus Windhager

Source: https://www.afl.com.au/news/561218/2021-nga-list

Declan McComb sounds like the frontman for a Pogues tribute band

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
This is way more boring than last year and twice as boring as the year before , oh * no, its exponential boredom....ahhhhhhhhhhhh! ! What the * someone get contravertical for pity's sake! There's only so much cab sav a man can drink! Contra something anyway!

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Is anybody else worried that all Goater does in his highlights package , is butcher the ball by foot.
I’m not that impressed by the scrout if that’s his highlights package what’s he do when he’s having a bad game. Some of those errors where under little pressure and does he have a left leg. I watched Goddard at the mcg back in the day when he played for vic country. He didn’t kill it on that particular day but his skills, desire and game smarts were still on full display.

Has anyone on here actually watched the kid play, he’s a nice size and seems to be able to play all over the ground so he’d be a good get if his skills are up to it.

Yep Yep Yep..Its like takeaway! if I'm looking at getting a burger, I want one with the Lot plus pineapple, beetroot and double bacon ...add a splash of tabasco (a personal fave)....that's what we need right now...as close to that as we can get... that means disposal , ball magnet , vicious both ways and skill plus!....if not possible then i want sushi preferably some kind of bento box special.!!!! Maybe thats a key defender! i dont know!

I think pineapple just means his shorts are hitched up too high. We can do without the pineapple.

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
Josh Dunkley is AA that was taken at pick 25

As I said, this is a very different draft than most. You are getting too caught up with numbers.

There will be quality mids taken outside the top 10 this year. And we have pick 11.

You can put as many fast or classy flankers as you want in that side, but if we continue with an average midfield we won't get far.

There aren't too many premierships sides with a midfield as average as ours unfortunately.

Luckily most of the mids projected to go top 20 are also versatile and can play other roles. Even Owens and Windy have played mostly across the flanks this.
Recruiters have barely seen these kids for the last two years compared to previous drafts they‘re flying blind. This is exactly the kind of draft where clubs may be keen on kids who have trained at the club or for whatever reason had more exposure. Imo this year more than any draft in recent history is likely to have some big misses and great bargains. I wish Stewart 66 was still posting he had a good handle on some of these kids, I haven’t watched any except on tv for two years.

Last edited:

prophetic1

Club Legend
Apr 18, 2013
b
AFL Club
St Kilda
Recruiters have barely seen these kids for the last two years compared to previous drafts they‘re flying blind. This is exactly the kind of draft where clubs may be keen on kids who have trained at the club or for whatever reason had more exposure. Imo this year more than any draft in recent history is likely to have some big misses and great bargains. I wish Stewart 66 was still posting he had a good handle on some of these kids, I haven’t watched any expect on tv for two years.
I hope he is still alive! Sincerely!

Yawkey way

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Red sox
I'm not a massive clean disposal advocate. Chaos footy has beaten control footy for years and I doubt it snaps back any time soon. Would you have Dangerfield or Jarrod Mc Veigh? Lots of guns are just adequate kicks. Petracca was in the worst disposal efficiency stats this year but I doubt anyone at Melbourne is complaining.
Is this some kind of dunstan withdrawal, give yourself a slap and then have a drink. Inside mids are often under immense pressure so yeah they turn a few over but out in space with time I’m sure most have pretty good skills. Turning the ball over is a sure fire way to loose, good sides hit targets.

Sep 14, 2008
L2 A30
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
How would you feel if our club was the one trading out our second?
We traded out our first in 2016 and got back the future first, an early 2nd and a late second. Some here still didn't like the deal.

Some here wouldn't be happy if we traded a pick 100 for Bont.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
Not that I'm opposed to doing that, but we shouldn't just automatically rookie them because they are NGAs. It's different to Owens and Windhager, I'd only be grabbing them if we think they actually could be something. Maybe they are, but it doesn't sound like there is much interest from other clubs in them even as rookies.
We should absolutely rookie them, because it's a free swing.

We already have a few of them. None of our on-ballers are good kicks, I'd like at least one.

Steele goes okay IMO, probably one of the cleanest high possession mids in the comp. Crouch and Jones both look better at the Saints than they were at previous clubs. Gresham is the only noticeably messy kick left.

Aug 28, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Coventry City
Forgive my stupidity if this is a dumb question, but is there ANY reason the Roos shouldn’t call out Daicos and Darcy first before Horne? The Pies and Dogs would definitely match as they won’t get them at their first picks. Wouldn’t it be smart to get them to use up their picks just to spite them?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Ephemeral Hope

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 24, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Forgive my stupidity if this is a dumb question, but is there ANY reason the Roos shouldn’t call out Daicos and Darcy first before Horne? The Pies and Dogs would definitely match as they won’t get them at their first picks. Wouldn’t it be smart to get them to use up their picks just to spite them?

They wanna screw us over by having not as many draft points move up

Sep 7, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Pumped and nervous as hell about getting both Mitchito and Windhager. Feeling almost as invested as when Bailey Rice was weighing up the Blues/us decision. Bring on draft day 2.

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda

Yeah I think clubs rarely bid with pick 1 because they don’t want to say to the guy they end up with “we thought the others were better”. Might also be a bit of relationships stuff with the other clubs - the Pies and Dogs say to North “don’t bid abs well treat you better later”.

Ailurus

Senior List
Aug 26, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
We should absolutely rookie them, because it's a free swing.
But my point is we could pick anyone as a free swing to fill those 2 spots, if we think they are good great, but if they don't look like much grab someone else as a Cat B, no point taking one to fill a list spot if we already know they aren't good enough just because they are an NGA

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda
But my point is we could pick anyone as a free swing to fill those 2 spots, if we think they are good great, but if they don't look like much grab someone else as a Cat B, no point taking one to fill a list spot if we already know they aren't good enough just because they are an NGA
Cat B is restricted entry. So we can't just pick anyone else. It also sits outside the main list and salary cap.
I'd rather a long shot that plays footy than another basketballer.

ScrappyDo

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2018
Omnipotent
AFL Club
St Kilda

Coz there's really no benefit for them to do it. They'd lose the prestige and do their kid out of 10k.

snails13

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
St Kilda

Rawlings said on SEN last week, they will be picking who they think is the best player in the draft,and at this stage we will be selecting Horne Francis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back