Fremantle

Pros
1. No more players sitting in Peels Seconds
2. Develop players in their roles that will play in the AFL
3. Build culture

Cons
1. Cost
2. Peel will struggle and may not survive

West Coast with $90m in the bank and making huge profits each year and couldn't care less about Peel. It's a no brainer to them.

Fremantle most years has a slight profit or loss, the cost is something we can't afford.

By the way, Peel might better off relocating to Bunbury.

I'm against it as it would kill the WAFL, if I didn't care about the WAFL then I'd be all for it tbh

Who are we poaching our AFL reserves topup players from if not the WAFL? they have to come from somewhere

100%

Be careful what you wish for.

Alot of "WAFL" fans want Fremantle and West Coast out the competition. What they don't see is Fremantle is supporting Peel and West Coast's $1m fee is supporting the struggling WAFL clubs.
The wafc owns all of them, the whole kit and kaboodle

The wafc owns all of them, the whole kit and kaboodle
If it doesnt kill the WAFL, it relegates it to basically Ammo's. The AFL clubs are going to take good players to prop up numbers (and players will want to play for these clubs to have ANY shot of getting on an AFL list).

The WAFL might exist but it'd become a generation away from basically merging with the WAAFL (which might be best anyway)

If it doesnt kill the WAFL, it relegates it to basically Ammo's. The AFL clubs are going to take good players to prop up numbers (and players will want to play for these clubs to have ANY shot of getting on an AFL list).

The WAFL might exist but it'd become a generation away from basically merging with the WAAFL (which might be best anyway)
Reckon you’re right.

The WAFL will survive. In my opinion it will be a better comp without AFL listed players moping around in it, wishing they were somewhere else. Even if you took forty players out of the eight proper WAFL clubs, which won't happen, the average punter that attends a WAFL game would cope with the marginal (and that's what it will be, marginal) reduction in player quality to see a proper uncorrupted comp played by blokes that want to be there. There's every chance an AFL reserve comp will coincide with significantly expanded AFL lists and no intraseason poaching.
Honestly the overall experience of a WAFL game already exceeds the manufactured slop of AFL in some respects (closeness to the action, access to players, the complete lack of some ******* playing guitar on the stadium roof). This will just make it better. And the WAFC will not let WAFL die

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon an amalgamation with PFL would be awesome for the WAFL. Basically WAFL teams start as the new A grade level teams and every other division drops a grade.

All clubs can pay players and stops under the table payments in the ammos.

There would be even more incentive to try get top 2 and all of a sudden we’ve got a Kingsway or TA’s up against East Fremantle.

Reckon an amalgamation with PFL would be awesome for the WAFL. Basically WAFL teams start as the new A grade level teams and every other division drops a grade.

All clubs can pay players and stops under the table payments in the ammos.

There would be even more incentive to try get top 2 and all of a sudden we’ve got a Kingsway or TA’s up against East Fremantle.
…Also give it a couple years and Barich will be the President of a team in C3.

The WAFL will survive. In my opinion it will be a better comp without AFL listed players moping around in it, wishing they were somewhere else. Even if you took forty players out of the eight proper WAFL clubs, which won't happen, the average punter that attends a WAFL game would cope with the marginal (and that's what it will be, marginal) reduction in player quality to see a proper uncorrupted comp played by blokes that want to be there. There's every chance an AFL reserve comp will coincide with significantly expanded AFL lists and no intraseason poaching.
Honestly the overall experience of a WAFL game already exceeds the manufactured slop of AFL in some respects (closeness to the action, access to players, the complete lack of some ******* playing guitar on the stadium roof). This will just make it better. And the WAFC will not let WAFL die
Would the WAFC would have a choice? There is still a generation who have loyalty from the WAFL's glory days that prop it up and most clubs already struggle. Wipe away that generation and where does it sit?

To be honest, I'm not even sure it's a bad thing but I'm sure the WAFL as it is now effectively dies if this happens. It probably would have happened anyway but I think this would speed it up

Would the WAFC would have a choice? There is still a generation who have loyalty from the WAFL's glory days that prop it up and most clubs already struggle. Wipe away that generation and where does it sit?

To be honest, I'm not even sure it's a bad thing but I'm sure the WAFL as it is now effectively dies if this happens. It probably would have happened anyway but I think this would speed it up
I don't know what you're on about to be honest. The WAFC annual report came out literally one day ago that said crowds this year are up 20-30% for some traditional clubs. Even if you accept fudged figures, post COVID bounce etc, there's more upside than downside. Anecdote of 1 kid, my 16 year old son goes to every Souths home game with his mates. My 18 year old likes basketball, he's dead to me.

I don't know what you're on about to be honest. The WAFC annual report came out literally one day ago that said crowds this year are up 20-30% for some traditional clubs. Even if you accept fudged figures, post COVID bounce etc, there's more upside than downside. Anecdote of 1 kid, my 16 year old son goes to every Souths home game with his mates. My 18 year old likes basketball, he's dead to me.
Those clubs would need someone to play against and Peel and Perth would die and Freo and WC would inhale another teams worth of players from across the league. Only a matter of time before they step in to change development pathways (which are supposedly completely broken in WA) and change / remove Colts and that will be the final nail.

Agree to disagree and we'll see where it all ends up

I can remember the 1980s with the West Australian and The Daily News giving us pages of WANFL content every day.

Footy Inquest on Friday night. World of Football on Sunday from 12:00 noon.

Game of the week on TV. And tens of thousands still at the footy on Saturday afternoon.

The Sandover was broadcast live.

Stephen Michael was a legend known by everyone without ever going east.

40,000+ at a Tuesday afternoon state of origin game .

The WANFL/WAFL has been in decline for 35 years. April 1987 was its death knell. It's just that quite a few didn't realise it at the time.

AFL reserves will just speed it up.

Last edited:
Where is Freo going to get the money to pay these top up player’s ?, the best player’s in the WAFL won’t play AFL reserves you’ll get the same sort of top up players WC are getting , guys that can’t get a regular league game at other WAFL clubs.

Last edited:
Where is Freo going to get the money to pay these top up player’s ?
They wouldnt be on much, it'd be like 100k MAX between like 11 players. I imagine the more costly thing is flying and housing an extra 22+ players interstate every 2nd week. That cant be cheap though we are pretty strong financially anyway

Remove this Banner Ad

Back