Remove this Banner Ad

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
BTW anyone who thinks an inner city relocation is easy and possible needs to look at the Dees.

Last I heard they were still searching. Their KPI was the location had to be within a short distance of the MCG. Options were NE corner of Yarra Park (already rejected), Fawkner Park (i believe its been rejected, but not 100% sure), and Melbourne Uni (off mem the Dees rejected because its too far from the MCG)

Toadvine

17?19?
Feb 29, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
BTW anyone who thinks an inner city relocation is easy and possible needs to look at the Dees.

Last I heard they were still searching. Their KPI was the location had to be within a short distance of the MCG. Options were NE corner of Yarra Park (already rejected), Fawkner Park (i believe its been rejected, but not 100% sure), and Melbourne Uni (off mem the Dees rejected because its too far from the MCG)
They had that other option under the Bolte bridge in Docklands too. I'm not sure what happened there but no one in their right mind would want to call that suburb home and I'm speaking from 10+ years experience working there.

SunshineBoy

πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†
Jan 3, 2012
In Covid Free wilderness
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks
Saying we need to demolish the JDS or move is just an ambit claim.
It's not just Richmond's history it's Melbourne's history.
Millions of people in Melbourne are familiar with the stand as it is in a prominent position.
If removed , Punt Rd oval would look crap and homogeneous .
Ffs they tore down the MCG members stand, the long room and no ptotests, I would suggest that they had heritage considerations etc, and were still quite serviceable instead of our asbestos ridden possum house

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Ffs they tore down the MCG members stand, the long room and no ptotests, I would suggest that they had heritage considerations etc, and were still quite serviceable instead of our asbestos ridden possum house
Yes and look at the MCG now. Just another big stadium without character.

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
They had that other option under the Bolte bridge in Docklands too. I'm not sure what happened there but no one in their right mind would want to call that suburb home and I'm speaking from 10+ years experience working there.
I go past that area every day, and that would be the worst place to base.

Not much room at all, and sucking in exhaust and cement dust

SunshineBoy

πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†
Jan 3, 2012
In Covid Free wilderness
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks
Yes and look at the MCG now. Just another big stadium without character.
Irrelevant comment , there was no gnashing of teeth when they tore it down. And I would suggest it had more heritage worthiness

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
The 100,000 comfortable seats.
Architecturally, the view looking up the Yarra from Southbank is stunningView attachment 1110263
In general though , most grounds have little character these days.
Docklands is an awful atmosphere and stadium especially with the roof closed.
The G has history but it's not unique looking anymore. There should be a grasses area with trees. You might laugh but concrete stadiums are confronting and unnatural to a lot of people.
The Adelaide oval did a good job, they still have fig trees in the ground I think.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
The G has history but it's not unique looking anymore. There should be a grasses area with trees. You might laugh but concrete stadiums are confronting and unnatural to a lot of people.
The Adelaide oval did a good job, they still have fig trees in the ground I think.
Eh I've been around the world and visited plenty of stadiums old and new and find them all interesting and beautiful, no matter the building material. To say the MCG is lacking character is pretty rich considering the reputation it has locally and overseas.

Character and culture are not defined by standing still. Constant evolution is what allows character and culture to develop.

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Eh I've been around the world and visited plenty of stadiums old and new and find them all interesting and beautiful, no matter the building material. To say the MCG is lacking character is pretty rich considering the reputation it has locally and overseas.

Character and culture are not defined by standing still. Constant evolution is what allows character and culture to develop.
Yeah but a couple of trees wouldn't hurt, in fact it would look magnificent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

harrythetiger

Jack Graham That Is πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Sure, but that would miss the main purpose of the stadium - to fit a sh*t load of people in to watch sporting events. Much like the main purpose of PRO is to serve the Richmond Football Club.

TigerMoz1973

Club Legend
Jan 2, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
So I go to my first VFL game today since 2019 looking forward to watching MRJ CCJ & our reserves playing a good game of footy.
I take this picture of the beautiful Jack Dyer stand. What's wrong with this picture though? That's right no one's sitting in it because it's derelict.
The rain precedes to piss down and we have nothing but a tree to stand under. I'm now soaking wet with 3 hours until the AFL game and thinking I need to go home or simply endure being wet for the rest of the day.
Tear this white elephant down and do something proper with the space. The stand looks nice but apart from that it's bloody useless. You telling me Jack Dyer would want this useless possum house holding the mighty Tigers back?
20210424_144146.jpg
I don't think so

Toadvine

17?19?
Feb 29, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
So I go to my first VFL game today since 2019 looking forward to watching MRJ CCJ & our reserves playing a good game of footy.
I take this picture of the beautiful Jack Dyer stand. What's wrong with this picture though? That's right no one's sitting in it because it's derelict.
The rain precedes to piss down and we have nothing but a tree to stand under. I'm now soaking wet with 3 hours until the AFL game and thinking I need to go home or simply endure being wet for the rest of the day.
Tear this white elephant down and do something proper with the space. The stand looks nice but apart from that it's bloody useless. You telling me Jack Dyer would want this useless possum house holding the mighty Tigers back?View attachment 1110383 I don't think so
Case closed.

Tear it down. (Sorry I know that upsets some posters when I word it that way)

Gently take it down slowly and Lovingly...

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
hasnt the mcg been enclosed by stands for well over 100 years?

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
But its of more value to the community.to have a tree behind a fence (next to spacious parkland) than it is to have community facilities in said space next to parkland
but not a hill or bloody trees

you seem to want professional footy to return to something that it was in at the turn of the century

for that, there is country footy.

Remove this Banner Ad