SunshineBoy

πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†
Jan 3, 2012
In Covid Free wilderness
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks
why dont you say lets play our home games on the moon then? its just as likely - especially AFTER the govt just gave millions to Princes Park to make it an AFLW hub

when coming up with ideas, do you even think of the cost implications or public waste?
When archeologists dig up australia in 2000 years it will be all football stadiums

SunshineBoy

πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†
Jan 3, 2012
In Covid Free wilderness
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks
Given its condemned, they would have to dismantle it, tagging every piece as they do. Then re-engineer around what they can use again, what they are going to have to replace. And then rebuild.

Again, for the five hundredth time, the club costed this option AND the idea of relocating the stand to another suburban oval. It was too cost prohibitive
I spoke to a close friend who is in heritage restoration architecture , and he said tear it down

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Out of interest do you know what they'd rather do instead of cars parking there? Honestly myself I'd rather have grass used as car parking than grass to look at from an environmentally friendly viewpoint

If they were going to plant it out with indigenous vegetation or something/utilise the space for community sure...

But grass for the sake of grass totally goes against true "green" spirit.
more trees, and used solely as a public park

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bayern Munich, Tottenham Hotspur
Interesting.... I don't mind more trees but I don't get how the grass isn't useful as public park on non-match days in its current form

Unless they plan on putting a giant playground outside every gate and 10 BBQs

Plenty of grass for kicking balls, taichi, yoga, cricket, picnics etc as is...

But that's an argument for another thread
more trees, and used solely as a public park

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Interesting.... I don't mind more trees but I don't get how the grass isn't useful as public park on non-match days in its current form

Unless they plan on putting a giant playground outside every gate and 10 BBQs

Plenty of grass for kicking balls, taichi, yoga, cricket, picnics etc as is...

But that's an argument for another thread
The cars are bad for the trees, which is why the prohibition perimeter has been getting larger

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Well that's fair enough then, I'm happy to see car parking reduced

Personally I use a bike or public transport 99% of the time

We should turf the turf around the trees too while we are there and help the trees a bit more because it sucks
The cars are bad for the trees, which is why the prohibition perimeter has been getting larger

Bojangles17

Hall of Famer
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd β€˜17? β€˜19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Last Friday night , I walked in behind the stand , I gotta say , there’s a sh*t ton of space behind the goals to build a structure . Ffs what are we trying to do , house half the public service. If we can’t demolish the stand then just get on with it . Gut the old stand and create new change rooms and gym and then add new structure . It’s that simple . Might cost a few lousy million more , who cares , just get it done

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Last Friday night , I walked in behind the stand , I gotta say , there’s a sh*t ton of space behind the goals to build a structure . Ffs what are we trying to do , house half the public service. If we can’t demolish the stand then just get on with it . Gut the old stand and create new change rooms and gym and then add new structure . It’s that simple . Might cost a few lousy million more , who cares , just get it done
I'm not a builder myself, but how easy is it to get permits to gut and renovate a building of that age in that state that can't even have people on it?
And then what happens to the staff and facilities houses in the stand currently?
We also then lose the space for fans around the goal end... Seeing as we can't use the stand as it is I feel like reducing capacity further is not the outcome we want?

harrythetiger

Jack Graham That Is πŸ†πŸ†πŸ†
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
The space behind the goals won’t help widen the ground

Toadvine

17?19?
Feb 29, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
I'm sure the club looked at every possibility that included keeping the grandstand.

I do love that people think the attitude of "just do it" "make it happen" and "get creative" can be applied to a construction/engineering problem for a non profit sporting team.

May 1, 2016
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Needs more creative thinking like residential property developers who find a way to squeeze every inch out of a block of land and build fence to fence 2 stories high monster homes
I'm sure the club looked at every possibility that included keeping the grandstand.

I do love that people think the attitude of "just do it" "make it happen" and "get creative" can be applied to a construction/engineering problem for a non profit sporting team.

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
I'm not a builder myself, but how easy is it to get permits to gut and renovate a building of that age in that state that can't even have people on it?
And then what happens to the staff and facilities houses in the stand currently?
We also then lose the space for fans around the goal end... Seeing as we can't use the stand as it is I feel like reducing capacity further is not the outcome we want?
the fact noone is allowed inside it, and only 30 people are allowed in the stand should indicate how f’ed the structure is. it needs to be completely rebuilt to be structurally sound, and this means dismantling it completely, figuring out what can be reused and what cannot. designing a way to engineer around the stuff that gets turfed, and then rebuild/reassemble.

this process is not cheap

the club is on record saying that they looked at dismantling and rebuilding the stand at another location, but the cost was prohibitive. my gut call (and its only a gut call) is this probably indicates how delicate the structure is, and home much of the existing structure is no longer viable

The Goon

Premium Platinum
Aug 2, 2010
Hell Yeah
AFL Club
Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad