News National Trust tackles Richmond on grandstand demolition

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
What are the other solutions?

We have a training facility that doesn't cater for the womens teams.
We don't have adequate changerooms for opposition sides to use when game are played at Punt Road.
We don't have enough office space to house all the off field staff plus the KGI.
If we can't fit them all in then either the club stops expanding or it is forced to move elsewhere to accommodate the off field side of the game and also fully utilise the facilities for training purposes.
and the bachar houli academy

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
What are the other solutions?

We have a training facility that doesn't cater for the womens teams.
We don't have adequate changerooms for opposition sides to use when game are played at Punt Road.
We don't have enough office space to house all the off field staff plus the KGI.
If we can't fit them all in then either the club stops expanding or it is forced to move elsewhere to accommodate the off field side of the game and also fully utilise the facilities for training purposes.
We'll have to have another location in the future anyway.
We could make a special request to buy some parkland next door.

Rayzorwire

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
FNQ
AFL Club
Richmond
I suspect this is the major issue.

Not sure it would be possible to retain the stand and squeeze a playing surface the size of the G into the space between the stand, Punt Rd., and Brunton Ave.

Personally, I like these old stands and would like the Jack Dyer Stand to stay, but also want the club to do everything possible to ensure future success.

These problems are always open to solution but only if you throw enough money at it so it's ultimately a question of how much are people prepared to spend.
For what it's worth, I used Google earth images to cut and paste the playing surface of the G over the playing surface of Punt Rd Oval.

It gives an idea of the problem we're facing.

I turned the G surface into a grey "blob" so it can be easily seen. It was a bit hard to see otherwise.

View attachment 1107785
Yep, that picture says it all, the stand going is the only way to fit in the ground dimensions we really need.

Personally, I know this may sound weird to some, but I think the turf itself - grown over the blood and sweat of generations of Richmond men - is way more sacred than the stand.

We have to do all we can to make Punt Rd our much improved training base and home forever.

Punt Road dimensions 159 x 124m
MCG dimensions 173.6 x 148.4 playing surface is 160 x 141m

Effectively 24m shorter and 24m narrower, amazing how we can play the MCG so well when our training ground is so different in size.
Nice work mate, I went down the rabbit hole a fair way and couldn't find that info. :thumbsu:

It'll be a huge advantage into the future to train on the same size ground we play on. We've been saying it for decades and it's time to make it happen. :richmond:

harrythetiger

Jack Graham That Is 🏆🏆🏆
Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
Why do you have to 'tear it down' , it sounds like your enjoying it.
Jack Dyers ghost is not happy.
Jack Dyer’s family gave the green light to it. It is is misrepresenting the greatest figure in the club’s history to suggest he would want the stand to remain in the way of the club’s development.
Jack’s legacy isn’t a stand, a statue or a medal. His legacy is the club itself. Sticking doing the same old things when it was obvious the game was moving ahead of that put the club back decades. All clubs are pumping money into developing incredible training facilities. We need to do the same or we risk repeating the same mistakes of the 80s.
That would definitely make Jack unhappy.

Tigeral

Debutant
Apr 6, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Thank god wiser heads may prevail over the bulldozer brigade. Incredibly significant structure, to the club and to the Yarra Park/Richmond community. And what justification to it's removal? Creative architecture all that is required to have a wonderful blend of the old and new at PRO, there is oodles of space as I have shown with maps posted previously.

We already see the furphy 'It goes or we go' getting rolled out in response...as if any club would leave the greatest real estate in football because the offices are getting cramped..cram in together and enjoy it, the club won't always be this big and successful, we will shrink again when we inevitably fall down the table. That's football, boom and bust.

Finally, the fact that we have been a GOAT side the last 4 years with a training ground that is a mash-up of the MCG and Kardinia Park ground shapes puts paid to that argument too.

I just don't see a foothold for the demolishonists on this one.
Bump.

repost the maps please. People need to keep seeing what is possible. Too many believe the hype that it’s not possible.

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
We'll have to have another location in the future anyway.
We could make a special request to buy some parkland next door.
GC will win the 2021 flag before this happens

The MCC only administers the park, its ultimately owned by the govt. There is already a massive push to ban cars 100% from Yarra Park, and the Dees proposal to take a corner didnt even get past the thought bubble stage. If the MCC were drunk enough to even consider the request, the Greens and the council would be getting the State to intervene before you can say boo.

So the land we have is what we have

I reckon it looks great. It's a classic looking grandstand where people cheered for Jack Dyer.
and thats all its good for, looking at

its condemned and uninsurable, so we cannot have people working inside it.

its condemned and uninsurable, so we can only have 30 punters on it.

whats the ******* point of a grand stand for 30 people???

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Jack Dyer’s family gave the green light to it. It is is misrepresenting the greatest figure in the club’s history to suggest he would want the stand to remain in the way of the club’s development.
Jack’s legacy isn’t a stand, a statue or a medal. His legacy is the club itself. Sticking doing the same old things when it was obvious the game was moving ahead of that put the club back decades. All clubs are pumping money into developing incredible training facilities. We need to do the same or we risk repeating the same mistakes of the 80s.
That would definitely make Jack unhappy.
That's true but the National Trust wants it kept.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bojangles17

Hall of Famer
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Lots of space to right of stand and under the stand would need to be utilised for either training or admin amenities . It can be done . Yep it would be easy to bulldoze it but it won’t happen, if it wasnt the heritage trust , Yarra council would buckle to militant objectors that would likely Bob up . Just get on with developing the joint

Attachments

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Lots of space to right of stand and under the stand would need to be utilised for either training or admin amenities . It can be done . Yep it would be easy to bulldoze it but it won’t happen, if it wasnt the heritage trust , Yarra council would buckle to militant objectors that would likely Bob up . Just get on with developing the joint
1) its MCC not YCC (the council boundary is punt road)

2) the joint is essentially condemned. to do what you want we would have to dismantle the entire thing, relocate it, build the new foundation, rebuild . As KiwiTiger and Benny have told us previously, the club has looked at the cost of relocating the stand, and its not viable.

Bojangles17

Hall of Famer
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
Don't be a liar.
They didn't consult with heritage experts in the first place, the National Trust.
Punt Road Oval is part of a heritage sports precinct.
Two wrongs don't make a right.
If they had consulted properly, all of this rigmarole could have been avoided.
You won’t get a genuine response until plans are submitted . The clubs within its rights to table development plans , its supposedly not even listed however it’s now reported as having significance. In my view there’s the long road or we make concessions and get on with it . There’s a argument that if the mcc were able to bowl over the long room and then some that this is beyond the pale. My experience with councils and inner city objectors is they won’t lie down

Aug 24, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
It is disrespectful to our history get rid of it unnecessarily imo.
I wonder what opinion Rhett Bartlett has.
Considering that the club museum is currently closed because we have no space for it and it was going to be relocated on top of the tiger land superstore (that is currently office space) I dare say he would be pretty happy

Ned_Flanders

Premium Platinum
Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76'ers
Peggy said this at the AGM:

"We will be extremely conscious of historical elements of the Stand which can be preserved in the new facility and our Club Historian, Rhett Bartlett, will be heavily involved in meeting this objective. "

you could also ask him if he still checks in - rbartlett

Bojangles17

Hall of Famer
May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
1) its MCC not YCC (the council boundary is punt road)

2) the joint is essentially condemned. to do what you want we would have to dismantle the entire thing, relocate it, build the new foundation, rebuild . As KiwiTiger and Benny have told us previously, the club has looked at the cost of relocating the stand, and its not viable.
Oh mcc not sure whether that helps or not , does the condition of the structure influence decision from heritage trust

Serenity_Now

All Australian
Oct 7, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
But they’re not getting rid of it unnecessarily, in order to increase the ground dimensions, increase attendance capacity for VFL/AFLW and provide better facilities for staff and all the playing groups it is necessary that the stand be removed.

Aristotle Pickett

Premium Platinum
Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
But they’re not getting rid of it unnecessarily, in order to increase the ground dimensions, increase attendance capacity for VFL/AFLW and provide better facilities for staff and all the playing groups it is necessary that the stand be removed.
The girls could train somewhere else easily

Remove this Banner Ad